    64bit, but sold as for system builders, and circut city and bestbuy only seem
    to have 32bit edition as far as i can tell, all it says is vista home.. ect.

    Does the Software install either version, or do you need a specific version?

    jcavatar, Jul 7, 2008

  2. "jcavatar" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > But all i can find is OEM For system builders... Am I missing something,
    > have
    > been to newegg.com, bestbuy.com, and circut city.com. But only Newegg has
    > 64bit, but sold as for system builders, and circut city and bestbuy only
    > seem
    > to have 32bit edition as far as i can tell, all it says is vista home..
    > ect.
    >
    > Does the Software install either version, or do you need a specific
    > version?

    NewEgg does carry all the Vista retail editions. What edition are you
    looking for?

    You have to use the 64bit dvd to install the 64bit version. The product key
    for the retail edition you buy works for both the 32bit version and the
    64bit version of the same edition. You pick which version (32bit or 64bit)
    to use by using the appropriate dvd.

    To buy a Vista Home Basic, Vista Home Premium, or Vista Business for 64bits,
    you first buy the regular package and then order the 64bit dvd for shipping
    and handling ($10) from the Alternate Media website at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033/ordermedia/default.mspx. These
    editions come with only the 32bit dvd in the box. The boxes have
    instructions for ordering the 64bit dvd as above. They generally arrive in
    the mail in about a week.

    If you buy Ultimate you get both the 32 and 64bit dvds in the retail box.

    Rather an odd arrangement, but that's how Vista is distributed.

    Any retail Vista box you see on NewEgg, upgrade or full edition, will
    entitle you to both dvds.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 7, 2008

  3. jcavatar

    jcavatar Guest

    "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

    > "jcavatar" <> wrote in message
    > > But all i can find is OEM For system builders... Am I missing something,
    > > have
    > > been to newegg.com, bestbuy.com, and circut city.com. But only Newegg has
    > > 64bit, but sold as for system builders, and circut city and bestbuy only
    > > seem
    > > to have 32bit edition as far as i can tell, all it says is vista home..
    > > ect.
    > >
    > > Does the Software install either version, or do you need a specific
    > > version?

    > NewEgg does carry all the Vista retail editions. What edition are you
    > looking for?
    >
    > You have to use the 64bit dvd to install the 64bit version. The product key
    > for the retail edition you buy works for both the 32bit version and the
    > 64bit version of the same edition. You pick which version (32bit or 64bit)
    > to use by using the appropriate dvd.
    >
    > To buy a Vista Home Basic, Vista Home Premium, or Vista Business for 64bits,
    > you first buy the regular package and then order the 64bit dvd for shipping
    > and handling ($10) from the Alternate Media website at
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033/ordermedia/default.mspx. These
    > editions come with only the 32bit dvd in the box. The boxes have
    > instructions for ordering the 64bit dvd as above. They generally arrive in
    > the mail in about a week.
    >
    > If you buy Ultimate you get both the 32 and 64bit dvds in the retail box.
    >
    > Rather an odd arrangement, but that's how Vista is distributed.
    >
    > Any retail Vista box you see on NewEgg, upgrade or full edition, will
    > entitle you to both dvds.

    I see, Actually, the Newegg home editions do not come with 64bit from what i
    am looking at now, Though now that i know what i am looking for i see the
    bestbuy editions have both disks and is being sold for 10 dollars more than
    thier newegg counterparts.

    Thank you for your responce, I use to think i Was PC smart but if you don't
    keep up for a few years (To much time playing mmo's) you tend to loose
    yourself :p

    jcavatar, Jul 7, 2008
  4. "jcavatar" <> wrote in message

    > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
    >
    >> "jcavatar" <> wrote in message
    >> > But all i can find is OEM For system builders... Am I missing
    >> > something,
    >> > have
    >> > been to newegg.com, bestbuy.com, and circut city.com. But only Newegg
    >> > has
    >> > 64bit, but sold as for system builders, and circut city and bestbuy
    >> > only
    >> > seem
    >> > to have 32bit edition as far as i can tell, all it says is vista home..
    >> > ect.
    >> >
    >> > Does the Software install either version, or do you need a specific
    >> > version?

    >> NewEgg does carry all the Vista retail editions. What edition are you
    >> looking for?
    >>
    >> You have to use the 64bit dvd to install the 64bit version. The product
    >> key
    >> for the retail edition you buy works for both the 32bit version and the
    >> 64bit version of the same edition. You pick which version (32bit or
    >> 64bit)
    >> to use by using the appropriate dvd.
    >>
    >> To buy a Vista Home Basic, Vista Home Premium, or Vista Business for
    >> 64bits,
    >> you first buy the regular package and then order the 64bit dvd for
    >> shipping
    >> and handling ($10) from the Alternate Media website at
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033/ordermedia/default.mspx.
    >> These
    >> editions come with only the 32bit dvd in the box. The boxes have
    >> instructions for ordering the 64bit dvd as above. They generally arrive
    >> in
    >> the mail in about a week.
    >>
    >> If you buy Ultimate you get both the 32 and 64bit dvds in the retail box.
    >>
    >> Rather an odd arrangement, but that's how Vista is distributed.
    >>
    >> Any retail Vista box you see on NewEgg, upgrade or full edition, will
    >> entitle you to both dvds.
    >>

    > I see, Actually, the Newegg home editions do not come with 64bit from what
    > am looking at now, Though now that i know what i am looking for i see the
    > bestbuy editions have both disks and is being sold for 10 dollars more
    > than
    > thier newegg counterparts.
    >
    > Thank you for your responce, I use to think i Was PC smart but if you
    > don't
    > keep up for a few years (To much time playing mmo's) you tend to loose
    > yourself :p

    The reason that the NewEgg listings don't show 64bit versions is that there
    aren't any that are 64bit only. They all have 32bit dvds and a coupon for
    the 64bit dvd. All MS Vista retail boxes come that way except Ultimate
    which has both.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 7, 2008