    AND THEY WILL NOT REFUND MY SHIPPING !!!
    DAMN THEM!!!!
    NO MORE ORDERS

    J. Alfred Prufrock, Oct 10, 2003

  2. J. Alfred Prufrock

    Goldfinger Guest

    "J. Alfred Prufrock" <> wrote in message
    > I placed an order with the NEW!! DVD Planet last Thursday
    > It was NOT SHIPPEd till Tuesday
    > I paid extra $12.50 for next day shipping and what happened!!!
    > THESE PEOPLE SHIPPED IT REGULAR MAIL!!!!!!!!
    > I am out the $12.50 I paid plus what they charged me
    > There shipping charge to UPS was only $4.95
    > YET they charged me $8.00 shipping PLUS the $12.50 FOR NEXT DAY
    > AND THEY WILL NOT REFUND MY SHIPPING !!!
    > DAMN THEM!!!!
    > NO MORE ORDERS

    I often wonder why people would need their DVDs for next day. Couldn't you
    wait a few days and use free shippers like amazon. If you discs are
    shipped Friday, USPS and courier are about the same.

    Goldfinger, Oct 10, 2003

  3. J. Alfred Prufrock

    Wade365 Guest

    << I often wonder why people would need their DVDs for next day. Couldn't you
    wait a few days and use free shippers like amazon. If you discs are
    shipped Friday, USPS and courier are about the same. >>

    I agree, I ALWAYS use the free shipping at amazon and it gets to me
    right-quick... but what if this person was getting a last minute gift or
    something? I almost had to do that about a month ago... it could happen...

    Wade365, Oct 10, 2003
  4. J. Alfred Prufrock

    Justin Guest

    Wade365 wrote on [10 Oct 2003 17:57:31 GMT]:
    ><< I often wonder why people would need their DVDs for next day. Couldn't you
    > wait a few days and use free shippers like amazon. If you discs are
    > shipped Friday, USPS and courier are about the same. >>
    >
    > I agree, I ALWAYS use the free shipping at amazon and it gets to me
    > right-quick... but what if this person was getting a last minute gift or
    > something? I almost had to do that about a month ago... it could happen...

    Then you go to a brick and mortar store and pay retail

    Justin, Oct 10, 2003
  5. J. Alfred Prufrock

    Guest

    In article <2go.com>,
    Justin <2go.com> wrote:

    > Wade365 wrote on [10 Oct 2003 17:57:31 GMT]:
    > ><< I often wonder why people would need their DVDs for next day. Couldn't
    > >you
    > > wait a few days and use free shippers like amazon. If you discs are
    > > shipped Friday, USPS and courier are about the same. >>
    > >
    > > I agree, I ALWAYS use the free shipping at amazon and it gets to me
    > > right-quick... but what if this person was getting a last minute gift or
    > > something? I almost had to do that about a month ago... it could happen...

    > Then you go to a brick and mortar store and pay retail

    While I agree with you guys for the most part, that's all irrelevant.
    The issue here is that he didn't get what he paid for. He should at
    least get a refund *if* he was told(or saw on the website) that the item
    was in stock and would ship when requested by the method requested.

    Scott

    , Oct 10, 2003
  6. J. Alfred Prufrock

    Lucas Tam Guest

    (Wade365) wrote in

    > but what if this person was getting a last minute gift or
    > something? I almost had to do that about a month ago... it could
    > happen...

    Bricks and Motar...

    --
    Lucas Tam ()

    Lucas Tam, Oct 10, 2003
  7. J. Alfred Prufrock

    Minder Guest

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 19:04:37 GMT, Lucas Tam <>
    wrote:

    >> but what if this person was getting a last minute gift or
    >> something? I almost had to do that about a month ago... it could
    >> happen...

    >Bricks and Motar...

    Not where I live. Here, if Wal-Mart doesn't have it, you don't get it.
    Online usually the only option I have. And there are a vast number of
    small towns like mine in this country.

    Minder, Oct 10, 2003
  8. J. Alfred Prufrock

    Mac Breck Guest

    "Minder" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 19:04:37 GMT, Lucas Tam <>
    > wrote:
    > >
    > >> but what if this person was getting a last minute gift or
    > >> something? I almost had to do that about a month ago... it could
    > >> happen...

    > >Bricks and Motar...

    > Not where I live. Here, if Wal-Mart doesn't have it, you don't get it.
    > Online usually the only option I have. And there are a vast number of
    > small towns like mine in this country.

    Circuit City
    Costco
    Best Buy
    Suncoast (but only if you absolutely have to get it immediately, because
    they're almost always full MSRP.). Buy at Suncoast only when stuff's marked
    down for a Sale.

    --
    Mac Breck (KoshN) - from the desktop PC
    -------------------------------

    Mac Breck, Oct 10, 2003
  9. J. Alfred Prufrock

    Impmon Guest

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 11:51:23 -0500, J. Alfred Prufrock <>
    typed:

    >I placed an order with the NEW!! DVD Planet last Thursday
    >It was NOT SHIPPEd till Tuesday
    >I paid extra $12.50 for next day shipping and what happened!!!
    >THESE PEOPLE SHIPPED IT REGULAR MAIL!!!!!!!!
    >I am out the $12.50 I paid plus what they charged me
    >There shipping charge to UPS was only $4.95
    >YET they charged me $8.00 shipping PLUS the $12.50 FOR NEXT DAY
    >AND THEY WILL NOT REFUND MY SHIPPING !!!
    > DAMN THEM!!!!
    >NO MORE ORDERS

    Was it paid with a CC? Call your company and have them put a stop
    payment on the charge until DVD Planet coughs up the difference and
    provide a sensible explaination why you were charged $12.50 for a
    service *not* rendered.
    --
    space for rent.
    To reply, change digi.mon to tds.net

    Impmon, Oct 11, 2003
  10. J. Alfred Prufrock

    Peter Guest

    You paid $12.50 for shipping ? Why not just go to your local Wal-mart
    and buy the DVD's. Unless these were some how super-rare and hard to
    find DVD's.
    I never figured out the reason for online shopping when bricks and motar
    is just as cheap, with out S&H costs.

    With one exception I found. Chapters.ca has free S&H on books over $30,
    and they also had 30% off on books over 30 dollars. So It was cheaper
    for me to buy a hardcover from them then their store.

    --
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the
    computer you will find at least two human errors,

    Peter, Oct 12, 2003
  11. "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > You paid $12.50 for shipping ? Why not just go to your local Wal-mart
    > and buy the DVD's. Unless these were some how super-rare and hard to
    > find DVD's.
    > I never figured out the reason for online shopping when bricks and motar
    > is just as cheap, with out S&H costs.

    Some people might prefer the convenience of not having to go the brick and
    mortar store.

    Personally, I buy any newly released catalog title that I don't expect to be
    deeply discounted (or available at all) at a brick and mortar store and buy
    all "big" new releases (like "The Matrix Reloaded") at brick and mortar
    stores. I got tired of going on a scavenger hunt every Tuesday to find
    catalog titles that were supposed to have been released that day.

    Brandon Fisher, Oct 12, 2003
  12. J. Alfred Prufrock

    Wade365 Guest

    << I got tired of going on a scavenger hunt every Tuesday to find
    catalog titles that were supposed to have been released that day. >>

    Can I get an "ahmen"?

    Wade365, Oct 12, 2003
  13. J. Alfred Prufrock

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Brandon Fisher wrote:
    > Some people might prefer the convenience of not having to go the brick and
    > mortar store.
    >
    > Personally, I buy any newly released catalog title that I don't expect to be
    > deeply discounted (or available at all) at a brick and mortar store

    I assume that you mean online here.

    > and buy
    > all "big" new releases (like "The Matrix Reloaded") at brick and mortar
    > stores. I got tired of going on a scavenger hunt every Tuesday to find
    > catalog titles that were supposed to have been released that day.

    That's more or less my strategy.

    dick

    Dick Sidbury, Oct 12, 2003
  14. On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 17:30:27 GMT, "Brandon Fisher"
    <> wrote:

    >"Peter" <> wrote in message
    >> You paid $12.50 for shipping ? Why not just go to your local Wal-mart
    >> and buy the DVD's. Unless these were some how super-rare and hard to
    >> find DVD's.
    >> I never figured out the reason for online shopping when bricks and motar
    >> is just as cheap, with out S&H costs.

    >Some people might prefer the convenience of not having to go the brick and
    >mortar store.

    One obvious thing is that it is ultimately more expensive to go to a
    store when you factor in gas and time spent. Balance that against an
    online purchase which may be a dollar or two more but inlcuded free
    shipping and there's no contest.

    Besides the titles I buy are simply not available in the store in
    Canada, such as the Kino and and most Image releases.

    . Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Oct 12, 2003
  15. In article <Tcgib.94319$>,
    "Brandon Fisher" <> writes:
    > Some people might prefer the convenience of not having to go the brick and
    > mortar store.
    >
    > Personally, I buy any newly released catalog title that I don't expect to be
    > deeply discounted (or available at all) at a brick and mortar store and buy
    > all "big" new releases (like "The Matrix Reloaded") at brick and mortar
    > stores. I got tired of going on a scavenger hunt every Tuesday to find
    > catalog titles that were supposed to have been released that day.

    I now buy any "big" release via Best Buy online, you get free shipping
    and the exact same price as they sell it for in their stores. But if
    you preorder, don't let their non-discounted prices scare you. I
    ordered Matrix Reloaded from them at their listed $19.99, but they
    shipped it at $14.99. I do this even though there is a Best Buy 20
    miles from my house just for the convenience.

    David E. Bath, Oct 13, 2003
  16. Steve(JazzHunter) <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 17:30:27 GMT, "Brandon Fisher"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >"Peter" <> wrote in message

    > >Some people might prefer the convenience of not having to go the brick and
    > >mortar store.

    > One obvious thing is that it is ultimately more expensive to go to a
    > store when you factor in gas and time spent. Balance that against an
    > online purchase which may be a dollar or two more but inlcuded free
    > shipping and there's no contest.

    You left out sales tax...

    Frank Malczewski, Oct 13, 2003
  17. On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 23:10:01 -0600, (Frank
    Malczewski) wrote:

    >Steve(JazzHunter) <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 17:30:27 GMT, "Brandon Fisher"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >> >"Peter" <> wrote in message

    >> >Some people might prefer the convenience of not having to go the brick and
    >> >mortar store.

    >> One obvious thing is that it is ultimately more expensive to go to a
    >> store when you factor in gas and time spent. Balance that against an
    >> online purchase which may be a dollar or two more but inlcuded free
    >> shipping and there's no contest.

    >You left out sales tax...

    Yes, I forgot that. Ordering online also means not paying the sales
    tax if using a seller outside Ontario. Purchases form Quebec charge
    GST 7% but not provicial tax, no shipping costs even on single discs,
    and the prices often beat the Bricks and Mortar shops anway.
    . Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Oct 13, 2003
  18. J. Alfred Prufrock

    Mac Breck Guest

    "Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 17:30:27 GMT, "Brandon Fisher"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >"Peter" <> wrote in message
    > >> You paid $12.50 for shipping ? Why not just go to your local Wal-mart
    > >> and buy the DVD's. Unless these were some how super-rare and hard to
    > >> find DVD's.
    > >> I never figured out the reason for online shopping when bricks and

    motar
    > >> is just as cheap, with out S&H costs.

    > >Some people might prefer the convenience of not having to go the brick

    and
    > >mortar store.

    > One obvious thing is that it is ultimately more expensive to go to a
    > store when you factor in gas and time spent. Balance that against an
    > online purchase which may be a dollar or two more but inlcuded free
    > shipping and there's no contest.

    Unless the DVD manufacturer's DVD set packaging is crap, doesn't hold the
    DVDs on the hubs during shipping, and the chances of you getting your DVD
    set in the mail, with all the DVDs **on their hubs** and **unscratched** is
    oh, around **0%**. Then, it's much easier to go to a brick & mortar store,
    open a set **in the store**, inspect it for loose/scratched DVDs, and just
    do that until you find an unscratched set, and buy it.

    Been there, done that. Saves endless round trips in the mail, and endless
    calls to customer support 800#, where you almost never get to talk to a
    human being, and sit on hold listening to California "happy music" for 1/2
    hr. before you're automatically cut off and told to call back at a less busy
    time. (Hint: There *is* no less busy time. It's *always* like that.) Once,
    I had to wait through 2.8 of those 30 minute wait cycles to get through to
    the customer "service" rep.

    Instead, I'd rather drive to Wal-Mart. Much, much less hassle.

    Mac Breck, Oct 13, 2003
  19. On 13 Oct 2003 12:43:13 GMT, "Mac Breck" <>
    wrote:

    >"Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 17:30:27 GMT, "Brandon Fisher"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >> >"Peter" <> wrote in message

    >motar
    >> >
    >> >Some people might prefer the convenience of not having to go the brick

    >and
    >> >mortar store.

    >> One obvious thing is that it is ultimately more expensive to go to a
    >> store when you factor in gas and time spent. Balance that against an
    >> online purchase which may be a dollar or two more but inlcuded free
    >> shipping and there's no contest.

    >Unless the DVD manufacturer's DVD set packaging is crap, doesn't hold the
    >DVDs on the hubs during shipping, and the chances of you getting your DVD
    >set in the mail, with all the DVDs **on their hubs** and **unscratched** is
    >oh, around **0%**. Then, it's much easier to go to a brick & mortar store,
    >open a set **in the store**, inspect it for loose/scratched DVDs, and just
    >do that until you find an unscratched set, and buy it.
    >
    >Been there, done that. Saves endless round trips in the mail, and endless
    >calls to customer support 800#, where you almost never get to talk to a
    >human being, and sit on hold listening to California "happy music" for 1/2
    >hr. before you're automatically cut off and told to call back at a less busy
    >time. (Hint: There *is* no less busy time. It's *always* like that.) Once,
    >I had to wait through 2.8 of those 30 minute wait cycles to get through to
    >the customer "service" rep.
    >
    >Instead, I'd rather drive to Wal-Mart. Much, much less hassle.

    I've bought $14,000 of DVD's in the last two years, from Amazon.com,
    Amazon.ca, DVDsoon, DVDplanet (not recently) and Barnes and Noble, and
    not ONCE have I ever had a problem. One DVD was delivered with the
    disc off the hub, but it was "The Sound of Jazz," a terrible quality
    release anyway, Once I received the wrong disc from Amazon.com, after
    an Email that was immediately answered they sent the correct disc,
    while letting me keep the incorect one NO CHARGE, once I received a
    defective tape from Amazon.ca, they sent me a good one, no charge and
    no return needed. All deliveries have been next day for DVDsoon and
    Amazon.ca, and 4 days for Amazon.com. Not ONCE has a disc ever gone
    missing, and almost never did I pay for shipping except for Amazon.com
    and the early orders with DVDplanet. and That's IT. Period.

    I think it boils down to picking the right suppliers and being decent
    with them if there is a problem. I go into the store and see what
    some discs cost, compared with the much lower price I paid
    online.......

    . Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Oct 13, 2003
  20. J. Alfred Prufrock

    > On 13 Oct 2003 12:43:13 GMT, "Mac Breck" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >"Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in message

    Wal-mart

    > >motar

    > >and
    > >>
    > >> One obvious thing is that it is ultimately more expensive to go to a
    > >> store when you factor in gas and time spent. Balance that against an
    > >> online purchase which may be a dollar or two more but inlcuded free
    > >> shipping and there's no contest.

    > >Unless the DVD manufacturer's DVD set packaging is crap, doesn't hold the
    > >DVDs on the hubs during shipping, and the chances of you getting your DVD
    > >set in the mail, with all the DVDs **on their hubs** and **unscratched**

    is
    > >oh, around **0%**. Then, it's much easier to go to a brick & mortar

    store,
    > >open a set **in the store**, inspect it for loose/scratched DVDs, and

    just
    > >do that until you find an unscratched set, and buy it.
    > >
    > >Been there, done that. Saves endless round trips in the mail, and

    endless
    > >calls to customer support 800#, where you almost never get to talk to a
    > >human being, and sit on hold listening to California "happy music" for

    1/2
    > >hr. before you're automatically cut off and told to call back at a less

    busy
    > >time. (Hint: There *is* no less busy time. It's *always* like that.)

    Once,
    > >I had to wait through 2.8 of those 30 minute wait cycles to get through

    > >the customer "service" rep.
    > >
    > >Instead, I'd rather drive to Wal-Mart. Much, much less hassle.

    > I've bought $14,000 of DVD's in the last two years, from Amazon.com,
    > Amazon.ca, DVDsoon, DVDplanet (not recently) and Barnes and Noble, and
    > not ONCE have I ever had a problem. One DVD was delivered with the
    > disc off the hub, but it was "The Sound of Jazz," a terrible quality
    > release anyway, Once I received the wrong disc from Amazon.com, after
    > an Email that was immediately answered they sent the correct disc,
    > while letting me keep the incorect one NO CHARGE, once I received a
    > defective tape from Amazon.ca, they sent me a good one, no charge and
    > no return needed. All deliveries have been next day for DVDsoon and
    > Amazon.ca, and 4 days for Amazon.com. Not ONCE has a disc ever gone
    > missing, and almost never did I pay for shipping except for Amazon.com
    > and the early orders with DVDplanet. and That's IT. Period.
    >
    > I think it boils down to picking the right suppliers and being decent
    > with them if there is a problem. I go into the store and see what
    > some discs cost, compared with the much lower price I paid
    > online.......

    So far, I've bought five DVD season sets of a certain Warner Home Video TV
    show, and *every* set has had one or two loose, and usually scratched discs.

    Season 1 (bought to give as a Christmas gift, online from Amazon.com): one
    loose, but the scratches were light and radial. As far as I know, it played
    OK.

    Season 1 (bought for myself, locally at Wal-Mart): two discs loose &
    scratched, but the scratches were light and radial. Played OK.

    Season 2: (bought for myself, online from DVD Planet): two discs loose &
    scratched, but the scratches were light and generally radial. Played OK.

    Season 3: (bought for myself, online from DVD Planet): two discs loose &
    scratched. Both discs hang a lot. Returned to DVD Planet for a refund.
    Would have liked to just exchange the defective discs, but they don't do
    that.

    Disc 4 (details of the problems encountered):
    --------------
    Episode #14
    DVD hangs, and skips from 00:00:56 to 00:01:36.
    DVD hangs at 00:05:39, and either skips from 00:05:39 back to 00:04:52 (over
    and over again), or skips ahead to 00:13:51.
    DVD hangs at 00:26:00, and skips back to 00:14:36.

    Episode #15
    DVD hangs at 00:35:19, and skips back to 00:04:27, or just stutters around
    for a few seconds and then continues.
    DVD hangs at 00:36:34, and skips back to 00:28:54, or just stutters around
    for a few seconds and then continues.
    DVD hangs at 00:40:53, and skips to 00:41:34.

    Disc 5 (details of the problems encountered):
    --------------
    Episode #17
    DVD hangs at 00:02:15, and skips to 00:02:26.
    DVD hangs at 00:04:56, and skips to 00:11:09.
    DVD hangs at 00:13:34, stutters around 00:13:34, 00:13:35, 00:13:36,
    00:13:37, and 00:13:38, and then skips to 00:13:47.
    DVD hangs at 00:13:54, and then skips to 00:14:04.
    DVD hangs at 00:14:49, and then skips to 00:14:59.
    DVD hangs at 00:29:04, and then skips to 00:29:45.
    DVD hangs at 00:30:59, and then skips to 00:31:09.
    DVD hangs at 00:31:59, and then skips to 00:32:04.
    DVD hangs at 00:32:19, and then skips to 00:39:52.

    Episode #20
    DVD hangs at 00:09:21, and then skips to 00:13:58.
    DVD hangs at 00:14:51, and then skips to 00:15:31.
    DVD hangs at 00:21:48, and then continues.
    DVD hangs at 00:38:14, then skips to 00:38:16, and then skips to 00:39:02.
    DVD hangs at 00:39:07, 00:39:08, 00:39:09, and 00:39:10, and then skips to
    00:39:51.
    DVD hangs at 00:40:02, 00:40:05, 00:40:07 and 00:40:08, and then skips to
    00:40:14.

    Externally, the package looked perfect when it arrived in the mail. No
    signs of damage at all, not on the external box and not on the internal box
    (the DVD packaging).

    Season 3: (bought for myself, locally at Wal-Mart): one disc (#2) loose but
    not scratched. Whew! All discs played OK.

    Mac Breck, Oct 13, 2003