I bought a cheap trackball mouse at Staples

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by makebusy7, Feb 19, 2006.

  1. makebusy7

    makebusy7 Guest

    and its so cheap that the only brand icon i can get from the mouse is a
    lowercase 'i' with a swoosh behind it.

    anyways its supposedly called a presentation mouse. it is handheld with
    a ball for the thumb and l/r click with index finger. it also has two
    buttons on the top [to be operated with thumb] which are currently set
    to 'forward' and 'back' on the browser.

    the mouse movement via ball rotation is very slow. i must roll and roll
    and roll just to position the pointer onscreen.

    this thing did not come with software. I have accelerated the mouse
    setting to fast [via windows control panel] and i still cant make it go
    faster.

    i am running windows xp home on a gateway notebook m500 circa 2003.

    is there third party software available for this sort of thing? this
    mouse was $10 so I am not above just chucking it out the window of a
    moving car on the highway if need be.

    also any other recommendations on a trackball handheld mouse are
    appreciated.

    oh this mouse is plugged in via usb

    tia

    make busy 7 @cimca$t.not

    makebusy7, Feb 19, 2006

  2. makebusy7 wrote:
    > and its so cheap that the only brand icon i can get from the mouse is a
    > lowercase 'i' with a swoosh behind it.
    >
    > anyways its supposedly called a presentation mouse. it is handheld with
    > a ball for the thumb and l/r click with index finger. it also has two
    > buttons on the top [to be operated with thumb] which are currently set
    > to 'forward' and 'back' on the browser.
    >
    > the mouse movement via ball rotation is very slow. i must roll and roll
    > and roll just to position the pointer onscreen.
    >
    > this thing did not come with software. I have accelerated the mouse
    > setting to fast [via windows control panel] and i still cant make it go
    > faster.
    >
    > i am running windows xp home on a gateway notebook m500 circa 2003.
    >
    > is there third party software available for this sort of thing? this
    > mouse was $10 so I am not above just chucking it out the window of a
    > moving car on the highway if need be.
    >
    > also any other recommendations on a trackball handheld mouse are
    > appreciated.
    >
    > oh this mouse is plugged in via usb
    >
    > tia

    Duh, why not ask the person who sold you the mouse, or are the staff
    there thicker than you?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Feb 19, 2006

  3. makebusy7

    makebusy7 Guest

    Because there is a newsgroup dedicated to helping the helpless, that is why

    makebusy7, Feb 19, 2006
  4. makebusy7

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 11:36:46 -0500, makebusy7 wrote:

    >Because there is a newsgroup dedicated to helping the helpless, that is why

    When did that happen?

    >Brian H¹© wrote:
    > > makebusy7 wrote:
    > >> and its so cheap that the only brand icon i can get from the mouse is
    > >> a lowercase 'i' with a swoosh behind it.

    <snip>

    > > Duh, why not ask the person who sold you the mouse, or are the staff
    > > there thicker than you?

    Me

    why?, Feb 19, 2006
  5. makebusy7

    JP Guest

    "makebusy7" <> wrote in message
    > and its so cheap that the only brand icon i can get from the mouse is a
    > lowercase 'i' with a swoosh behind it.
    >
    > anyways its supposedly called a presentation mouse. it is handheld with a
    > ball for the thumb and l/r click with index finger. it also has two
    > buttons on the top [to be operated with thumb] which are currently set to
    > 'forward' and 'back' on the browser.
    >
    > the mouse movement via ball rotation is very slow. i must roll and roll
    > and roll just to position the pointer onscreen.
    >
    > this thing did not come with software. I have accelerated the mouse
    > setting to fast [via windows control panel] and i still cant make it go
    > faster.

    the speed setting in mouse settings in control panel should make some
    difference, I'm surprised if it hasn't.
    there should be a setting next to the speed slider with something like
    'enhance precision'. It makes the pointer move very slow when you move it a
    bit, and is probably best disabled.

    -JP

    JP, Feb 19, 2006
  6. makebusy7

    John Holmes Guest

    makebusy7 blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > and its so cheap that the only brand icon i can get from the mouse is a
    > lowercase 'i' with a swoosh behind it.
    >
    > anyways its supposedly called a presentation mouse. it is handheld

    with
    > a ball for the thumb and l/r click with index finger. it also has two
    > buttons on the top [to be operated with thumb] which are currently set
    > to 'forward' and 'back' on the browser.
    >
    > the mouse movement via ball rotation is very slow. i must roll and

    roll
    > and roll just to position the pointer onscreen.
    >
    > this thing did not come with software. I have accelerated the mouse
    > setting to fast [via windows control panel] and i still cant make it go
    > faster.
    >
    > i am running windows xp home on a gateway notebook m500 circa 2003.
    >
    > is there third party software available for this sort of thing? this
    > mouse was $10 so I am not above just chucking it out the window of a
    > moving car on the highway if need be.

    If I would be behind you, riding my bike, when you do, I'd follow till
    you have to stop and break your fucking face.

    --
    Your mother was a fly-covered taxi-driver who had her warts removed in
    caves.

    John Holmes, Feb 19, 2006
  7. makebusy7

    makebusy7 Guest

    John Holmes wrote:
    > makebusy7 blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> and its so cheap that the only brand icon i can get from the mouse is a
    >> lowercase 'i' with a swoosh behind it.
    >>
    >> anyways its supposedly called a presentation mouse. it is handheld

    > with
    >> a ball for the thumb and l/r click with index finger. it also has two
    >> buttons on the top [to be operated with thumb] which are currently set
    >> to 'forward' and 'back' on the browser.
    >>
    >> the mouse movement via ball rotation is very slow. i must roll and

    > roll
    >> and roll just to position the pointer onscreen.
    >>
    >> this thing did not come with software. I have accelerated the mouse
    >> setting to fast [via windows control panel] and i still cant make it go
    >> faster.
    >>
    >> i am running windows xp home on a gateway notebook m500 circa 2003.
    >>
    >> is there third party software available for this sort of thing? this
    >> mouse was $10 so I am not above just chucking it out the window of a
    >> moving car on the highway if need be.

    > If I would be behind you, riding my bike, when you do, I'd follow till
    > you have to stop and break your fucking face.
    >
    >> also any other recommendations on a trackball handheld mouse are
    >> appreciated.
    >>
    >> oh this mouse is plugged in via usb
    >>
    >> tia

    >> make busy 7 @cimca$t.not

    you guys are so meantome! :( Oh except for the ONE who told me about
    the mouse settings in windows ... which i referred to in my original
    message

    so anyways keep 'em coming

    makebusy7, Feb 19, 2006
  8. makebusy7

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:p,
    Blinky the Shark spewed forth:
    > On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 15:05:35 -0500, makebusy7 wrote:
    >
    >> you guys are so meantome! :( Oh except for the ONE who told me
    >> about the mouse settings in windows ... which i referred to in my

    For sure. I won't buy a mouse/trackball that isn't premium. The price is now
    only a few extra dollars for Logitech or MS, and the extra programmable
    features are well worth it.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 19, 2006
  9. On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 15:05:35 -0500, makebusy7 wrote:

    > you guys are so meantome! :( Oh except for the ONE who told me about
    > the mouse settings in windows ... which i referred to in my original
    > message
    >
    > so anyways keep 'em coming

    Okay, here's more good advice: pitch it and get something that isn't the
    cheapest Brand-X POS in the store. :)

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 19, 2006
  10. On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 12:19:00 -0800, Toolman Tim wrote:

    > In news:p, Blinky
    > the Shark spewed forth:
    >> On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 15:05:35 -0500, makebusy7 wrote:
    >>
    >>> you guys are so meantome! :( Oh except for the ONE who told me about
    >>> the mouse settings in windows ... which i referred to in my original
    >>> message
    >>>
    >>> so anyways keep 'em coming

    >> Okay, here's more good advice: pitch it and get something that isn't
    >> the cheapest Brand-X POS in the store. :)

    > For sure. I won't buy a mouse/trackball that isn't premium. The price is
    > now only a few extra dollars for Logitech or MS, and the extra
    > programmable features are well worth it.

    I haven't bought anything but Logitech for many years.

    Now, keyboards...that's different. I hate cleaning keyboards, so I buy
    $5-$8 units and pitch them after they've picked up X amount of soup
    splashes and hairballs. :) I have have two on the shelf that haven't
    been opened.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 19, 2006
  11. makebusy7

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:p,
    Blinky the Shark spewed forth:
    > On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 12:19:00 -0800, Toolman Tim wrote:
    >
    >> In news:p, Blinky
    >> the Shark spewed forth:

    Heh - I have cheap keyboards everywhere. I don't need anything fancy there
    either. I have a nice USB keyboard at work that has been way more trouble
    than the cheap PS2 model.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 19, 2006
  12. Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 12:19:00 -0800, Toolman Tim wrote:
    >

    >>In news:p, Blinky
    >>the Shark spewed forth:

    >>>Okay, here's more good advice: pitch it and get something that isn't
    >>>the cheapest Brand-X POS in the store. :)

    >>For sure. I won't buy a mouse/trackball that isn't premium. The price is
    >>now only a few extra dollars for Logitech or MS, and the extra
    >>programmable features are well worth it.

    > I haven't bought anything but Logitech for many years.
    >
    > Now, keyboards...that's different. I hate cleaning keyboards, so I buy
    > $5-$8 units and pitch them after they've picked up X amount of soup
    > splashes and hairballs. :) I have have two on the shelf that haven't
    > been opened.

    2 what on the shelf, soup splashes or hairballs?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Feb 19, 2006
  13. makebusy7

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:s45Kf.32954$,
    Brian H¹© spewed forth:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 12:19:00 -0800, Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>

    >>> In news:p,
    >>> Blinky the Shark spewed forth:

    Hairballs, of course. Everyone needs spare hairballs on the shelf...

    Toolman Tim, Feb 19, 2006
  14. makebusy7

    Dan Evans Guest

    "makebusy7" <> wrote in message
    > and its so cheap that the only brand icon i can get from the mouse is a
    > lowercase 'i' with a swoosh behind it.

    Bin it, get Logitech.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Feb 19, 2006
  15. On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 21:05:28 +0000, Brian H¹© wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 12:19:00 -0800, Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>

    >>>In news:p, Blinky
    >>>the Shark spewed forth:

    >>>For sure. I won't buy a mouse/trackball that isn't premium. The price is
    >>>now only a few extra dollars for Logitech or MS, and the extra
    >>>programmable features are well worth it.

    >> I haven't bought anything but Logitech for many years.
    >>
    >> Now, keyboards...that's different. I hate cleaning keyboards, so I buy
    >> $5-$8 units and pitch them after they've picked up X amount of soup
    >> splashes and hairballs. :) I have have two on the shelf that haven't
    >> been opened.

    > 2 what on the shelf, soup splashes or hairballs?

    Two new keybards, ya weenie. ;)

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 19, 2006
  16. On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 13:07:43 -0800, Toolman Tim wrote:

    > In news:s45Kf.32954$,
    > Brian H¹© spewed forth:
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:

    I don't have any cats, so I have to buy mine from the neighbors.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 19, 2006
  17. makebusy7

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:p,
    Blinky the Shark spewed forth:
    > On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 13:07:43 -0800, Toolman Tim wrote:
    >
    >> In news:s45Kf.32954$,
    >> Brian H¹© spewed forth:

    >>> 2 what on the shelf, soup splashes or hairballs?

    >> Hairballs, of course. Everyone needs spare hairballs on the shelf...

    > I don't have any cats, so I have to buy mine from the neighbors.

    There ya go, see! Supply and demand. Capitalism at it's finest <g>

    Toolman Tim, Feb 19, 2006
  18. makebusy7

    clot Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > In news:p,
    > Blinky the Shark spewed forth:
    >> On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 13:07:43 -0800, Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>
    >>> In news:s45Kf.32954$,
    >>> Brian H¹© spewed forth:

    >>> Hairballs, of course. Everyone needs spare hairballs on the shelf...

    >> I don't have any cats, so I have to buy mine from the neighbors.

    > There ya go, see! Supply and demand. Capitalism at it's finest <g>

    <vbg>

    clot, Feb 19, 2006
  19. makebusy7

    joevan Guest

    <> wrote:

    >In news:s45Kf.32954$,
    >Brian H¹© spewed forth:
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:

    Want some o mine, er I mean my cats. You are more than welcome to
    them.
    and for the same reason."

    joevan, Feb 19, 2006
  20. makebusy7

    John Guest

    On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 11:15:46 -0500, makebusy7 <>
    wrote:

    >and its so cheap that the only brand icon i can get from the mouse is a
    >lowercase 'i' with a swoosh behind it.
    >
    >anyways its supposedly called a presentation mouse. it is handheld with
    >a ball for the thumb and l/r click with index finger. it also has two
    >buttons on the top [to be operated with thumb] which are currently set
    >to 'forward' and 'back' on the browser.
    >
    >the mouse movement via ball rotation is very slow. i must roll and roll
    >and roll just to position the pointer onscreen.
    >
    >this thing did not come with software. I have accelerated the mouse
    >setting to fast [via windows control panel] and i still cant make it go
    >faster.
    >
    >i am running windows xp home on a gateway notebook m500 circa 2003.
    >
    >is there third party software available for this sort of thing? this
    >mouse was $10 so I am not above just chucking it out the window of a
    >moving car on the highway if need be.
    >
    >also any other recommendations on a trackball handheld mouse are
    >appreciated.
    >
    >oh this mouse is plugged in via usb
    >
    >tia

    Try
    http://drivers.soft32.com/download/driver-Microsoft_IntelliPoint_Mouse-23758-5.html

    It might be compatible with your trackball.

    John, Feb 20, 2006