I can't see my network any more....

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Scope, Feb 1, 2006.

  1. Scope

    Scope Guest

    Hi all

    If anyone can help me with this I would really appreciate it.

    My "high-speed mode wireless G desktop network card" (FD57001) has stopped
    working. It was working for just about a week after I installed it. I have
    been
    trawling through web forums looking for ideas to get it going again, but to
    no avail.

    I put my brand new Belkin router and wifi card in place, carefully following
    the manufacturer's installation instructions as I did so,
    and without any big problem everything worked first time. For about a week.
    I have gone back to the cable connection to my router which gives me
    internet access. It also allows me to check the router config which looks
    fine. But my network card is not picking up anything - neither my network,
    nor my neighbour's which I could see previously.
    I have WEP-128 enabled on my router, but I don't get the opportunity to
    enter the key as I can't see the network.
    I am using W2K, and Norton Internet Security.

    It seems that some background process is messing up the wifi card, but what
    is it...???

    Also - the Belkin wireless config utility has a diagnostic tool which tells
    me that the card is working fine. The windows device manager tells me that
    too.

    any ideas?
    thanks in advance

    Enda

    Scope, Feb 1, 2006

  2. Hi

    Make sure that the Wireless Card is installed correctly by looking at the
    device manger. http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ghost

    Then temporarily disable all software firewalls Antivirus and AntiSpyware,
    or any other special program that might intercept the TCP/IP Stack.

    Disable the Wireless security in the Router and start from scratch.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 2, 2006

  3. Scope

    Enda Guest

    Thanks for the reply.

    I reinstalled the card (not for the first time), but this time using a
    different slot.
    I noticed that both my Ethernet card and wireless card were previously
    sharing IRQ 19, but not any more.
    Again, the installation went without a problem and I can now see the card in
    the Windows device manager.
    It says everything is ok, as does the Belkin diagnostics tool.

    Disabling encryption and norton internet security doesn't change much. I
    still can't see my network.

    In different places I am getting messages like "network cable unplugged" and
    "cable disconnected" (see below).
    Does this mean simply that it can't find any wireless network or something
    more serious, like a problem with the antenna?

    thanks for any further help you can give

    Enda

    ---------------------------

    Windows 2000 IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : enda-bpwsq8vfk1
    Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Enda

    Ethernet adapter Wifi card:
    Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Cable Disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Belkin 802.11g Network Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-50-3E-8B-98

    Ethernet adapter Cable:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Enda
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139(A) PCI Fast
    Ethernet Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0A-E6-D9-51-B5
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    195.162.196.3
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 02 February 2006 13:15:35
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 19 January 2038 04:14:07

    Enda, Feb 2, 2006