I bought the 10D, now what do I do

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mike Graham, Sep 28, 2003.

  1. Mike Graham

    Mike Graham Guest

    In article <>, Mattearoadie wrote:

    > I just bought the 10D. I have a canon film body so alot of the controls I
    > understand.

    If you just bought it then you should have the manual. It might come with
    a 'quick-start' chapter, or maybe a separate quick-start guide.

    > I am going to a take shots at a concert in about 6 hours, any
    > advice out there that would help.

    Did you get an external flash? If not, you're in for a rough time. Did
    you get an extra memory card or two? Or three?

    > What is the white balance and K temp?

    The white balance refers to the temperature of the light. The temperature
    of the light can cause colours to appear to the camera to be shifted either
    towards blue (cooler) or towards orange (warmer). You could use a hand-held
    meter to measure the temperature of the light and set the white balance
    accordingly, or you can leave the white balance set on automatic and it will
    do well enough on its own.

    > Also
    > what is adobe RGB.

    If you're going to be publishing the photos and using Adobe tools to do
    the postprocessing then it could be worth using adobe RGB. I just use sRGB,
    myself.

    > Maybe i should just use everything in auto mode for the
    > time being.

    That's probably a good idea.

    > I like to use manual mode .

    Then at the very least you should look up 'histogram' in the manual and
    read up on it.

    mike 'at' metalmangler.com |

    When that's broken I can use my Nikon D100 :cool:
    <http://www.metalmangler.com/photos/photos.htm>
    <http://www.photo.net/shared/community-member?user_id=766040>

    Mike Graham, Sep 28, 2003

  2. Mike Graham

    Mattearoadie Guest

    hey,

    I just bought the 10D. I have a canon film body so alot of the controls I
    understand. I am going to a take shots at a concert in about 6 hours, any
    advice out there that would help. What is the white balance and K temp? Also
    what is adobe RGB. Maybe i should just use everything in auto mode for the
    time being. I like to use manual mode .

    rene

    Mattearoadie, Sep 28, 2003

  3. Mike Graham

    gr Guest

    "Mattearoadie" <> wrote
    > hey,
    >
    > I just bought the 10D. I have a canon film body so alot of the controls I
    > understand. I am going to a take shots at a concert in about 6 hours, any
    > advice out there that would help. What is the white balance and K temp?

    Also
    > what is adobe RGB. Maybe i should just use everything in auto mode for

    the
    > time being. I like to use manual mode .

    If you don't know basic things like "what is white balance", then you should
    stick to auto mode.

    gr, Sep 28, 2003
  4. "Mattearoadie" <> wrote in message
    > I just bought the 10D. I have a canon film body so alot of the controls I
    > understand. I am going to a take shots at a concert in about 6 hours, any
    > advice out there that would help. What is the white balance and K temp?

    Select RAW output format if you have sufficiently large CF cards. You can
    then choose the white balance setting when you convert your images from RAW
    to TIFF or JPEG.

    John

    John Houghton, Sep 28, 2003
  5. Mike Graham

    Vince_Z Guest

    Re: I bought the 10D, now what do I do...YOU MEASURBATE!

    http://www.canondslr.com/articles/m-dream/

    sorry...couldn't resist.

    Vince_Z, Sep 28, 2003