    Please advise.

    Thanks,

    Grant

    Grant Waldie, Jun 11, 2006

  2. Grant Waldie

    Rectum Burn Guest

    Grant Waldie <> said in news:2006061019310516807-
    gjwaldie@hotmailcom:

    > When I go the the newsgroup alt.binaries.movies.divx  it says "11 items
    > (in 3983 of 3983 posts).  How can I view the other posts?  I can only
    > see 11 items on my screen.  Is there a button I press, like "show next
    > items"?
    >
    > It seems like there is a lot of content in these newsgroups, but I
    > can't seem to access it.
    >
    > Please advise.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Grant

    Try putting one hand over one eye and this will clear right up.

    HTH

    Rectum Burn, Jun 11, 2006

  3. Grant Waldie wrote:

    > When I go the the newsgroup alt.binaries.movies.divx  it says "11 items
    > (in 3983 of 3983 posts).  How can I view the other posts?  I can only
    > see 11 items on my screen.  Is there a button I press, like "show next
    > items"?
    >
    > It seems like there is a lot of content in these newsgroups, but I
    > can't seem to access it.

    Ever heard of "multipart" posts? Now, appears your newsreader already joined
    them together.

    Walter Mautner, Jun 11, 2006
  4. Grant Waldie

    Grant Waldie Guest

    On 2006-06-11 01:47:09 -0700, Walter Mautner
    <> said:

    > Grant Waldie wrote:
    >
    >> When I go the the newsgroup alt.binaries.movies.divx  it says "11 items
    >> (in 3983 of 3983 posts).  How can I view the other posts?  I can only
    >> see 11 items on my screen.  Is there a button I press, like "show next
    >> items"?
    >>
    >> It seems like there is a lot of content in these newsgroups, but I
    >> can't seem to access it.
    >>

    > Ever heard of "multipart" posts? Now, appears your newsreader already joined
    > them together.

    There is a button at the top of my newsreader called "ungroup messages"
    and when I hit that, it will expand the files. For instance, if
    Terminator 2 is broken up into 40 .rar files, it will show all 40
    instead of 1 file called "Terminator 2" but I still won't be able to
    see thousands of posts.

    I'm using a Mac newsreader called Unison, version 1.7.3. Maybe I
    should download a different newsreader?

    Just to clarify, are there thousands of posts in alt.binaries.movies.divx?

    Thanks for politely answering my question (Walter), I've only been
    using newsgroups for two days.

    Grant

    Grant Waldie, Jun 12, 2006
  5. Grant Waldie wrote:

    > There is a button at the top of my newsreader called "ungroup messages"
    > and when I hit that, it will expand the files. For instance, if
    > Terminator 2 is broken up into 40 .rar files, it will show all 40
    > instead of 1 file called "Terminator 2" but I still won't be able to
    > see thousands of posts.
    >
    > I'm using a Mac newsreader called Unison, version 1.7.3. Maybe I
    > should download a different newsreader?

    Ah, ok.
    I also see you post over giganews, probably the paid-for service?

    > Just to clarify, are there thousands of posts in alt.binaries.movies.divx?

    At least more then 40. Saw about 12000 headers (uncombined) here. I don't
    have the same news service, retention time (how long a server does keep
    messages) here is quite low, due to storage space limitations.

    > Thanks for politely answering my question (Walter), I've only been
    > using newsgroups for two days.

    You may want to find a menu point in your reader with something
    like "download all headers". Probably it did only for the last few hundred
    headers as default setting.
    Now, newsgroups are somehow anachronistic for distributing big binaries,
    these days. You may try bittorrent also.

    Walter Mautner, Jun 12, 2006