I can't believe the images that wins some photo contests

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Oct 31, 2010.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Oct 31, 2010

  2. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:

    >30 Oct issue of Amateur Photographer has a shot of tulips in the
    >rain. A amateur beat out pros with it in a photo contest. Honestly,
    >the image is nothing to write home about. According to the story, it
    >beat out thousands of other shots. Unbelievable. Below is a link to
    >the shot.
    >
    >http://www.rhs.org.uk/Competitions/Photo-competition/2010-photo-competition-results

    If you look at the winning image and the four runners-up in the same
    category, it is easy to see why Vickie Howard's image won in that
    category. If you look at the winners of the other categories, I
    think Vickie Howard's image is a pretty clear overall winner.

    Just scroll down the page you linked to, and click on the eight links
    under "Category winners".

    You should also judge the winning image on the complete version here
    (rather than the cropped version on the page you linked to):

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/38su54n
    or:
    http://www.rhs.org.uk/Competitions/...photo-competition-results/Garden-plants-study

    Bruce, Oct 31, 2010

  3. RichA

    Irwell Guest

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 02:19:29 -0700 (PDT), RichA wrote:

    > 30 Oct issue of Amateur Photographer has a shot of tulips in the
    > rain. A amateur beat out pros with it in a photo contest. Honestly,
    > the image is nothing to write home about. According to the story, it
    > beat out thousands of other shots. Unbelievable. Below is a link to
    > the shot.
    >
    > http://www.rhs.org.uk/Competitions/Photo-competition/2010-photo-competition-results

    The link is to the Royal Horticultural Society's page.
    Hardly an enthusiastic photographer's venue, even though a
    lot of keen gardenrs like to take pictures.

    Irwell, Oct 31, 2010
  4. RichA

    Me Guest

    On 31/10/2010 10:19 p.m., RichA wrote:
    > 30 Oct issue of Amateur Photographer has a shot of tulips in the
    > rain. A amateur beat out pros with it in a photo contest. Honestly,
    > the image is nothing to write home about. According to the story, it
    > beat out thousands of other shots. Unbelievable. Below is a link to
    > the shot.
    >
    > http://www.rhs.org.uk/Competitions/Photo-competition/2010-photo-competition-results

    If you really don't think that the winning photo "Sun and Rain on
    Tulips" is an excellent photo, and one that stands out as a clear winner
    amongst the other shots, then you should probably give up photography as
    an art.
    The photographer claims to have just happened across the rain/light on
    the subject, and also happened to have her daughter ready to hold an
    umbrella while she took the shot. That would have been very fortuitous
    - my skeptical side suspects it might not be 100% true - but anyway
    it's the result that matters.

    Me, Oct 31, 2010
  5. RichA

    Me Guest

    On 1/11/2010 9:32 a.m., George Kerby wrote:

    > On 10/31/10 3:19 PM, in article iakj05$d0a$, "Me"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 31/10/2010 10:19 p.m., RichA wrote:
    >>> 30 Oct issue of Amateur Photographer has a shot of tulips in the
    >>> rain. A amateur beat out pros with it in a photo contest. Honestly,
    >>> the image is nothing to write home about. According to the story, it
    >>> beat out thousands of other shots. Unbelievable. Below is a link to
    >>> the shot.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.rhs.org.uk/Competitions/Photo-competition/2010-photo-competition-r
    >>> esults
    >>>

    >> If you really don't think that the winning photo "Sun and Rain on
    >> Tulips" is an excellent photo, and one that stands out as a clear winner
    >> amongst the other shots, then you should probably give up photography as
    >> an art.

    > It's time RichA gave up.

    I suspect that there are a lot of photographers who should probably give
    up. IMO equipment fascination / technology attracts many compromised
    types - with mild autism spectrum conditions. If your ability for
    social communication and interaction is impaired, then communicating
    human emotion through art isn't going to be easy. Perhaps some are
    savants. I don't believe RichA makes the cut there, unless he's got some
    special ability that he's managed to keep secret from the group.

    Me, Oct 31, 2010
  6. RichA

    me Guest

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 15:32:27 -0500, George Kerby
    <> wrote:

    >It's time RichA gave up.

    Or everyone just killfiled and stopped replying to his drivel.

    me, Oct 31, 2010
  7. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
    : <> wrote:
    :
    : > On 31/10/2010 10:19 p.m., RichA wrote:
    : >> 30 Oct issue of Amateur Photographer has a shot of tulips in the
    : >> rain. A amateur beat out pros with it in a photo contest. Honestly,
    : >> the image is nothing to write home about. According to the story, it
    : >> beat out thousands of other shots. Unbelievable. Below is a link to
    : >> the shot.
    : >>
    : >> http://www.rhs.org.uk/Competitions/Photo-competition/2010-photo-competition-r
    : >> esults
    : >>
    : > If you really don't think that the winning photo "Sun and Rain on
    : > Tulips" is an excellent photo, and one that stands out as a clear winner
    : > amongst the other shots, then you should probably give up photography as
    : > an art.
    :
    : It's time RichA gave up.

    On the contrary, if Rich thinks he can do better, his obvious move is to enter
    next year's contest. But to expect that of someone who seldom, if ever, even
    sends anything to the Shoot-In is, I suppose, a pipe dream.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Nov 1, 2010
  8. RichA

    Rich Guest

    On Oct 31, 6:25 pm, Alan Browne <>
    wrote:
    > On 10-10-31 17:44 , me wrote:
    >

    > > Or everyone just killfiled and stopped replying to his drivel.

    > I've suggested this in the past and get replies along the line of: "Yes,
    > but, it sets off useful discussions."
    >
    > I've yet to see the useful discussion.  They're mostly stale re-hashes
    > with a bottle of stale flat beer.  Not even that good actually.
    >
    > --
    > gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.

    Awwww, is the poor, widdle Sony fan upthet?

    Rich, Nov 2, 2010
  9. RichA

    Rich Guest

    On Oct 31, 8:54 pm, Robert Coe <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 15:32:27 -0500, George Kerby <>
    > wrote:
    > :
    > : On 10/31/10 3:19 PM, in article iakj05$, "Me": <> wrote:
    >
    > :
    > : > On 31/10/2010 10:19 p.m., RichA wrote:
    > : >> 30 Oct issue of Amateur Photographer has a shot of tulips in the
    > : >> rain.  A amateur beat out pros with it in a photo contest.  Honestly,
    > : >> the image is nothing to write home about.  According to the story, it
    > : >> beat out thousands of other shots.  Unbelievable.  Below is a link to
    > : >> the shot.
    > : >>
    > : >>http://www.rhs.org.uk/Competitions/Photo-competition/2010-photo-compe....
    > : >> esults
    > : >>
    > : > If you really don't think that the winning photo "Sun and Rain on
    > : > Tulips" is an excellent photo, and one that stands out as a clear winner
    > : > amongst the other shots, then you should probably give up photography as
    > : > an art.
    > :
    > : It's time RichA gave up.
    >
    > On the contrary, if Rich thinks he can do better, his obvious move is to enter
    > next year's contest. But to expect that of someone who seldom, if ever, even
    > sends anything to the Shoot-In is, I suppose, a pipe dream.
    >
    > Bob

    The only contest I entered was one of the Nikon contests on Dpreview.
    I won it, and I did it with an Olympus.

    Rich, Nov 2, 2010
  10. RichA

    peter Guest

    On 11/2/2010 1:05 PM, Rich wrote:
    > On Oct 31, 8:54 pm, Robert Coe<> wrote:
    >> On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 15:32:27 -0500, George Kerby<>
    >> wrote:
    >> :
    >> : On 10/31/10 3:19 PM, in article iakj05$, "Me":<> wrote:
    >>
    >> :
    >> :> On 31/10/2010 10:19 p.m., RichA wrote:
    >> :>> 30 Oct issue of Amateur Photographer has a shot of tulips in the
    >> :>> rain. A amateur beat out pros with it in a photo contest. Honestly,
    >> :>> the image is nothing to write home about. According to the story, it
    >> :>> beat out thousands of other shots. Unbelievable. Below is a link to
    >> :>> the shot.
    >> :>>
    >> :>>http://www.rhs.org.uk/Competitions/Photo-competition/2010-photo-compe...
    >> :>> esults
    >> :>>
    >> :> If you really don't think that the winning photo "Sun and Rain on
    >> :> Tulips" is an excellent photo, and one that stands out as a clear winner
    >> :> amongst the other shots, then you should probably give up photography as
    >> :> an art.
    >> :
    >> : It's time RichA gave up.
    >>
    >> On the contrary, if Rich thinks he can do better, his obvious move is to enter
    >> next year's contest. But to expect that of someone who seldom, if ever, even
    >> sends anything to the Shoot-In is, I suppose, a pipe dream.
    >>
    >> Bob

    > The only contest I entered was one of the Nikon contests on Dpreview.
    > I won it, and I did it with an Olympus.

    You didn't win the prevarication competition?

    --
    Peter

    peter, Nov 2, 2010
  11. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 10:04:28 -0700 (PDT), Rich <> wrote:
    : On Oct 31, 6:25 pm, Alan Browne <>
    : wrote:
    : > On 10-10-31 17:44 , me wrote:
    : >
    : >
    : >
    : > > Or everyone just killfiled and stopped replying to his drivel.
    : >
    : > I've suggested this in the past and get replies along the line of: "Yes,
    : > but, it sets off useful discussions."
    : >
    : > I've yet to see the useful discussion.  They're mostly stale re-hashes
    : > with a bottle of stale flat beer.  Not even that good actually.
    : >
    : > --
    : > gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.
    :
    : Awwww, is the poor, widdle Sony fan upthet?

    One might think you'd be feeling some kinship with Alan just now. To an
    outsider the two of you seem to be in the same boat. Both of your companies
    appear to be walking away from the products you bought.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Nov 3, 2010
  12. RichA

    ScotchBright Guest

    wrote:

    >30 Oct issue of Amateur Photographer has a shot of tulips in the
    >rain. A amateur beat out pros with it in a photo contest. Honestly,
    >the image is nothing to write home about. According to the story, it
    >beat out thousands of other shots. Unbelievable. Below is a link to
    >the shot.
    >
    >http://www.rhs.org.uk/Competitions/Photo-competition/2010-photo-competition-results

    If there's nothing askew with the judging process, then ALL
    the photos submitted should be online to see how most people would
    vote, no?

    ScotchBright, Nov 6, 2010
  13. ScotchBright <> wrote:

    > If there's nothing askew with the judging process, then ALL
    > the photos submitted should be online to see how most people would
    > vote, no?

    Do they want a popular vote? Then yes. Otherwise no.

    Anyway, do you really want to bother with lots of much worse shots?

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Nov 8, 2010
  14. RichA

    Twibil Guest

    On Nov 6, 2:20 pm, ScotchBright <>
    wrote:

    >         If there's nothing askew with the judging process, then ALL
    > the photos submitted should be online to see how most people would
    > vote, no?

    ? Why would you think that?

    If *you* were judging a contest would you welcome the input of every
    fruitcake out there in online land?

    Twibil, Nov 9, 2010
  15. RichA

    ScotchBright Guest

    On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 19:00:44 -0800 (PST), Twibil <>
    wrote:

    >On Nov 6, 2:20 pm, ScotchBright <>
    >wrote:
    >>

    >>         If there's nothing askew with the judging process, then ALL
    >> the photos submitted should be online to see how most people would
    >> vote, no?

    >? Why would you think that?
    >
    >If *you* were judging a contest would you welcome the input of every
    >fruitcake out there in online land?

    No, and that's a good point.

    ScotchBright, Nov 9, 2010
  16. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    George Kerby wrote:

    > On 10/31/10 3:19 PM, in article iakj05$d0a$, "Me"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > On 31/10/2010 10:19 p.m., RichA wrote:
    > >> 30 Oct issue of Amateur Photographer has a shot of tulips in the
    > >> rain. A amateur beat out pros with it in a photo contest. Honestly,
    > >> the image is nothing to write home about. According to the story, it
    > >> beat out thousands of other shots. Unbelievable. Below is a link to
    > >> the shot.
    > >>
    > >> http://www.rhs.org.uk/Competitions/Photo-competition/2010-photo-competition-r
    > >> esults
    > >>

    > > If you really don't think that the winning photo "Sun and Rain on
    > > Tulips" is an excellent photo, and one that stands out as a clear winner
    > > amongst the other shots, then you should probably give up photography as
    > > an art.

    > It's time RichA gave up.

    Yes, I readily agree...he should "give up" those various hallucinatory
    drugs that he's been taking, all these years.

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Nov 28, 2010
  17. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    Me wrote:

    <edited for brevity>

    > If your ability for social communication and interaction is impaired,
    > then communicating human emotion through art isn't going to be easy.
    > Perhaps some are savants. I don't believe RichA makes the cut there,
    > unless he's got some special ability that he's managed to keep secret
    > from the group.

    His "special ability" is the reason he's institutionalized, at the
    moment.

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>