    Thank you in advance
    --
    Sam
    Sam, Sep 13, 2007

  2. Sam: my answers inline:

    "Sam" wrote:

    > I have done lots of programming but in academic research constraints (Mostly
    > scientific computations) I used C, C++, and Java. Now that I am sick of
    > academia I want to join industry but it seems I need to prove myself by
    > getting some certifications. I never used .net. My questions are:
    >
    > 1- Do you recommend Microsoft Certifications to secure a good Job?

    If you are very experienced in Java, I would recommend the Sun Certified
    Java Developer certification.
    The Microsoft certifications do not test you on your knowledge of the
    languages, but rather how those languages interface or relate to the .NET
    Framework. If you have never worked on .NET, then you will have a lot of
    work cut out for you.

    > 2- Is MCAD good enough?

    Almost any certification will get you an interview, but you will have to
    shine at the interview to get the job. Is the MCAD good enough to get the
    interview? Yes.
    Good enough to get the job? Definitely not, especially if you have never
    used .NET. The rare exception being the company that needs another certified
    professional to obtain or retain a Certified Partner status.

    > 3- What timeframe I should be looking at to study and finish the MCAD
    > certifiction?

    I have over 25 years experience in IT (including five years teaching
    college), and I average between 100 and 200 hours of study for each exam -
    about two months each. Your mileage may vary.

    > 4- What preparation resources do you recommend?

    See some of my other posts for my study techniques. Obviously you should go
    to the Preparation Guide on the Microsoft website, and follow the links there.

    LarryWestMCSD, Sep 13, 2007

  3. "Sam" <> wrote in message
    >I have done lots of programming but in academic research constraints (Mostly
    > scientific computations) I used C, C++, and Java. Now that I am sick of
    > academia I want to join industry but it seems I need to prove myself by
    > getting some certifications. I never used .net. My questions are:
    >
    > 1- Do you recommend Microsoft Certifications to secure a good Job?
    > 2- Is MCAD good enough?
    > 3- What timeframe I should be looking at to study and finish the MCAD
    > certifiction?
    > 4- What preparation resources do you recommend?
    >
    > Thank you in advance
    > --
    > Sam

    Sam,

    Welcome to the industry! As you'll soon find out, there are many misconceptions
    about certifications; one of them being that you'll get a job by having them.

    I'm not trying to dissuade you from earning certifications, because they do have
    their worth, just make sure you're earning them for the right reasons.

    Here are a couple articles written by some good friends of mine that may help
    you on your path to certification.

    Certifications Alone do not Make the Pro by Mitch D. Garvis, MCT
    http://www.certguard.com/Certifications-Alone-Do-Not-Make-the-Pro.asp

    Why Certify? by Michael D. Alligood
    http://www.certguard.com/Why-Certify.asp

    Seven Steps to Certification Success by Michael D. Alligood
    http://www.certguard.com/Seven-Steps-to-Certification-Success.asp

    We have other Articles that may also interest you on this page
    http://www.certguard.com/Articles.asp and we have many resources dedicated to
    keeping individuals away from the illegal study materials on the internet.

    Good Luck on your Certifications!!

    --
    CertGuard
    Robert Williams [CertGuard], Sep 13, 2007