I can't open XP shared folders from win 98/ME

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?TWFudWVsIFMu?=, Mar 17, 2007.

  1. My home wireless network has 4 PCs: 2 win XP HOME, that don't have any
    problem for sharingfiles and folders, 1 with ME and 1 with 98, that can see
    all the PCs in the network but can't open shared folders in XP, just
    printers. I tried
    disabling xp firewalls but didn't work, so I think the problem is windows....

    This is all what I found at network properties in win me/98:

    Configuration:
    ==========
    *client: Client for MS networks: start session and restore network connections
    *Client: Start sesion in MS Family
    *service: Share printers and files for MS networks: LM Ad:yes, main explore:
    enabled
    *device: Infrared port for IBM
    *device: Telephon access adapter
    *device: xircom Ethernet Network
    *protocol: IRDA for infrared port
    *protocol: TCP/IP for telephon access adapter
    *protocol: TCP/IP for xircom ethernet network

    Main sesion starting: client for ms networks
    printers and files sharing: allow file access, allow printing with my printers

    Identification:
    ============
    PC Name: IBM (or toshiba, we have 2 troubling PCs)
    Workgroup: Home (the right workgroup)

    Access Control:
    ===========
    Resorurces Access control

    NOTES:
    1- On win 98/ME: Clicking on network->see all the network->home-> all
    computers in the net appear
    2- No errors happen, just shared folders don't appear. Only shared printers.
    3- I used in my XP home the network wizard and enabled file sharing
    4- ALL PCs are listed as connected in the wireless network manager
    =?Utf-8?B?TWFudWVsIFMu?=, Mar 17, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TWFudWVsIFMu?=

    sandro Guest

    Re: I can't open XP shared folders from win 98/ME -Manuel

    different file systems.

    win98/me is fat32. xp is ntfs.

    there may be software that allows win98 to read/write to ntfs, though.

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    sandro, Apr 8, 2007

  3. Re: I can't open XP shared folders from win 98/ME - Manuel

    "sandro" wrote:

    > different file systems.
    >
    > win98/me is fat32. xp is ntfs.
    >
    > there may be software that allows win98 to read/write to ntfs, though.

    Platform doesn't matter: I finally could do the operation, the problem was
    the folder names: no blank spaces and up to 12 chars.... but win 98 does read
    NTFS through the net.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFudWVsIFMu?=, Apr 8, 2007