I am so sick of this problem with my PC!! Can't anyone help???

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by A Shropshire Lad, Dec 12, 2005.

  1. I have a long standng problem with my PC, at present a Mesh XP dual core 2Gb
    thing.

    I use an ADSL broadband connection with British .Telecom , XP2 Home SP2.

    The problem is that more often than not, when I switch on, it boots up to
    the windows desktop OK (if a bit slowly) and although my online data backup
    system, Zonealarm, Opera and Mozilla seem to accept that there is an
    Internet connection, running IE or OE makes them hang. Pressing the
    Send/Receive button in OE makes it stick in and nothing else happens.

    I also can't get into my Network Connections menus, it just locks up.

    This isn't an ISP problem I am sure - other PCs on the home network seem
    never to suffer from this.

    There are no Spybots or Viruses as far as several scanners have found.

    I am at a loss to explain this. Generally, if I keep rebooting, it
    eventually allows the internet to all the programs that want it.

    I give up... has anyone any ideas? It is making me physically sick! Cash
    prize (!) for anyone who solves this.

    I CANNOT BELIEVE I am the only person in the world who has this problem...

    Thanks people.

    Steve

    A Shropshire Lad, Dec 12, 2005

  2. A Shropshire Lad

    Buffalo Guest

    "A Shropshire Lad" <> wrote in message
    > I have a long standng problem with my PC, at present a Mesh XP dual core 2Gb
    > thing.
    >
    > I use an ADSL broadband connection with British .Telecom , XP2 Home SP2.
    >
    > The problem is that more often than not, when I switch on, it boots up to
    > the windows desktop OK (if a bit slowly) and although my online data backup
    > system, Zonealarm, Opera and Mozilla seem to accept that there is an
    > Internet connection, running IE or OE makes them hang. Pressing the
    > Send/Receive button in OE makes it stick in and nothing else happens.
    >
    > I also can't get into my Network Connections menus, it just locks up.
    >
    > This isn't an ISP problem I am sure - other PCs on the home network seem
    > never to suffer from this.
    >
    > There are no Spybots or Viruses as far as several scanners have found.
    >
    > I am at a loss to explain this. Generally, if I keep rebooting, it
    > eventually allows the internet to all the programs that want it.
    >
    > I give up... has anyone any ideas? It is making me physically sick! Cash
    > prize (!) for anyone who solves this.
    >
    > I CANNOT BELIEVE I am the only person in the world who has this problem...
    >
    > Thanks people.
    >
    > Steve

    Just a thought.
    Try disabling ZA and just use the XP firewall.
    Do you have them both running at the same time?

    Buffalo, Dec 12, 2005

  3. I have ZA but switched off the Windows Firewall. Will let you know what
    happens.

    Any other suggestions meanwhile?

    A Shropshire Lad, Dec 12, 2005
  4. A Shropshire Lad wrote:

    > I have a long standng problem with my PC, at present a Mesh XP dual core
    > 2Gb thing.
    >
    > I use an ADSL broadband connection with British .Telecom , XP2 Home SP2.
    >
    > The problem is that more often than not, when I switch on, it boots up to
    > the windows desktop OK (if a bit slowly) and although my online data
    > backup system, Zonealarm, Opera and Mozilla seem to accept that there is
    > an Internet connection, running IE or OE makes them hang. Pressing the
    > Send/Receive button in OE makes it stick in and nothing else happens.

    Is your ADSL connection through a router with dhcp? Does it also supply
    nameserver adresses and the gateway IP by dhcp?
    Run "ipconfig /all" on the machine and paste the output.
    Do the same on a known-good machine in your network and compare.
    Then - again on your problem box and on another one that works - do the
    usual pings by IP and name, beginning with gateway (router/modem), your
    ISPs nameserver(s), some responding host on the net, your mail host.
    Do try the same with "telnet <IP-OF-MAILHOST> 25" (smtp, for sending) and
    110 for pop3 (receiving). You can close the telnet sessions - if a
    connection is established - with "quit".

    > I also can't get into my Network Connections menus, it just locks up.

    Try the "commandline" tool ipconfig. However, your box might be infected and
    the virus/malware hiddden by means of a "rootkit".

    > This isn't an ISP problem I am sure - other PCs on the home network seem
    > never to suffer from this.

    Take care ...

    ,,,
    > I give up... has anyone any ideas? It is making me physically sick! Cash
    > prize (!) for anyone who solves this.

    Begin with the simple tests: network cable, dhcp address, and so on.
    Try a liveCD (knoppix or others) if you don't trust your windows install.

    Walter Mautner, Dec 12, 2005
  5. A Shropshire Lad

    Fred Guest

    >I have a long standng problem with my PC, at present a Mesh XP dual core
    >2Gb thing.
    >
    > I use an ADSL broadband connection with British .Telecom , XP2 Home SP2.
    >
    > The problem is that more often than not, when I switch on, it boots up to
    > the windows desktop OK (if a bit slowly) and although my online data
    > backup system, Zonealarm, Opera and Mozilla seem to accept that there is
    > an Internet connection, running IE or OE makes them hang. Pressing the
    > Send/Receive button in OE makes it stick in and nothing else happens.
    >
    > I also can't get into my Network Connections menus, it just locks up.
    >
    > This isn't an ISP problem I am sure - other PCs on the home network seem
    > never to suffer from this.
    >
    > There are no Spybots or Viruses as far as several scanners have found.
    >
    > I am at a loss to explain this. Generally, if I keep rebooting, it
    > eventually allows the internet to all the programs that want it.
    >
    > I give up... has anyone any ideas? It is making me physically sick! Cash
    > prize (!) for anyone who solves this.
    >
    > I CANNOT BELIEVE I am the only person in the world who has this problem...
    >
    > Thanks people.

    Not really the answer you are looking for, but why turn your P.C. off?

    Fred, Dec 12, 2005
  6. A Shropshire Lad

    old jon Guest

    >I have ZA but switched off the Windows Firewall. Will let you know what
    >happens.
    >
    > Any other suggestions meanwhile?
    >

    > "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "A Shropshire Lad" <> wrote in message
    >>> I have a long standng problem with my PC, at present a Mesh XP dual core
    >>> 2Gb
    >>> thing.
    >>>
    >>> I use an ADSL broadband connection with British .Telecom , XP2 Home SP2.
    >>>
    >>> The problem is that more often than not, when I switch on, it boots up
    >>> the windows desktop OK (if a bit slowly) and although my online data
    >>> backup
    >>> system, Zonealarm, Opera and Mozilla seem to accept that there is an
    >>> Internet connection, running IE or OE makes them hang. Pressing the
    >>> Send/Receive button in OE makes it stick in and nothing else happens.
    >>>
    >>> I also can't get into my Network Connections menus, it just locks up.
    >>>
    >>> This isn't an ISP problem I am sure - other PCs on the home network seem
    >>> never to suffer from this.
    >>>
    >>> There are no Spybots or Viruses as far as several scanners have found.
    >>>
    >>> I am at a loss to explain this. Generally, if I keep rebooting, it
    >>> eventually allows the internet to all the programs that want it.
    >>>
    >>> I give up... has anyone any ideas? It is making me physically sick! Cash
    >>> prize (!) for anyone who solves this.
    >>>
    >>> I CANNOT BELIEVE I am the only person in the world who has this
    >>> problem...
    >>>
    >>> Thanks people.
    >>>
    >>> Steve

    Have a look in the Event Viewer, you`ll probably get some clues.
    bw..OJ

    old jon, Dec 12, 2005
  7. A Shropshire Lad

    PC Guest

    "Fred" <> wrote in message

    > "A Shropshire Lad" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a long standng problem with my PC, at present a Mesh XP dual core
    >>2Gb thing.
    >>
    >> I use an ADSL broadband connection with British .Telecom , XP2 Home SP2.
    >>
    >> The problem is that more often than not, when I switch on, it boots up to
    >> the windows desktop OK (if a bit slowly) and although my online data
    >> backup system, Zonealarm, Opera and Mozilla seem to accept that there is
    >> an Internet connection, running IE or OE makes them hang. Pressing the
    >> Send/Receive button in OE makes it stick in and nothing else happens.
    >>
    >> I also can't get into my Network Connections menus, it just locks up.
    >>
    >> This isn't an ISP problem I am sure - other PCs on the home network seem
    >> never to suffer from this.
    >>
    >> There are no Spybots or Viruses as far as several scanners have found.
    >>
    >> I am at a loss to explain this. Generally, if I keep rebooting, it
    >> eventually allows the internet to all the programs that want it.
    >>
    >> I give up... has anyone any ideas? It is making me physically sick! Cash
    >> prize (!) for anyone who solves this.
    >>
    >> I CANNOT BELIEVE I am the only person in the world who has this
    >> problem...
    >>
    >> Thanks people.

    > Not really the answer you are looking for, but why turn your P.C. off?
    >>
    >> Steve

    Steve

    First rule of diagnistics = divide the problem in half.
    The obvious halves here are software/hardware.

    So to eliminate 'hardware' as the problem get one of the magazine boot CD's
    containing a bootable copy of Knoppix / Ubuntu/ Flavour of th month Linux.
    Get more than one distro in case any one has particular problems detecting
    your hardware.

    Set your Bios to boot from CD and boot from one of these Linux CD's.
    Make allowance for the fact the have to decompress and run in Ram but in
    essense if you have 'normal' net access then you can reasonably assume the
    problem is with your software / OS installation.

    If it is slow running under Linux then it is reasonable to assume you have a
    hardware problem. Try UBCD for diagnostic programs, substitute Lan cards,
    Ram test utilities etc.

    If the hardware comes thru OK then you are going to have to methodically
    work you way through your software settings till you find the problem.
    For example open a command prompt and ping one of the other machines, you
    should get a response of <1ms, then ping something outside (I usually try an
    ISP's mail server eg smtp.isp.com) mine for example just gave me <45, <49,
    <50, <47 ms.
    i.e. try and 'halve' the problem again by eliminating the transport layers.

    best luck

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Dec 12, 2005