I am disappointed in DVD

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Walter R., Jan 1, 2006.

  1. Walter R.

    Walter R. Guest

    I invested all of 40 bucks in a DVD recorder. I hoped I would be able to
    copy all kinds of good, old movies from netflix and the local public
    libraries. Alas. this dream of a great movie library was not fulfilled.

    Practically all DVDs that I borrowed from the library, especially the
    popular ones that I was interest in, were scratched and the movies barely
    stumbled along. The disks from netflix also jerked quite a bit and made for
    a less than exhilarating movie experience.

    I tried two different DVD players but the results were equally
    disappointing. The old VHS tapes worked much better.

    Was my experience unique, or do other folks have the same problems? Short of
    buying brand new movie DVDs, how can I get my hands on clean DVD disks?

    Happy New Year

    --
    Walter
    www.rationality.net
    -
     
    Walter R., Jan 1, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Walter R.

    RobMac Guest

    "Walter R." <> wrote in message
    news:dvTtf.8690$...
    >I invested all of 40 bucks in a DVD recorder. I hoped I would be able to
    >copy all kinds of good, old movies from netflix and the local public
    >libraries. Alas. this dream of a great movie library was not fulfilled.
    >
    > Practically all DVDs that I borrowed from the library, especially the
    > popular ones that I was interest in, were scratched and the movies barely
    > stumbled along. The disks from netflix also jerked quite a bit and made
    > for a less than exhilarating movie experience.
    >
    > I tried two different DVD players but the results were equally
    > disappointing. The old VHS tapes worked much better.
    >
    > Was my experience unique, or do other folks have the same problems? Short
    > of buying brand new movie DVDs, how can I get my hands on clean DVD disks?
    >
    > Happy New Year
    >
    > --
    > Walter
    > www.rationality.net
    > -
    >


    Unique.

    But with DVDs in the $20 range why not just buy good, clean, brand new
    copies and start a proper library of your own? I mean, if you're renting and
    hoping to steal a copy for yourself so you can presumably watch a movie over
    and over again, it really is much better to get a new one you can display
    prominently on a shelf in your living room....they make great conversation
    starters too, so there's another reason to buy instead of steal !!!

    If you copy then you have no case with nice poster art or liner notes....who
    wants that?



    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
     
    RobMac, Jan 1, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Walter R.

    Walter R. Guest

    Your argument is compelling. However, you are confusing *stealing* with
    *frugality*.

    I would never dream of buying a $ 20 DVD to see a crummy old movie. By
    copying an existing copy, I am not stealing: I am not depriving anyone of
    anything, which would be the essence of stealing. By copying a CD, instead
    of buying one which I would never do, I merely enhance my own standard of
    living without depriving any poor starving artist of anything. Just because
    something is against a stupid law, it is not immoral, as stealing would be.

    No, I don't want the nice bookshelf with brand new DVDs, as suggested by
    you. I just want the ethereal content of old DVDs.

    Ha!

    --
    Walter
    www.rationality.net
    -
    "RobMac" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > "Walter R." <> wrote in message
    > news:dvTtf.8690$...
    >>I invested all of 40 bucks in a DVD recorder. I hoped I would be able to
    >>copy all kinds of good, old movies from netflix and the local public
    >>libraries. Alas. this dream of a great movie library was not fulfilled.
    >>
    >> Practically all DVDs that I borrowed from the library, especially the
    >> popular ones that I was interest in, were scratched and the movies barely
    >> stumbled along. The disks from netflix also jerked quite a bit and made
    >> for a less than exhilarating movie experience.
    >>
    >> I tried two different DVD players but the results were equally
    >> disappointing. The old VHS tapes worked much better.
    >>
    >> Was my experience unique, or do other folks have the same problems? Short
    >> of buying brand new movie DVDs, how can I get my hands on clean DVD
    >> disks?
    >>
    >> Happy New Year
    >>
    >> --
    >> Walter
    >> www.rationality.net
    >> -
    >>

    >
    > Unique.
    >
    > But with DVDs in the $20 range why not just buy good, clean, brand new
    > copies and start a proper library of your own? I mean, if you're renting
    > and hoping to steal a copy for yourself so you can presumably watch a
    > movie over and over again, it really is much better to get a new one you
    > can display prominently on a shelf in your living room....they make great
    > conversation starters too, so there's another reason to buy instead of
    > steal !!!
    >
    > If you copy then you have no case with nice poster art or liner
    > notes....who wants that?
    >
    >
    > ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet
    > News==----
    > http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
    > Newsgroups
    > ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
    > =----
     
    Walter R., Jan 1, 2006
    #3
  4. Walter R.

    M.B. Guest

    Walter R. wrote:
    > Your argument is compelling. However, you are confusing *stealing* with
    > *frugality*.
    >
    > I would never dream of buying a $ 20 DVD to see a crummy old movie. By
    > copying an existing copy, I am not stealing: I am not depriving anyone of
    > anything, which would be the essence of stealing. By copying a CD, instead
    > of buying one which I would never do, I merely enhance my own standard of
    > living without depriving any poor starving artist of anything. Just because
    > something is against a stupid law, it is not immoral, as stealing would be.
    >
    > No, I don't want the nice bookshelf with brand new DVDs, as suggested by
    > you. I just want the ethereal content of old DVDs.
    >
    > Ha!
    >


    You're an ass. You're stealing. Plain and simple. And if you don't
    have the smarts to figure out how to properly make copies of
    COPY-PROTECTED DVDs, then you deserve what you get.
     
    M.B., Jan 1, 2006
    #4
  5. Walter R.

    Matt Guest

    "Walter R." <> wrote in message
    news:FzUtf.9978$...
    > Your argument is compelling. However, you are confusing *stealing* with
    > *frugality*.
    >
    > I would never dream of buying a $ 20 DVD to see a crummy old movie. By
    > copying an existing copy, I am not stealing: I am not depriving anyone of
    > anything, which would be the essence of stealing. By copying a CD, instead
    > of buying one which I would never do, I merely enhance my own standard of
    > living without depriving any poor starving artist of anything. Just
    > because something is against a stupid law, it is not immoral, as stealing
    > would be.
    >
    > No, I don't want the nice bookshelf with brand new DVDs, as suggested by
    > you. I just want the ethereal content of old DVDs.
    >
    > Ha!
    >

    Frugality. Another word for thief in this instance.
    You are stealing, pure and simple.
     
    Matt, Jan 1, 2006
    #5
  6. Walter R.

    Biz Guest

    Seems to me you got exactly what you were willing to pay for..
    "Walter R." <> wrote in message
    news:dvTtf.8690$...
    > I invested all of 40 bucks in a DVD recorder. I hoped I would be able to
    > copy all kinds of good, old movies from netflix and the local public
    > libraries. Alas. this dream of a great movie library was not fulfilled.
    >
    > Practically all DVDs that I borrowed from the library, especially the
    > popular ones that I was interest in, were scratched and the movies barely
    > stumbled along. The disks from netflix also jerked quite a bit and made

    for
    > a less than exhilarating movie experience.
    >
    > I tried two different DVD players but the results were equally
    > disappointing. The old VHS tapes worked much better.
    >
    > Was my experience unique, or do other folks have the same problems? Short

    of
    > buying brand new movie DVDs, how can I get my hands on clean DVD disks?
    >
    > Happy New Year
    >
    > --
    > Walter
    > www.rationality.net
    > -
    >
    >
     
    Biz, Jan 1, 2006
    #6
  7. Walter R.

    Bob Guest

    On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 18:05:59 GMT, "Matt" <>
    wrote:

    >> Your argument is compelling. However, you are confusing *stealing* with
    >> *frugality*.


    >> I would never dream of buying a $ 20 DVD to see a crummy old movie. By
    >> copying an existing copy, I am not stealing: I am not depriving anyone of
    >> anything, which would be the essence of stealing. By copying a CD, instead
    >> of buying one which I would never do, I merely enhance my own standard of
    >> living without depriving any poor starving artist of anything. Just
    >> because something is against a stupid law, it is not immoral, as stealing
    >> would be.


    >> No, I don't want the nice bookshelf with brand new DVDs, as suggested by
    >> you. I just want the ethereal content of old DVDs.


    >> Ha!


    >Frugality. Another word for thief in this instance.
    >You are stealing, pure and simple.


    Will you ninnies give it a rest.

    There are far more important things happening in the world than an
    individual making a copy of something solely for personal use.
     
    Bob, Jan 1, 2006
    #7
  8. Walter R.

    Justin Guest

    Walter R. wrote on [Sun, 01 Jan 2006 17:46:13 GMT]:
    > Your argument is compelling. However, you are confusing *stealing* with
    > *frugality*.


    Keep rationalising your breaking of laws and obtainining something you
    have no right to.
     
    Justin, Jan 1, 2006
    #8
  9. Walter R.

    Justin Guest

    Bob wrote on [Sun, 01 Jan 2006 18:36:42 GMT]:
    > On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 18:05:59 GMT, "Matt" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> Your argument is compelling. However, you are confusing *stealing* with
    >>> *frugality*.

    >
    >>> I would never dream of buying a $ 20 DVD to see a crummy old movie. By
    >>> copying an existing copy, I am not stealing: I am not depriving anyone of
    >>> anything, which would be the essence of stealing. By copying a CD, instead
    >>> of buying one which I would never do, I merely enhance my own standard of
    >>> living without depriving any poor starving artist of anything. Just
    >>> because something is against a stupid law, it is not immoral, as stealing
    >>> would be.

    >
    >>> No, I don't want the nice bookshelf with brand new DVDs, as suggested by
    >>> you. I just want the ethereal content of old DVDs.

    >
    >>> Ha!

    >
    >>Frugality. Another word for thief in this instance.
    >>You are stealing, pure and simple.

    >
    > Will you ninnies give it a rest.
    >
    > There are far more important things happening in the world than an
    > individual making a copy of something solely for personal use.


    Yes, it's OK to steal something as long as you don't kill, right.
     
    Justin, Jan 1, 2006
    #9
  10. Walter R.

    jayembee Guest

    "Walter R." <> wrote:

    > Your argument is compelling. However, you are confusing *stealing* with
    > *frugality*.


    "Frugality" is just a rationalization for stealing.

    > I would never dream of buying a $ 20 DVD to see a crummy old movie. By
    > copying an existing copy, I am not stealing: I am not depriving anyone of
    > anything, which would be the essence of stealing. By copying a CD, instead
    > of buying one which I would never do, I merely enhance my own standard of
    > living without depriving any poor starving artist of anything. Just because
    > something is against a stupid law, it is not immoral, as stealing would be.


    It doesn't matter if the owners of the property are not losing anything by
    your copying it given that you wouldn't buy it anyway.

    Our economic system is based on a quid pro quo arrangement. They
    have something you want (a movie), and you have something they
    want (money). The idea is that you give them money in exchange for
    their giving you the movie.

    If you copy it, even though they still have the original, you are getting
    something from them, without giving them anything in return. *That* is
    what makes it unethical, not just because it's against the law.

    And if it's just "a crummy old movie", why do you want it in the first place?

    -- jayembee
     
    jayembee, Jan 1, 2006
    #10
  11. Walter R.

    Mike Guest

    I believe the law allows for you to make a copy for your own use (backup
    or whatever) if you have fairly and squarly bought a legit copy.

    In my case (where lack of copy protection allows) I make a EP VHS copies
    from my collection of TV on DVD that will run a number of hours without
    me doing anything (do a lot of work at home I run them in the background
    and in that application quality is not too much an issue).

    But all those shows come from DVD's I bought fair and square.

    Anything I buy I usually don't consider crummy (even the bad movies I
    like in spite of themselves) so beyond the legal aspect, I want to make
    sure my dollars vote for making more of these TV and movie releases.

    I bought season one of The Mary Tyler Moore show on release day at thier
    hefty price because I wanted them to continue putting the show out.
    Well, not enough people did and it took TV on DVD catching on as a whole
    before they considered putting out season 2 (and conforming packaging to
    be at a friendlier price point). So, I bought season 2 when it finaly
    came out as well. Thankfully, season 3 is shorter in coming.

    The point is, don't expect the comanies to keep putting out "old crummy
    movies" when you don't make it clear they can profit from it.


    Mike


    jayembee wrote:
    >
    > "Walter R." <> wrote:
    >
    > > Your argument is compelling. However, you are confusing *stealing* with
    > > *frugality*.

    >
    > "Frugality" is just a rationalization for stealing.
    >
    > > I would never dream of buying a $ 20 DVD to see a crummy old movie. By
    > > copying an existing copy, I am not stealing: I am not depriving anyone of
    > > anything, which would be the essence of stealing. By copying a CD, instead
    > > of buying one which I would never do, I merely enhance my own standard of
    > > living without depriving any poor starving artist of anything. Just because
    > > something is against a stupid law, it is not immoral, as stealing would be.

    >
    > It doesn't matter if the owners of the property are not losing anything by
    > your copying it given that you wouldn't buy it anyway.
    >
    > Our economic system is based on a quid pro quo arrangement. They
    > have something you want (a movie), and you have something they
    > want (money). The idea is that you give them money in exchange for
    > their giving you the movie.
    >
    > If you copy it, even though they still have the original, you are getting
    > something from them, without giving them anything in return. *That* is
    > what makes it unethical, not just because it's against the law.
    >
    > And if it's just "a crummy old movie", why do you want it in the first place?
    >
    > -- jayembee
     
    Mike, Jan 2, 2006
    #11
  12. Walter R.

    Alpha Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I believe the law allows for you to make a copy for your own use (backup
    > or whatever) if you have fairly and squarly bought a legit copy.


    Not true in the US. Backup copies are not permitted in any copyright law,
    including and especially the DMCA.
     
    Alpha, Jan 2, 2006
    #12
  13. Walter R.

    Fuzzy Wuzzy Guest

    BRASSO, tissue and your eyeballs.

    Mix your tears with the brasso and use it on the tissue
    to rub the scratches out.
     
    Fuzzy Wuzzy, Jan 2, 2006
    #13
  14. Walter R.

    Large Farva Guest

    "Walter R." <> wrote in message
    news:dvTtf.8690$...
    >I invested all of 40 bucks in a DVD recorder. I hoped I would be able to
    >copy all kinds of good, old movies from netflix and the local public
    >libraries. Alas. this dream of a great movie library was not fulfilled.


    Well dammit. If you want to steal so bad, why not go rob a bank? Steal a
    car? Hold up a convenience store? This would be much easier than you trying
    to learn something technical.

    >
    > Practically all DVDs that I borrowed from the library, especially the
    > popular ones that I was interest in, were scratched and the movies barely
    > stumbled along. The disks from netflix also jerked quite a bit and made
    > for a less than exhilarating movie experience.


    I'll bet so. You poor bastard.


    >
    > I tried two different DVD players but the results were equally
    > disappointing. The old VHS tapes worked much better.


    Well there's your answer. Get yourself a VCR and shutup. Why not steal one?


    >
    > Was my experience unique, or do other folks have the same problems? Short
    > of buying brand new movie DVDs, how can I get my hands on clean DVD disks?


    Not possible. All DVD's come pre-scratched up just to piss of thieves like
    you.
     
    Large Farva, Jan 2, 2006
    #14
  15. Walter R.

    Matt Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 18:05:59 GMT, "Matt" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> Your argument is compelling. However, you are confusing *stealing* with
    >>> *frugality*.

    >
    >>> I would never dream of buying a $ 20 DVD to see a crummy old movie. By
    >>> copying an existing copy, I am not stealing: I am not depriving anyone
    >>> of
    >>> anything, which would be the essence of stealing. By copying a CD,
    >>> instead
    >>> of buying one which I would never do, I merely enhance my own standard
    >>> of
    >>> living without depriving any poor starving artist of anything. Just
    >>> because something is against a stupid law, it is not immoral, as
    >>> stealing
    >>> would be.

    >
    >>> No, I don't want the nice bookshelf with brand new DVDs, as suggested by
    >>> you. I just want the ethereal content of old DVDs.

    >
    >>> Ha!

    >
    >>Frugality. Another word for thief in this instance.
    >>You are stealing, pure and simple.

    >
    > Will you ninnies give it a rest.
    >
    > There are far more important things happening in the world than an
    > individual making a copy of something solely for personal use.
    >

    For obvious reasons I hope you get burgled and your car stolen.
    Then you can bleat on as much as you please about there being more important
    things happening in the world.
     
    Matt, Jan 2, 2006
    #15
  16. Walter R.

    Bob Guest

    On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 18:52:56 GMT, Justin <> wrote:

    >Yes, it's OK to steal something as long as you don't kill, right.


    Your idea of stealing is not the same as other people's.
     
    Bob, Jan 2, 2006
    #16
  17. Walter R.

    Bob Guest

    On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 10:12:49 GMT, "Matt" <>
    wrote:

    >> There are far more important things happening in the world than an
    >> individual making a copy of something solely for personal use.


    >For obvious reasons I hope you get burgled and your car stolen.
    >Then you can bleat on as much as you please about there being more important
    >things happening in the world.


    You are one sick puppy.
     
    Bob, Jan 2, 2006
    #17
  18. Walter R.

    Matt Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 10:12:49 GMT, "Matt" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> There are far more important things happening in the world than an
    >>> individual making a copy of something solely for personal use.

    >
    >>For obvious reasons I hope you get burgled and your car stolen.
    >>Then you can bleat on as much as you please about there being more
    >>important
    >>things happening in the world.

    >
    > You are one sick puppy.
    >

    I'm a sick puppy but you think stealing is ok?
    Something wrong here Bob.
    All im saying is it would be a different story if it was you who was being
    stole from.
    I'm not a religious man, but as far as I can remember one of the 10
    commandments was 'Thou Shall Not Steal'.
    Not "Thou shall not steal unless it's from a huge company, so that makes it
    alright then".
    Stealing is stealing, end of discussion. If you condone it then you have no
    recompense when it happens to you.

    Matt
     
    Matt, Jan 2, 2006
    #18
  19. Walter R.

    Bob Guest

    On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 16:11:40 GMT, "Matt" <>
    wrote:

    >> You are one sick puppy.


    >I'm a sick puppy but you think stealing is ok?


    You are one sick puppy for rushing to judgement.

    I NEVER said I copy anything. You assumed I did so you could spew your
    bigoted venom all over the place.

    I am interested in discussing the issue. My personal involvement has
    nothing to do with that discussion.

    People copy DVDs for personal use. That was allowed by the Fair Use
    Laws before a bunch of greedy lawyers got into forcing laws down our
    throats that a lot of people have no intention of giving their consent
    to.

    Do you enjoy fascists shoving a pole up your ass? Being from the Gay
    Capital of the World, Britain, it would not surprise me. Unarmed wimp
    peasants like the Brits enjoy the taste of the cane.

    The interests of the individual outweigh the interests of the state or
    its franchises like the recording industry. Just because these
    monoliths can buy congressmen means nothing in terms of serving the
    interests of individuals. But this is foreign to you who lives in a
    totalitarian dictatorship where tax bureaucrats can force their way
    into your home with a £500 fine if you do not comply.


    --

    Merry Christmas!

    http://www.illwillpress.com/xmas.html
     
    Bob, Jan 2, 2006
    #19
  20. Walter R.

    Guest

    On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 16:33:13 GMT, "Walter R." <>
    wrote:

    >I invested all of 40 bucks in a DVD recorder. I hoped I would be able to
    >copy all kinds of good, old movies from netflix and the local public
    >libraries. Alas. this dream of a great movie library was not fulfilled.
    >
    >Practically all DVDs that I borrowed from the library, especially the
    >popular ones that I was interest in, were scratched and the movies barely
    >stumbled along. The disks from netflix also jerked quite a bit and made for
    >a less than exhilarating movie experience.
    >
    >I tried two different DVD players but the results were equally
    >disappointing. The old VHS tapes worked much better.
    >
    >Was my experience unique, or do other folks have the same problems? Short of
    >buying brand new movie DVDs, how can I get my hands on clean DVD disks?
    >
    >Happy New Year


    Post your phone number and we;ll give you a call and help you with
    those copies. This is a service we provide free of charge just
    because we like to help people like yourself.

    Roberts
     
    , Jan 2, 2006
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. History Fan
    Replies:
    36
    Views:
    1,998
    Jim Thompson
    Aug 16, 2005
  2. mario

    Disappointed

    mario, Jun 10, 2004, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    87
    Views:
    2,217
  3. Open Wound

    Disappointed by Digital Rebel (Canon EOS-300D)

    Open Wound, Mar 7, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    619
    John Navas
    Mar 7, 2004
  4. The Man Behind The Curtain

    LCD TVs--disappointed

    The Man Behind The Curtain, Jul 4, 2005, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    72
    Views:
    2,099
    Jordan
    Jul 8, 2005
  5. The Man Behind The Curtain

    LCD TVs--No longer disappointed

    The Man Behind The Curtain, Jul 8, 2005, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    552
    The Man Behind The Curtain
    Jul 10, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page