    This is driving me nuts.
    ______
    joliett

    Earthlink East, Dec 20, 2005

  2. Earthlink East

    Malke Guest

    Earthlink East wrote:

    > I set up my wireless network, but I just can't network properly MY
    > PICTURES and MY MUSIC.
    > I can network the drives and directories off the host computer but not
    > those two MY directories.
    >
    > All permissions are set properly - I have set the entire drive
    > containing the MY PICTURES and MY MUSIC folders set to allow sharing.
    >
    > Any help here.
    > This is driving me nuts.
    > ______
    > joliett

    Windows XP Home does not permit you to share users' home directories (My
    Documents) although you can share folders within that directory.
    Perhaps because My Pictures and My Music are special system folders,
    you can't share them either. Either put the files you want to share in
    the Shared Files folder or make a new folder for "Music/Pictures For
    All" and share it.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Dec 20, 2005

  3. Earthlink East

    joliett Guest

    Anyone know where this is documented that you can't share the My Documents
    folders or My Pictures and My Music?
    --
    ______
    joliett

    joliett, Dec 20, 2005
  4. Earthlink East

    Malke Guest

    joliett wrote:

    > Anyone know where this is documented that you can't share the My
    > Documents folders or My Pictures and My Music?

    Here's an MS TechNet article (TinyURL'd)
    http://tinyurl.com/yupmp

    As I said in my answer to the OP, I'm not sure about My Pictures/My
    Music but was extrapolating from the inability of Home to share My
    Documents. If you have a Home Edition computer and feel like
    experimenting with sharing the system folders within My Documents, do
    post the results.

    Malke

    Malke, Dec 20, 2005
  5. Earthlink East

    joliett Guest

    When I use Windows Explorer to view sharing options for the MY DOCUMENTS
    folder, the option to share is clearly there.
    Why does the option for sharing appear at all if it is not allowed?
    --
    ______
    joliett

    joliett, Dec 20, 2005
  6. Earthlink East

    Malke Guest

    joliett wrote:

    > When I use Windows Explorer to view sharing options for the MY
    > DOCUMENTS folder, the option to share is clearly there.
    > Why does the option for sharing appear at all if it is not allowed?

    Don't know. I guess you'd have to ask Microsoft why they wrote their
    operating system that way. I only have one XP Home machine and anything
    we want to share with any of the other XP Pro and Linux boxen we just
    put in a folder we *can* share. No big.

    Malke

    Malke, Dec 20, 2005
  7. Earthlink East

    joliett Guest

    Well - THANKS so much because your suggestions work just fine.
    My XP PRO machine allows sharing in My Pics and My Music folders, but XP
    HOME does not.

    No big deal - as you say, the folders that DO allow sharing DO work fine.
    --
    ______
    joliett

    joliett, Dec 21, 2005
  8. Earthlink East

    Malke Guest

    joliett wrote:

    > Well - THANKS so much because your suggestions work just fine.
    > My XP PRO machine allows sharing in My Pics and My Music folders, but
    > XP HOME does not.
    >
    > No big deal - as you say, the folders that DO allow sharing DO work
    > fine.

    No, thank *you*. I appreciate that you took the time to test my theory
    in your XP Home box and post the results.

    Have a lovely holiday season,

    Malke

    Malke, Dec 21, 2005