    The best I could do was custom frames that would cost $50

    If so many people are buying large format printers, where are they
    getting frames for them?

    william kossack, Jan 9, 2005

  2. william kossack

    Bob Hatch Guest

    "william kossack" <> wrote in message
    news:
    > I spent part of my day looking for frames for a couple pics I printed
    > out on my canon i9900.
    >
    > The best I could do was custom frames that would cost $50
    >
    > If so many people are buying large format printers, where are they
    > getting frames for them?

    They are using the printers to print standard size large prints.

    11x14, 16x20, 20x24, 24x30, etc.

    13x19 is not and has never been a "standard" size.
    --
    "No man can climb out beyond the limitations
    of his own character." Viscount John Morley

    Bob Hatch, Jan 9, 2005

  3. "Bob Hatch" <> wrote in message
    > "william kossack" <> wrote in message
    > > I spent part of my day looking for frames for a couple pics I printed
    > > out on my canon i9900.
    > >
    > > The best I could do was custom frames that would cost $50
    > >
    > > If so many people are buying large format printers, where are they
    > > getting frames for them?

    > They are using the printers to print standard size large prints.
    >
    > 11x14, 16x20, 20x24, 24x30, etc.
    >
    > 13x19 is not and has never been a "standard" size.

    13x19 has always been a standard size everywhere except certain third-world
    countries that haven't gotten around to switching to metric yet.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Jan 9, 2005
  4. william kossack

    Darrell Guest

    > "Bob Hatch" <> wrote in message
    > > "william kossack" <> wrote in message
    > > > I spent part of my day looking for frames for a couple pics I printed
    > > > out on my canon i9900.
    > > >
    > > > The best I could do was custom frames that would cost $50
    > > >
    > > > If so many people are buying large format printers, where are they
    > > > getting frames for them?

    > > They are using the printers to print standard size large prints.
    > >
    > > 11x14, 16x20, 20x24, 24x30, etc.
    > >
    > > 13x19 is not and has never been a "standard" size.

    > 13x19 has always been a standard size everywhere except certain

    third-world
    > countries that haven't gotten around to switching to metric yet.

    13x19" with a nice matte will work well in a 20x24" frame..

    Darrell, Jan 9, 2005
  5. william kossack

    Skip M Guest

    "Darrell" <> wrote in message

    > "David J. Littleboy" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Bob Hatch" <> wrote in message
    >> > "william kossack" <> wrote in message

    >> > They are using the printers to print standard size large prints.
    >> >
    >> > 11x14, 16x20, 20x24, 24x30, etc.
    >> >
    >> > 13x19 is not and has never been a "standard" size.

    >> 13x19 has always been a standard size everywhere except certain

    > third-world
    >> countries that haven't gotten around to switching to metric yet.
    >>

    > 13x19" with a nice matte will work well in a 20x24" frame..

    I usually use a 24x30, it gives the same width all around.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Jan 9, 2005
  6. william kossack

    Skip M Guest

    > 13x19 has always been a standard size everywhere except certain
    > third-world
    > countries that haven't gotten around to switching to metric yet.
    >
    > David J. Littleboy
    > Tokyo, Japan

    One could say that the first world hasn't switched, since the second and
    third world have gone over pretty comprehensively... ;-)

    Skip M, Jan 9, 2005
  7. william kossack

    Mark² Guest

    "Skip M" <> wrote in message
    > "Darrell" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "David J. Littleboy" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "Bob Hatch" <> wrote in message

    printed

    > >> 13x19 has always been a standard size everywhere except certain

    > > third-world
    > >> countries that haven't gotten around to switching to metric yet.
    > >>

    > > 13x19" with a nice matte will work well in a 20x24" frame..
    > >

    > I usually use a 24x30, it gives the same width all around.

    Where are you finding decent frames in this area, Skip??
    I've been having a horrible time of it.
    Even more problematic...where to find custom frames for less than a mint!

    Mark², Jan 9, 2005
  8. william kossack

    Tony Guest

    I use the chanel (assemblable) frames these people sell.
    http://www.documounts.com/
    For a 13x19 I tend to make a 20x30 frame.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Jan 9, 2005
  9. william kossack

    Robertwgross Guest

    Bob Hatch wrote:
    >...13x19 is not and has never been a "standard" size.

    But that paper size is good for printing 12x18.

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, Jan 9, 2005
  10. william kossack

    Bob Williams Guest

    william kossack wrote:
    > I spent part of my day looking for frames for a couple pics I printed
    > out on my canon i9900.
    >
    > The best I could do was custom frames that would cost $50
    >
    > If so many people are buying large format printers, where are they
    > getting frames for them?

    13x19 is not a commonly available frame size. 11x14 is commonly
    available almost everywhere in the US.....And Cheap too.
    Most Art supply stores sell frame kits where you select any size you
    want (in pairs) for the top and bottom and the two sides.
    I haven't priced them lately but I'd guess that you could pick up a kit
    for ~ $30.
    Also, have you considered the frameless mounts. (Clips hold the picture
    behind a piece of glass or clear plastic, cut to the exact same size as
    the picture). They are quite inexpensive and look pretty nice for the
    right type of subject.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Jan 9, 2005
  11. william kossack

    Ron Hunter Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > "Bob Hatch" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"william kossack" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I spent part of my day looking for frames for a couple pics I printed
    >>>out on my canon i9900.
    >>>
    >>>The best I could do was custom frames that would cost $50
    >>>
    >>>If so many people are buying large format printers, where are they
    >>>getting frames for them?

    >>They are using the printers to print standard size large prints.
    >>
    >>11x14, 16x20, 20x24, 24x30, etc.
    >>
    >>13x19 is not and has never been a "standard" size.

    > 13x19 has always been a standard size everywhere except certain third-world
    > countries that haven't gotten around to switching to metric yet.
    >
    > David J. Littleboy
    > Tokyo, Japan

    Third world countries? Grin.

    Of course, one could just buy the frames on a piece by piece plan. Many
    craft stores will sell the frame pieces in just about any size cut you
    want, inch by inch (or centimeter by centimeter). Or, one could make
    his own with a simple miter box and some glue and fasteners.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Jan 9, 2005
  12. william kossack

    Savidge4 Guest

    >> I spent part of my day looking for frames for a couple pics I printed
    >> out on my canon i9900.
    >>
    >> The best I could do was custom frames that would cost $50
    >>
    >> If so many people are buying large format printers, where are they
    >> getting frames for them?

    >They are using the printers to print standard size large prints.
    >
    >11x14, 16x20, 20x24, 24x30, etc.

    A good choice for "Custom" framing is metal framing. If you visit your local
    Michaels art supply or the like you will find they sell metal frames in paired
    sets of most sizes in one inch increments upto about 36" Then all you need is
    a piece of plexi or glass and you are set!

    Another option is to goto your local frame store and get the glass and metal
    framing pre-cut but not put together... I have a local framer that gets me this
    stuff rather cheap!

    Hope that helps!

    Savidge4, Jan 9, 2005
  13. william kossack

    Charlie Self Guest

    Bob Hatch responds:
    >"william kossack" <> wrote in message
    >> I spent part of my day looking for frames for a couple pics I printed
    >> out on my canon i9900.
    >>
    >> The best I could do was custom frames that would cost $50
    >>
    >> If so many people are buying large format printers, where are they
    >> getting frames for them?

    >They are using the printers to print standard size large prints.
    >
    >11x14, 16x20, 20x24, 24x30, etc.
    >
    >13x19 is not and has never been a "standard" size.

    True enough, but there's no reason not to use it, and build one's own frames.
    Collect some matting tools, gather two mitering tools, and pick up pre-formed
    molding either from a frame supplier or from the local lumberyard and have at
    it. It's a lot of fun.

    Charlie Self
    "One of the common denominators I have found is that expectations rise above
    that which is expected." George W. Bush

    Charlie Self, Jan 9, 2005
  14. On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 23:28:38 -0800, Bob Williams <> wrote:

    >Also, have you considered the frameless mounts. (Clips hold the picture
    >behind a piece of glass or clear plastic, cut to the exact same size as
    >the picture). They are quite inexpensive and look pretty nice for the
    >right type of subject.

    Or you can get the glass cut a few inches bigger and place some coloured card
    behind the picture to make a border.

    --
    Chris Pollard

    http://www.cginternet.net

    Christopher Pollard, Jan 9, 2005
  15. william kossack

    Confused Guest

    On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 22:17:40 -0700
    In message <>
    "Bob Hatch" <> wrote:

    > > I spent part of my day looking for frames for a couple pics
    > > I printed out on my canon i9900.

    (snip)

    > They are using the printers to print standard size large prints.
    >
    > 11x14, 16x20, 20x24, 24x30, etc.
    >
    > 13x19 is not and has never been a "standard" size.

    Heck with frames...why is the ever popular 35mm 3:2 ratio
    missing from the list of standard size large prints?

    Or, looking at it the other way around, why are the
    (d)SLR's today using 3:2 instead of 5:4 ??????????

    Then there is 4:3...

    Jeff

    Confused, Jan 9, 2005
  16. In article <>,
    says...
    > I spent part of my day looking for frames for a couple pics I printed
    > out on my canon i9900.
    >
    > The best I could do was custom frames that would cost $50
    >
    > If so many people are buying large format printers, where are they
    > getting frames for them?

    http://americanframe.com has a nice web site and you can order online while
    viewing a preview. They do not charge extra for custom sizes. You
    can buy metal frame sections or wooden assembled frames as well as
    mats, backing material and even plexiglass, all cut to size.

    --
    Robert D Feinman
    http://robertdfeinman.com

    Robert Feinman, Jan 9, 2005
  17. william kossack

    Skip M Guest

    > "Skip M" <> wrote in message
    >> "Darrell" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "David J. Littleboy" <> wrote in message

    > printed

    >> > third-world
    >> >>
    >> > 13x19" with a nice matte will work well in a 20x24" frame..
    >> >

    >> I usually use a 24x30, it gives the same width all around.

    > Where are you finding decent frames in this area, Skip??
    > I've been having a horrible time of it.
    > Even more problematic...where to find custom frames for less than a mint!

    Aaron Brothers, in fact, they have a 1 cent sale going on, buy one, get
    another for 1 cent. All the frames we use for exhibition come from there.
    As far as custom framing, sheesh, everybody is expensive. I've had one done
    at Sumner & Dene down on University, somewhere between Park and 30th, and
    another done at The Archives here in Escondido. But both were rather
    pricey. Good work, but...

    --
    Skip Middleton

    Skip M, Jan 9, 2005
  18. william kossack

    Markeau Guest

    Instead of printing the full 13x19, for 3:4 I print 12x16 and for 3:2
    12x18 ... In the US I did not find Michaels to have a good selection
    of premade frames, but Aaron Brothers has an excellent selection (but
    they are a bit limited on their store locations):
    http://www.aaronbrothers.com/app/locator

    Markeau, Jan 9, 2005
  19. william kossack

    TAFKAB Guest

    > 13x19 has always been a standard size everywhere except certain
    > third-world
    > countries that haven't gotten around to switching to metric yet.

    Hey! What are you getting at? As far as I know, third-world countries are
    usually in debt, have ruthless governnemts run by religious zealots who make
    war on other countries...

    Never mind.

    TAFKAB, Jan 9, 2005
  20. william kossack

    Capt Nud Guest

    I cut my own mats, so I mat the 13 X 19 and put it in a 16 x 20 frame.

    Capt Nud, Jan 9, 2005