  1. cowboyzlinux

    cowboyzlinux Guest

    I would like to write to it. How do I do that? What is needed?

    cowboyzlinux, Jul 19, 2003

  2. On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 13:11:07 +1200, cowboyzlinux wrote:

    > I would like to write to it. How do I do that? What is needed?

    It sounds like your partition is mounted read-only. This is the default
    setting for NTFS partitions on most distributions. As far as changing
    the settings, take a look at your /etc/fstab file. Look at the line that
    is configuring you windows partition and replace the letters "RO" with
    "RW".

    Steve

    Steven Potter, Jul 19, 2003

  3. cowboyzlinux

    Billy Watt Guest

    In news:p,
    Steven Potter <> rambled:
    > On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 13:11:07 +1200, cowboyzlinux wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to write to it. How do I do that? What is needed?

    > It sounds like your partition is mounted read-only. This is the
    > default setting for NTFS partitions on most distributions. As far as
    > changing the settings, take a look at your /etc/fstab file. Look at
    > the line that is configuring you windows partition and replace the
    > letters "RO" with "RW".

    DO NOT under any circumstances enable writing to an NTFS partition. It
    doesn't work and WILL trash your NTFS drive.

    Besides, you'd have to check the kernel had write support for NTFS selected,
    most don't and it has warnings all over the help section for it.

    Billy

    Billy Watt, Jul 19, 2003
  4. cowboyzlinux

    Dave Uhring Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 03:03:34 +0000, Billy Watt wrote:

    > In news:p,
    > Steven Potter <> rambled:
    >> On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 13:11:07 +1200, cowboyzlinux wrote:
    >>
    >>> I would like to write to it. How do I do that? What is needed?

    >> It sounds like your partition is mounted read-only. This is the
    >> default setting for NTFS partitions on most distributions. As far as
    >> changing the settings, take a look at your /etc/fstab file. Look at
    >> the line that is configuring you windows partition and replace the
    >> letters "RO" with "RW".
    >>

    > DO NOT under any circumstances enable writing to an NTFS partition. It
    > doesn't work and WILL trash your NTFS drive.
    >
    > Besides, you'd have to check the kernel had write support for NTFS selected,
    > most don't and it has warnings all over the help section for it.

    Does the OP have a VFAT or NTFS Windoze partition? The moron failed to
    mention that.

    Dave Uhring, Jul 19, 2003
  5. cowboyzlinux

    Billy Watt Guest

    In news:p,
    Dave Uhring <> rambled:

    > Does the OP have a VFAT or NTFS Windoze partition? The moron failed
    > to mention that.

    No idea, I was just replying to the cretin who suggested writing to NTFS was
    as easy as changing a letter in /etc/fstab.

    Billy

    Billy Watt, Jul 19, 2003
  6. cowboyzlinux

    Dave Uhring Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 03:13:03 +0000, Billy Watt wrote:

    > In news:p,
    > Dave Uhring <> rambled:
    >

    >> Does the OP have a VFAT or NTFS Windoze partition? The moron failed
    >> to mention that.

    > No idea, I was just replying to the cretin who suggested writing to NTFS was
    > as easy as changing a letter in /etc/fstab.

    I should have acknowledged that. Chances are that the kernel's NTFS write
    capability is not enabled anyway, though.

    Dave Uhring, Jul 19, 2003
  7. cowboyzlinux

    Enkidu Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I would like to write to it. How do I do that? What is needed?

    Don't try and write to an NTFS partition from Linux. You will more
    than likely trash the partition, If you feel suicidal, there is an
    NTFS module that will let you write to an NTFS partition.

    If it's FAT, just mount it as usual, assuming you have the FAT/VFAT
    modules.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jul 19, 2003
  8. cowboyzlinux

    cowboyzlinux Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 22:07:01 -0500, Dave Uhring wrote:

    > On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 03:03:34 +0000, Billy Watt wrote:
    >
    >> In news:p,
    >> Steven Potter <> rambled:

    >>> It sounds like your partition is mounted read-only. This is the
    >>> default setting for NTFS partitions on most distributions. As far as
    >>> changing the settings, take a look at your /etc/fstab file. Look at
    >>> the line that is configuring you windows partition and replace the
    >>> letters "RO" with "RW".
    >>>

    >> DO NOT under any circumstances enable writing to an NTFS partition. It
    >> doesn't work and WILL trash your NTFS drive.
    >>
    >> Besides, you'd have to check the kernel had write support for NTFS selected,
    >> most don't and it has warnings all over the help section for it.

    > Does the OP have a VFAT or NTFS Windoze partition? The moron failed to
    > mention that.

    moron? Another example of why Linux is having a hard time making
    mainstream. I have been using it for about a week and really like it but
    with help and support like this? Never seen anyone helping out with
    windows respond so negatively to a simple question.

    Look at all the other posts in this thread to learn how to post without
    making yourself look like a jackass.

    cowboyzlinux, Jul 19, 2003
  9. cowboyzlinux

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Billy Watt" <> wrote in message
    > In news:p,
    > Dave Uhring <> rambled:
    >

    > > Does the OP have a VFAT or NTFS Windoze partition? The moron failed
    > > to mention that.

    > No idea, I was just replying to the cretin who suggested writing to NTFS

    was
    > as easy as changing a letter in /etc/fstab.

    "Moron"? "Cretin"? My my, how friendly this group is these days.

    Ok, just noticed the Xposting, it must be people from outside of nz.comp.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Jul 19, 2003
  10. cowboyzlinux

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "cowboyzlinux" <> wrote in message
    > I would like to write to it. How do I do that? What is needed?

    Please don't xpost to linux groups *and* a general comp group.

    If I want to read anymore than the already considerable amount of linux
    posts we get in nz.comp I'll go to linux groups.

    Thank you.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Jul 19, 2003
  11. cowboyzlinux

    MM Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    >"Billy Watt" <> wrote
    >> Dave Uhring <> rambled:
    >> >
    >> > Does the OP have a VFAT or NTFS Windoze partition? The moron failed
    >> > to mention that.

    >> No idea, I was just replying to the cretin who suggested writing to NTFS
    >> was as easy as changing a letter in /etc/fstab.

    >"Moron"? "Cretin"? My my, how friendly this group is these days.
    >
    >Ok, just noticed the Xposting, it must be people from outside of nz.comp.

    You mean they're not terms of endearment in Aotearoa? ;-)

    MM

    MM, Jul 19, 2003
  12. cowboyzlinux

    Dave Uhring Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 16:44:34 +1200, cowboyzlinux wrote:

    > moron? Another example of why Linux is having a hard time making
    > mainstream. I have been using it for about a week and really like it but
    > with help and support like this? Never seen anyone helping out with
    > windows respond so negatively to a simple question.
    >
    > Look at all the other posts in this thread to learn how to post without
    > making yourself look like a jackass.

    Even Windows NT-whatever asks you on install what type of filesystem you
    wish to use when you install it. Of course you may not even know enough
    about Windows to even have that knowledge since you probably did not have
    the experience of installing Windows. You might have uncovered that
    ignorance by executing 'fdisk -l /dev/hda'.

    If you are so stupid as to not even know what filesystem your Windows uses
    then you are indeed a moron and no apologies are in order.

    The jackass here is the one which has no knowledge of anything. Ask a
    smart question and get an honest answer. I could not care less whether
    you use Windows or Linux. If you cannot ask an intelligent question I
    would just as soon you quit Linux and stay with Windows.

    Dave Uhring, Jul 19, 2003
  13. cowboyzlinux wrote:

    > moron? Another example of why Linux is having a hard time making
    > mainstream. I have been using it for about a week and really like it but
    > with help and support like this? Never seen anyone helping out with
    > windows respond so negatively to a simple question.

    You've apparently not spent much time in Windows groups, or haven't paid
    much attention while you're there. I'm not judging the appropriateness
    of unappropriateness of the language -- but it's certainly not A Linux
    Thing, as you seem to feel (after admitting you have little experience
    with Linux, and therefore probably with Linux groups, eh?). Nor is it
    a geographic issue, as another misguided poster claims. All kinds of
    posters live everywhere, and all kinds of posters use any particular
    operating system.

    (I'm having some connection failures, tonight -- if this does end up
    being duplicated, against my software telling me it didn't get out a
    couple of other times, my apologies for the extra posts.)

    --
    Blinky Linux RU 297263
    Spam: The Boulder Pledge http://snurl.com/boulder

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 19, 2003
  14. cowboyzlinux

    nobody Guest

    cowboyzlinux wrote:
    > On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 22:07:01 -0500, Dave Uhring wrote:
    >
    > moron? Another example of why Linux is having a hard time making
    > mainstream. I have been using it for about a week and really like it but
    > with help and support like this? Never seen anyone helping out with
    > windows respond so negatively to a simple question.
    >
    > Look at all the other posts in this thread to learn how to post without
    > making yourself look like a jackass.

    LOL! If you're upset about that, go read Micro$oft newsgroups!
    Apart from some slip-ups, you'll find alt.os.linux.mandrake
    to be among the most civil groups.

    Here's some "help" posts I gleaned from microsoft.public.xp.general,
    after googling for "moron":

    =========================
    > Why do Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger both exist? I would have assumed
    > that after installing MSN Messenger it would have replaced Windows
    > Messenger. Now I have 2 Microsoft IM programs that both seem to want to take
    > control.

    And whose fault is that, you moron? They have different names; so it is
    your idiocy that you have two programs, with different names, that you
    seemingly installed as being the same thing to you!!!
    =======================
    Amethyst, after spending 3 minutes figuring out which end of the pen to use,
    wrote:

    > felix figueroa wrote:
    >> I was just wondering what the blue hilighted text meant
    >> when im looking in my folders...recently modified?

    > It means that, in the time it took you to compose this post you could have
    > searched the group and found your answer.

    http://amishrakefight.org/gfy/

    Enjoy it, you fucking moron.

    John
    =======================
    "Michael" <> wrote in news:O38IQZcPBHA.1556@tkmsftngp03:

    > Cann't not boot Wondows XP from CD-ROM

    You moron your date is 2015. What is the point of that?
    =======================
    Activate it moron!!

    =======================
    Crusty (-: Old B@stard :), after spending 3 minutes figuring out which end of
    the pen to use, wrote:

    > Pay for it!
    >
    > "Roscoe P" <> wrote in message
    >> How do I get A Replacement CD for Windows XP Home
    >> Edition? Thanks !

    Top posting moron. There's dingleberries that have more sense than you.

    John

    nobody, Jul 19, 2003
  15. cowboyzlinux

    Vwakes Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 cowboyzlinux wrote:

    >> Does the OP have a VFAT or NTFS Windoze partition? The moron failed
    >> to mention that.

    >moron? Another example of why Linux is having a hard time making
    >mainstream.

    Another example of flawed cause and effect. Why would somebody calling
    you a moron affect you from choosing which OS to use?

    >I have been using it for about a week and really like it but with help
    >and support like this?

    Why should that influence you?

    >Never seen anyone helping out with windows respond so negatively to a
    >simple question.

    Maybe they thought about it but kept quiet. What difference that does
    make anyway? You are still a moron. I mean based on the merit of one's
    question and how one defines moron.

    V.

    Vwakes, Jul 19, 2003
  16. cowboyzlinux

    lily Guest

    > moron? Another example of why Linux is having a hard time making
    > mainstream. I have been using it for about a week and really like it but
    > with help and support like this? Never seen anyone helping out with
    > windows respond so negatively to a simple question.
    >
    > Look at all the other posts in this thread to learn how to post without
    > making yourself look like a jackass.

    It took you a while to set up that flamewar.
    Full marks for the persistence.

    The people you are responding to are individuals, Get it ?
    They have no more stake in the mainstream adoption of Linux than you do.

    So wanking on like this isn't going to change any of their responses, you
    are wasting your keystrokes.

    lily, Jul 19, 2003
  17. cowboyzlinux

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Dave Uhring wrote:

    > On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 16:44:34 +1200, cowboyzlinux wrote:
    >

    >>moron? Another example of why Linux is having a hard time making
    >>mainstream. I have been using it for about a week and really like it but
    >>with help and support like this? Never seen anyone helping out with
    >>windows respond so negatively to a simple question.
    >>
    >>Look at all the other posts in this thread to learn how to post without
    >>making yourself look like a jackass.
    >>

    > Even Windows NT-whatever asks you on install what type of filesystem you
    > wish to use when you install it. Of course you may not even know enough
    > about Windows to even have that knowledge since you probably did not have
    > the experience of installing Windows. You might have uncovered that
    > ignorance by executing 'fdisk -l /dev/hda'.
    >
    > If you are so stupid as to not even know what filesystem your Windows uses
    > then you are indeed a moron and no apologies are in order.
    >
    > The jackass here is the one which has no knowledge of anything. Ask a
    > smart question and get an honest answer. I could not care less whether
    > you use Windows or Linux. If you cannot ask an intelligent question I
    > would just as soon you quit Linux and stay with Windows.

    A few years ago a question like the OP's would never have elicited such
    a boorish response. I guess this is an inevitable consequence of Linux
    becoming more popular.

    Gib

    Gib Bogle, Jul 19, 2003
  18. cowboyzlinux

    Gib Bogle Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > "Billy Watt" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>In news:p,
    >>Dave Uhring <> rambled:
    >>

    >>>Does the OP have a VFAT or NTFS Windoze partition? The moron failed
    >>>to mention that.
    >>>

    >>No idea, I was just replying to the cretin who suggested writing to NTFS
    >>

    > was
    >
    >>as easy as changing a letter in /etc/fstab.
    >>

    > "Moron"? "Cretin"? My my, how friendly this group is these days.

    Somehow a line from Pope pops into my mind: "A little learning is a
    dangerous thing".

    Gib

    Gib Bogle, Jul 19, 2003
  19. cowboyzlinux

    Hawk Eye Guest

    On 19/07/03 05:44 cowboyzlinux spoke thusly

    > moron? Another example of why Linux is having a hard time making
    > mainstream. I have been using it for about a week and really like it but
    > with help and support like this? Never seen anyone helping out with
    > windows respond so negatively to a simple question.
    >
    > Look at all the other posts in this thread to learn how to post without
    > making yourself look like a jackass.

    Dude, totally agree, unless there was articles missing from my news
    server (possible) there was no need for that attitude. Anyway can I
    suggest an alternative to what has been suggested here? I'm a newbie
    too but I found a really cool Windoze prog that allows me to browse my
    Linux partition and copy the files off, it claims to be able to write to
    Linux partitions but I have not switched this facility on (its off by
    default)

    Anyway the prog is called 'explore2fs' and is freeware on MS. Really
    useful and saves an awful lot of messing if your in Win and realise you
    have forgotten something (do it all the time when burning VCD - still
    can't beat Nero / TmpGenc)

    HTH

    Neil
    -=-=-
    .... Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my Hard Drive?
    * TagZilla 0.049

    Hawk Eye, Jul 19, 2003
  20. cowboyzlinux

    cowboyzlinux Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 19:49:44 +1200, lily wrote:

    > "cowboyzlinux" <> wrote in message
    >> moron? Another example of why Linux is having a hard time making
    >> mainstream. I have been using it for about a week and really like it but
    >> with help and support like this? Never seen anyone helping out with
    >> windows respond so negatively to a simple question.
    >>
    >> Look at all the other posts in this thread to learn how to post without
    >> making yourself look like a jackass.
    >>

    > It took you a while to set up that flamewar.
    > Full marks for the persistence.

    I have read through all the responses and I'll start at the top.

    Took a while to setup a flamewar? WTF are you on about?

    > The people you are responding to are individuals, Get it ?
    > They have no more stake in the mainstream adoption of Linux than you do.

    Err.... Isn't Linux *based* on a community of support? I got some
    helpful replies from my question. Enough to now know that sharing a NTFS
    partition is not recommended. As it turns out it being NTFS or FAT is
    irrelevant as it is both. 1 FAT32, 1NTFS and 1 40G drive that had yet to
    be formatted. From the helpful responses I got I chose to format the 40
    to FAT32. Problem solved.

    > So wanking on like this isn't going to change any of their responses, you
    > are wasting your keystrokes.

    I guess I am just not the type of guy to bend over cause some wank knows
    more than I do about a certain OS.

    cowboyzlinux, Jul 19, 2003