    Thanks in advance for clarifying this issue for me.

    Best Regards,

    -Jorge

    Jorge Alvarez, Jul 21, 2003

  2. "Jorge Alvarez" <> wrote in
    news:bfh7kr$f0gua$-berlin.de:

    > I've read several complaints from actual owners of the Canon A70 and the
    > Minolta F100. They say the pictures are soft. If I am not mistaken, this
    > is because the firmware does not apply (or it does apply too little of)
    > a "sharpen" filter to the raw scan delivered by the sensor. Am I right?

    I suppose so.

    The softness comes from two sources - the lens and the Bayer interpolation.
    Good cameras with small sensors have lenses where the contrast is
    gradually decreasing near the resolution of the sensor. Then it looks
    soft - which can be mistaken for unsharp. You need to apply some sharpening
    sometime to compensate, but the later the better.

    > If I am, then my question is how is this a bad thing for those (like me)
    > who post-process everything in Photoshop and use USM as a last step
    > before printing. I have an Olympus C-4000 and wonder if I should
    > decrease the sharpness setting to the -5 minimum value; urrently the
    > setting is at 0. Not having experience on this issue, I am afraid that
    > by decreasing the setting some detail will be lost.

    You will not lose detail by using minimum sharpening in your camera.
    You are perfectly correct that you shall avoid sharpening in the camera.
    At least if you plan to do any manipulation to the image.

    Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Jul 21, 2003