    Cheers

    --

    ¦zulu¦ VIP

    zulu, Jun 26, 2009

  2. zulu

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 10:14:45 +0100, zulu wrote:

    >It it insists on trying to *Print to file* when I try to print a pdf file.

    Rhetorical questions.

    Most likely duplicates as, "despite hours of trying", covers a lot of
    things you already tried.

    Which it?
    From what application?
    What PDF printer driver?

    It's a saved file on disk, not a PDF in a browser window, you are using
    / have installed some version of Acrobat Reader, Foxit PFD, pdf995, some
    other unnamed PDF utility / driver?

    Uninstall the PDF utility/printer driver?

    >I am using XP Pro
    >The printer is a Deskjet 720c (Hewlett Packard)
    >There are no driver updates available as they already exist in XP pro.
    >The printer is set as the default printer
    >Port is *Virtual printer port Deskjet 720C

    Delete the virtual port, dongle drivers, reboot and see what happens.
    ether it's redetected or you have to reinstall the dongle driver again.

    >(I use an adaptor to USB2 as I have no old fashioned printer port)

    That's because it's a parallel port only?

    The adapter is and the driver software for the adapter is?

    >There is no sign of the printer in Device manager !

    DM can't see past the dongle? Replace / try another dongle.

    >This problem has recently happened, it was OK.
    >I cannot see how to fix this despite hours of trying....

    Rollback MS updates. Look for updates installed after it stopped working
    and www.google.com for the usb adapter / ms kb number.

    Get a parallel port card / cable and fix the problem.

    >Cheers

    Me

    why?, Jun 26, 2009

  3. zulu

    zulu Guest

    > On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 10:14:45 +0100, zulu wrote:
    >
    >>It it insists on trying to *Print to file* when I try to print a pdf file.

    > Rhetorical questions.
    >
    > Most likely duplicates as, "despite hours of trying", covers a lot of
    > things you already tried.

    I didn't mention <idiot> that this is tha second time this has occured.,
    Last time, I _eventually_ found something I could tick (or untick) which
    instantly fixed things.
    This is what I spent hgours looking for.
    (Not easy as I am almost blind...)

    I am trying to print a saved pdf manual.

    You have given me a lot of things to check, for which many thanks!

    --

    ¦zulu¦ VIP

    zulu, Jun 26, 2009
  4. zulu

    chuckcar Guest

    "zulu" <> wrote in

    > It it insists on trying to *Print to file* when I try to print a pdf
    > file.
    >
    > I am using XP Pro
    > The printer is a Deskjet 720c (Hewlett Packard)
    > There are no driver updates available as they already exist in XP pro.
    > The printer is set as the default printer
    > Port is *Virtual printer port Deskjet 720C

    Virtual is *not* a real printer. You need to remove unplug your printer
    from the USB, *remove* that printer from printers and then plug your
    printer back in again (subject to what I say below about the "ding").

    > (I use an adaptor to USB2 as I have no old fashioned printer port)
    > There is no sign of the printer in Device manager !
    >
    > This problem has recently happened, it was OK.
    > I cannot see how to fix this despite hours of trying....

    Open up printers and drop the file onto the icon for the deskjet.

    However if the printer is not found it can't really print to it. Try
    unplugging it and plugging it in again and if you don't hear the detection
    "ding" try a different usb plug or if still, another set of plugs (i.e.
    try the back if the front ports don't work).

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jun 27, 2009