    when I try to delete the folder, it doesn't let me. I've tried deleting it as
    an Administrator, and still have had no luck. I am running Windows 64bit Home
    Premium. I would appreciate any help. Thanks, Brian

    =?Utf-8?B?MTgwMHlvbGs=?=, Oct 9, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?MTgwMHlvbGs=?=

    Clayton Guest

    After a system restart, will it delete?

    Clayton, Oct 9, 2007

  3. I don't really understand how the system could allow you to rename it like
    this, I don't have an ASCII chart in front of me at the moment and cannot
    remember what character this is, it's not a whitespace, probably just one of
    the non-printing - an illegal filename is not recognized, I guess that's why
    you can't delete it.

    A good old DOS trick that might still work, is to use the command-line, copy
    everything you want to keep to a safe location, somewhere else than the
    Desktop - navigate to the Desktop Directory and type:

    delete *.*

    and see what happens.

    If it don't work, you will need to write a utility for this one task.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Oct 9, 2007
  4. Tony:
    You always have an ASCII chart at hand if you are in front of a PC.
    Just run "charmap.exe" and choose the "Terminal" font.
    Scroll down and you will find the 0xFF character, which always baffled me in
    the sense that it was not a space but it was also "not nothing".
    I didn't try the OP's situation in my Vista x64. I'm afraid of having his
    same problem but I did try it at work on XP x86 and I could rename the folder
    on the desktop to Alt-255 and afterwards delete it effortlessly.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Oct 10, 2007
  5. How utterly em-bare-assing! I know of the charmap, of course, but it never
    occurred to me that it listed the ascii code by way of the terminal font!

    There you go. . .proof positive of the potential of this amazing society.

    I do think this is mighty strange, though. MS has always been extremely
    carefull about the legal filename characters. At some point they allowed for
    the space in a filename but ENTER is 0xD and I don't remember if SPACE is
    0xB, or what? Anyway 0x255 should not be allowed at all, as far as I can
    make out.

    Great many thanks, though, Carlos!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Oct 10, 2007
  6. Tony:
    The Alt-255 thing as part of a filename is allowed as far back as DOS.
    I can recall an IT tech guy (they were not called that way back in 1988)
    placing an Alt-255 character after a directory name in order to nobody being
    able to access that dir.
    Let's say you "see" a "Tony" dir using the old DOS dir command.
    Typing CD\Tony would lead you nowhere because you would be missing the
    trailing Alt-255 character.
    You would have to type CD\Tony, then Alt-255, then press <ENTER>
    Get the idea?
    (This Malbec red wine I had for dinner is really taking a toll on my
    available braincells)
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Oct 10, 2007
  7. Tony:
    Here are as couple of those known as "control" or "non-printable" characters
    that I can remember off the top of my head:
    0xD (decimal 13) = carriage return
    0xA (decimal 10) = line feed
    0x1B (decimal 27) = escape
    01x1A (decimal 26) = end of file (EOF)

    And in the "printable" section, the space or 0x20 (decimal 32)
    One of my favourites is Alt-064, that happens to be "@", that I use in those
    badly configured keyboard+input language combinations.
    It is a pity that so many people (outside USA) don't know the proper use of
    those two variables: keyboard layout and input language.

    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Oct 10, 2007
  8. =?Utf-8?B?MTgwMHlvbGs=?=

    jorgen Guest

    Carlos wrote:

    > One of my favourites is Alt-064, that happens to be "@", that I use in those
    > badly configured keyboard+input language combinations.

    An even better way, is to construct files that cannot be read by using
    normal syntax, like putting a trailing space or dot in a filename

    jorgen, Oct 10, 2007
  9. Yes, I am aware of the potential convenience of willfully abusing the
    filesystem under DOS, but the point - AFAIR - is that in DOS you couldn't
    use system utilities (such as COPY, RENAME, DELETE ) they wouldn't do
    anything with an illegal filename. You could, however, programmatically
    create your own utilities that were designed to handle a NULL character in a
    filename - if the first character was a NULL, the file wouldn't even list in
    DIR and it wouldn't appear in the count of files from any of the DOS
    utilities ( Except for the undocumented wildcard trick, that would at least
    let you get away with any that you didn't create yourself, including
    rudiments of files misnamed by system error incidents or hardware failure.
    If my memory serves me, you couldn't even do:

    ECHO This is willfully abusive! > "@ILLEGAL.TXT"

    in a BAT file.
    (where the '@' is a replacement for any non-printing, whitespace or NULL
    char.)

    Otherwise, for me - the wine I can usually handle, the dinner may worry me
    at times. 'Canciller' is the only wine from Argentina I have ever had the
    pleasure of aquainting, and a pleasure it was! If your Malbec is of local
    origin, I will have to keep my eyes open.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Oct 10, 2007
  10. Tony:
    Only argentinean wines in my "diet".
    And for just $10 (that would be 2.3 euros) you can enjoy a very good wine.
    :)
    Getting back to DOS you can add the trailing Alt-255 to any dir name with
    the MKDIR command and you can change to that dir with the CD command also.
    No need for funny trics.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Oct 10, 2007
  11. I still can't delete the file!! I've tried dos, but I'm not using the right
    command or something. Thanks, Brian

    =?Utf-8?B?MTgwMHlvbGs=?=, Oct 10, 2007
  12. =?Utf-8?B?MTgwMHlvbGs=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    When viewing in dos does the file have any special characters in the name.
    What are the attributes.

    John Barnes, Oct 10, 2007
  13. =?Utf-8?B?MTgwMHlvbGs=?=

    jorgen Guest

    1800yolk wrote:
    > I still can't delete the file!! I've tried dos, but I'm not using the right
    > command or something. Thanks, Brian

    type listing the short filenames with "dir /x". A troublesome filename
    can often be dealt with by using the short form.

    anyways, what type of error do you get?

    jorgen, Oct 10, 2007
  14. =?Utf-8?B?MTgwMHlvbGs=?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 20:36:00 -0700, 1800yolk
    <> wrote:

    >I created a folder on my desktop, and when I went to rename it, I pressed
    >"255" while holding the ALT key. Doing this makes the name blank. However,
    >when I try to delete the folder, it doesn't let me. I've tried deleting it as
    >an Administrator, and still have had no luck. I am running Windows 64bit Home
    >Premium. I would appreciate any help. Thanks, Brian

    Did you try renaming it back to something legal?

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Oct 11, 2007
  15. I've gotten somewhere, but still haven't deleted it. In command prompt, I try
    to delete it, and I get an error saying "the syntax of the error is
    incorrect". I tried with and without quotes, and no luck. Thanks, Brian

    =?Utf-8?B?MTgwMHlvbGs=?=, Oct 18, 2007
  16. Also, I tried del *.* and it didn't work (only worked for everything else
    there). Thanks, Brian

    =?Utf-8?B?MTgwMHlvbGs=?=, Oct 18, 2007
  17. "1800yolk" wrote:

    > I created a folder on my desktop, and when I went to rename it, I pressed
    > "255" while holding the ALT key. Doing this makes the name blank. However,
    > when I try to delete the folder, it doesn't let me. I've tried deleting it as
    > an Administrator, and still have had no luck. I am running Windows 64bit Home
    > Premium. I would appreciate any help. Thanks, Brian

    Heres what to do
    OK heres How To delete the thing
    First back up all files on your desktop to a new folder.
    move that folder any where but the desktop
    it will say you cant move the recycle bin *Its OK* you dont need to
    after you move the file
    HOLD SHIFT click on the desktop
    hit open command center
    Type "rd /s desktop
    it will delete the folder
    hit "y" to delete
    then hit enter
    FINALLY restore Your desktop stuff from the folder
    Congrats- You Now Know How To
    *Delete A hidden folder!!
    If you need any more help please message me

    mikey13yearoldHelper, Dec 26, 2007
  19. Why do you want to delete a hidden folder? They are hidden for a reason and
    that reason is so that you will NOT delete them. How you decide whether or
    not you should delete a hidden folder?

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 26, 2007