    My question is very basic yet, it seems nobody covers it in a documentary
    fashion! I tried to do my homework:(

    Thank you in advance for those who will help me.

    Maxje, May 27, 2009

  2. Maxje

    PeeCee Guest

    "Maxje" <> wrote in message
    news:gvieqr$pii$-september.org...
    >I have a 500Gig Simpleteck external hard drive which makes automatic
    >back-ups every week. Naturally, they are piling up and I would like to
    >delete prior back-ups but lo and behold, there are no instructions in their
    >help files or google about deleting old back-ups.
    >
    > Can I just go window explorer/simpledrive''X'' erase? (I have Eraser)
    > whatever folder I see under simpledriveXX date? Also when I run system
    > defrag it indicates I should defrag that drive. Is that appropriate or
    > just BS?
    >
    > My question is very basic yet, it seems nobody covers it in a documentary
    > fashion! I tried to do my homework:(
    >
    > Thank you in advance for those who will help me.

    Maxje

    As your Simpletech appears to be nothing other than a normal USB external
    hard drive you can just delete old files using Windows Explorer.
    However it is up to you to work out which is old and which is not.

    However if I may make a suggestion that will make your life a lot easier in
    the long run, get rid of that crappy Arcsoft Total Media Backup software.
    A few of my clients are forced to use that program by their head office and
    both they and I find it very limiting and inflexible.

    Download and install the freeware 'Syncback' from here:
    http://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/freeware-hub.html
    Using Syncback to make your backups will keep the size within bounds and
    much faster after the initial backup.

    Note Syncback does not create historical backups.
    If you need something that does try Cobian Backup 9 from here:
    http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm
    A much better program than what came with your drive, including the ability
    to set the number of backup copies to keep.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, May 27, 2009

  3. Maxje

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-05-27, Maxje <> wrote:
    > I have a 500Gig Simpleteck external hard drive which makes automatic
    > back-ups every week. Naturally, they are piling up and I would like to
    > delete prior back-ups but lo and behold, there are no instructions in their
    > help files or google about deleting old back-ups.
    >
    > Can I just go window explorer/simpledrive''X'' erase? (I have Eraser)
    > whatever folder I see under simpledriveXX date? Also when I run system
    > defrag it indicates I should defrag that drive. Is that appropriate or just
    > BS?
    >
    > My question is very basic yet, it seems nobody covers it in a documentary
    > fashion! I tried to do my homework:(
    >
    > Thank you in advance for those who will help me.

    You haven't said anything about what your back-up system is, only that it
    uses an external hard drive. If you are making cumulative back-ups - ie
    each back-up session only records the changes since the last one - then do
    not delete anything, or you'll risk destroying the entire back-up.

    You should learn about the various ways there are of keeping back-ups, and
    decide which suit your needs best, and then get suitable software or
    manual routines in place and make sure you understand exactly what is
    happening. Don't just let 'something' do 'automatic back-ups' and hope
    that it will have been doing what you really need when you need to rely on
    it.

    --
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, May 27, 2009