    (I would prefer a fritz box fon ata)

    Can anyone suggest me a simple solution for her?

    Regards.
    SBS, Oct 1, 2006

  2. SBS

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "SBS" <> wrote in message
    news:45202afd$0$5862$
    > Hi,
    > I am looking for a very simple voip solution for
    > a friend who lives in UK and wants an US phone
    > number because she has to make and receive calls
    > to and from United States.
    >
    > She needs a pre-configured ready-to-use device.
    > (I would prefer a fritz box fon ata)
    >
    > Can anyone suggest me a simple solution for her?
    >
    > Regards.

    There are plenty of US VoIP providers, just as there are UK ones. You can
    get a US number free from www.ipkall.com but these are limited to
    Washington state and a few other areas. They are not a true VoIP provider
    as such, but their numbers can be routed to most SIP addresses. (They do
    not currently work with Sipgate, but this is a problem at Sipgate's end
    which they know about and are working on, I will post here when I know
    more, hopefully this week).

    If there is a need to make calls to US numbers, then you will probably
    find a US provider will give better value for call charges, it depends on
    whether they'll let you sign up with a UK address or not. I don't use one
    so I can't personally advise, someone else may know or you may want to
    check out one or more of the US-based groups; comp.dcom.voice-over-ip is
    probably the best place to start.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Oct 1, 2006

  3. SBS

    Guest

    I'm very happy with ViaTalk, and their PAP2 adapter comes
    preconfigured, just plug it in, though it is NA, i.e. not tied to the
    company. I'm using their second port for a different port for a
    different provider. Their sign up page allows for service addresses
    all over the world. Check with them if they can help you.

    Thanks,

    Thomas
    See review at http://www.betterphone.org

    SBS wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am looking for a very simple voip solution for
    > a friend who lives in UK and wants an US phone
    > number because she has to make and receive calls
    > to and from United States.
    >
    > She needs a pre-configured ready-to-use device.
    > (I would prefer a fritz box fon ata)
    >
    > Can anyone suggest me a simple solution for her?
    >
    > Regards.
    , Oct 2, 2006
  4. SBS

    andy Guest

    Take a look at www.voicestick.com

    free incoming number, program in a USB memory stick, etc
    andy, Oct 3, 2006
  5. SBS

    Brian A Guest

    On 2 Oct 2006 16:59:43 -0700, "andy" <>
    wrote:

    >SBS wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> I am looking for a very simple voip solution for
    >> a friend who lives in UK and wants an US phone
    >> number because she has to make and receive calls
    >> to and from United States.
    >>
    >> She needs a pre-configured ready-to-use device.
    >> (I would prefer a fritz box fon ata)
    >>
    >> Can anyone suggest me a simple solution for her?
    >>
    >> Regards.

    >Take a look at www.voicestick.com
    >
    >free incoming number, program in a USB memory stick, etc

    That means using a PC. Who wants to do that everytime they want to
    make a call?
    Use an ATA - Fritzbox if you please. Remembering that you don't have
    to use the same company for outgoing calls as you do for incoming.
    So, you could choose a company for your incoming US number and use an
    entirely different company for your outgoing calls.
    There is IPkall as mentioned earlier, and I think StanaPhone does US
    numbers - there is another one that offers free Ohio numbers but I
    can't remember the name - someone else here might know.
    Avoid Gizmo 'Free' numbers - it costs £1 to RECEIVE a call unless you
    sign up to one of thier packages.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Skype Free Zone!!
    Brian A, Oct 3, 2006
  6. SBS

    Bala Guest

    Bala, Oct 3, 2006
  7. SBS

    andy Guest

    Iowa 641 or 515 area codes at www.freedigits.com
    andy, Oct 4, 2006
  8. SBS

    Brian A Guest

    On 3 Oct 2006 16:10:08 -0700, "andy" <>
    wrote:

    >Brian A wrote:
    >
    >> There is IPkall as mentioned earlier, and I think StanaPhone does US
    >> numbers - there is another one that offers free Ohio numbers but I
    >> can't remember the name - someone else here might know.

    >Iowa 641 or 515 area codes at www.freedigits.com

    Slip of the brain there, yes I meant Iowa.
    Brian A, Oct 4, 2006
  9. SBS

    Guest

    I get referral points only if someone orders the service (which is
    unlikely for most of the UK). Just accessing the information and
    reading my review and other pages doesn't "line my pocket". For more
    details about the referral program go to
    http://www.myreferer.com/mydb/?M=viatalk&ID=tauzinger&L=26.

    Thanks,

    Thomas

    Bala wrote:
    > On 1 Oct 2006 18:11:49 -0700, said:
    >
    > >See review at http://www.betterphone.org

    > Access the information without lining the guy's pocket at:
    > http://www.viatalk.com/
    , Oct 4, 2006
  10. SBS

    andy Guest

    Brian A wrote:
    > On 3 Oct 2006 16:10:08 -0700, "andy" wrote:
    >

    > >Brian A wrote:
    > >
    > >> There is IPkall as mentioned earlier, and I think StanaPhone does US
    > >> numbers - there is another one that offers free Ohio numbers but I
    > >> can't remember the name - someone else here might know.

    > >Iowa 641 or 515 area codes at www.freedigits.com

    > Slip of the brain there, yes I meant Iowa.

    close - you only had the syllables in the wrong order ...
    andy, Oct 4, 2006