I can't install new software! (Windows XP)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by January8888, Oct 24, 2003.

  1. January8888

    January8888 Guest

    We're using Windows XP Home as our OS.

    As a parent, I had a commercial "spyware" program running on our
    computer - SpyPC 7.0 from Xelerate. One of the features of SpyPC 7.0
    is that you can click a button called "No new software" and another
    button "Disable Registry Editor." Both buttons were safety features
    to help prevent defeat of the spyware by my savvy teenagers.

    Because of some odd behavior by the computer, I wanted to do an
    un-install, and a clean re-install of SpyPC. Unfortunately, the
    un-install froze before completion, and I cancelled out as best I
    could. This apparently left behind some features of SpyPC - including
    the "No new software" effect!

    Now, I can't install any new software - including I can't re-install
    SpyPC to try to clean this up. A familiar dialogue box ("You do not
    have administrator rights ...") pops up - which is what popped up when
    SpyPC was fully operational and there was an unauthorized attempt to
    install new software.

    I'm prepared to go into Regedit or elsewhere to fix this!

    Is there some recognized place(s) that can be looked at to see where
    SpyPC left behind this restriction when it failed to fully uninstall?

    PS: I am attempting to do all of this as an Adminstrator user (not a
    "Limited" user). Oh, and SpyPC "tech support" is not responding to
    repeating emails describing the situation ...

    HELP!

    January8888, Oct 24, 2003

  2. January8888

    Harrison Guest

    I despise companies who refuse to post their contact information on
    their website!
    You bought and paid for the product, and yet they offer you no support
    when something goes wrong? Who do they think they are, Microsoft?!

    Hopefully, clicking here will be of some help to you ;-)
    http://tinyurl.com/s5h8

    You can also try shutting down and pressing Ctrl Alt Del twice at the
    logon screen. Then see if you can logon as the administrator.

    Harrison, Oct 24, 2003

  3. January8888

    Shep© Guest

    On 23 Oct 2003 20:46:00 -0700, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    invention that lemmings jump off cliffs
    (January8888) wrote :

    >We're using Windows XP Home as our OS.
    >
    >As a parent, I had a commercial "spyware" program running on our
    >computer - SpyPC 7.0 from Xelerate. One of the features of SpyPC 7.0
    >is that you can click a button called "No new software" and another
    >button "Disable Registry Editor." Both buttons were safety features
    >to help prevent defeat of the spyware by my savvy teenagers.
    >
    >Because of some odd behavior by the computer, I wanted to do an
    >un-install, and a clean re-install of SpyPC. Unfortunately, the
    >un-install froze before completion, and I cancelled out as best I
    >could. This apparently left behind some features of SpyPC - including
    >the "No new software" effect!
    >
    >Now, I can't install any new software - including I can't re-install
    >SpyPC to try to clean this up. A familiar dialogue box ("You do not
    >have administrator rights ...") pops up - which is what popped up when
    >SpyPC was fully operational and there was an unauthorized attempt to
    >install new software.
    >
    >I'm prepared to go into Regedit or elsewhere to fix this!
    >
    >Is there some recognized place(s) that can be looked at to see where
    >SpyPC left behind this restriction when it failed to fully uninstall?
    >
    >PS: I am attempting to do all of this as an Adminstrator user (not a
    >"Limited" user). Oh, and SpyPC "tech support" is not responding to
    >repeating emails describing the situation ...
    >
    >HELP!

    Can you use a,"Restore Point"(See windows help" to return the system
    to a usable state and disable the disabling function?
    Also,

    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,