  1. I need a driver so I can install a printer. Any help would be appreciated.
    --
    Beth

    =?Utf-8?B?QmV0aA==?=, Sep 1, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QmV0aA==?=

    Guest

    Beth wrote:
    > I need a driver so I can install a printer. Any help would be appreciated.

    There are quite a few x64 print drivers in Win
    x64 and some are available from vendors. What
    specific printer do you have? A make and model
    would go a long way in helping someone know what
    your requirements are. There is no such thing
    as a generic print driver for just any printer -
    you need to specifics!

    , Sep 1, 2006

  3. Any printer that supports PCL or Postscript, and that is network connected,
    will work, even if there isn't an exact driver match. What you do NOT want
    is a printer that uses "host based printing". This means that all the
    intelligence has been removed from the printer, and it will do absolutely
    nothing without the special application that runs on the print server. Yes,
    it's cheaper. But really, there are WAY better options both now and in the
    future that aren't all that much more expensive and that will work under
    virtually any conditions.

    I have an old HP 1200 series that I bought long before there was an x64
    Edition. It is connected to an inexpensive wireless print server, and
    supports both PCL5 and Postscript. I can print to it without issue from the
    7 different operating systems I'm running here this week. At least 3 of
    which are in beta AND are x64.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 1, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?QmV0aA==?=

    Graham Guest

    Beth wrote:
    > I need a driver so I can install a printer. Any help would be appreciated.

    Brother have been quite good with drivers for x64 (my MFC-420CN has been
    able to print and scan ever since I installed x64 a year ago) and
    Samsung have finally got drivers from my CLP-550, so there's two I know
    work.

    As Charlie mentioned, Postscript to a networked printer works too, I've
    been using that with the CLP-550 for a year.

    Graham.

    Graham, Sep 1, 2006
  5. Good Morning!

    Just thought I'd mention this within some context - I can't say if I believe
    you would need it at all, but Ghostscript is available in a 64bit Windows
    version! Might be usefull for someone in such a situation?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 1, 2006
  6. Epson seems to be very good at supplying 64-bit drivers for their printers -
    visit the Epson site, select 'Downloads' and then choose the printer which
    interests you. You can then choose the OS you need drivers for and see if
    they are available. My Acculaser 1200 is supported

    Here is a Epson list of supported printers:- http://tinyurl.com/fmguo

    Canon isn't quite as forthcoming - although they did have a 64-bit driver
    for my Pixma IP4200 printer

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=, Sep 1, 2006
  7. Not really going to solve it, I don't think. But I'd be curious to hear how
    you think it would workaround those awful host based printers...

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 1, 2006
  8. I see, I wasn't being clear - no I was thinking that since Gostscript have
    built-in capabillity (as I understand it) to print Postscript on
    non-postscript printers, that it might open up an avenue towards blowing
    life into those printers left to die wiith no drivers. Being 64bit on it's
    own, and realizing that it probably wouldn't be able to perform it's bag of
    tricks if it wasn't hard-coded to circumvent the driver paradigm altogether?
    Or, rather perhaps - the Windows Device Independent Driver Subsystem?

    But the host based miscreants, will be beyond any efforts of help, I take
    it - unless GS actually happens to behave as the Host in this case.

    I've seen it print to a standard Deskjet. Certainly wasn't Postscript
    quality, but also no worse than the standard quality of the printer - the
    important point was that it was printing!

    Tony. . .

    > Not really going to solve it, I don't think. But I'd be curious to hear

    how
    > you think it would workaround those awful host based printers...
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.
    > http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    >
    > "Tony Sperling" <> wrote in message
    > > Good Morning!
    > >

    > > Just thought I'd mention this within some context - I can't say if I
    > > believe
    > > you would need it at all, but Ghostscript is available in a 64bit

    Windows
    > > version! Might be usefull for someone in such a situation?
    > >

    > > Tony. . .
    > >

    > > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in

    message

    Tony Sperling, Sep 1, 2006
  9. The problem with the host based printers is that there's nothing in there
    but a proprietary bit map engine that requires proprietary software to
    manage. IOW - don't go there. I don't think even ghostscript can do much
    with it, sadly.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64