    and so on!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thank You all so much for your time.
    The Time Traveler
    The Time Traveler, Apr 10, 2007

  2. The Time Traveler

    Paul Guest

    The Time Traveler wrote:
    > OK, to those of you who are pro's I am sorry about this question. but,
    > here goes anyway. Right now in my office I am running two PC's A Dell P4
    > 2GHs and an HP with a P4 1.3GHs. I am wanting to upgrade my hard ware
    > and I see the Core 2 duo +4600 or what ever running at 1.83 GHs. I
    > understand about having duel processors and the fact that 1 might be
    > working on one thing and the other working on something else. Is this
    > hoe this new Core 2 duo works and if so is the processor speed in GHs
    > about the same as what I'm running in two boxes?
    > I hope someone understands this and can help. I am very fustrated in
    > looking for Motherboards and chips and who's the best and what is faster
    > and so on!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    > Thank You all so much for your time.
    > The Time Traveler

    This is not the best set of charts, but it is a very large set of
    charts. You should get some idea of the multiplier that is appropriate,
    when dealing with Core2 Duo clock rates. The multiplier is probably
    at least 1.5x and in some cases is 1.8x or so. (So a 1.86GHz Core2
    processor, is closer to a 3.35Ghz P4.) Note that floating point and
    integer improvements are entirely separate issues, so you have to
    consider them separately. The above 1.8x factor is for integer
    execution.

    http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html

    There is some overlap between the old and the new. If you select a
    slow enough Core2 processor, it can be slower than the previous
    generation stuff.

    Multiprocessing comes in two forms. If you are running two tasks,
    one task can run on each core. For people who multitask, that would
    be one benefit of a dual core. You could run DVDshrink on one
    core, and do your email on the other, and your computer could
    keep up with your typing.

    The second kind of processing, happens when the application scales
    with the number of cores. For example, some Photoshop filters
    can run on two cores at the same time. Which cuts the execution time
    in half. Not all the filters are written to use two or more
    cores, so not all operations speed up equally. That factor of
    two, is on top of the estimated scaling in the first paragraph.
    So a 1.86Ghz Core2, is going to be like two 3.35GHz P4 processors
    working on the same Photoshop filter.

    I'd probably shop for an E6600 myself, to get some improvement
    over my old system.

    Paul
    Paul, Apr 11, 2007

  3. The Time Traveler

    Guest

    On 10 Apr, 21:53, The Time Traveler <> wrote:
    > OK, to those of you who are pro's I am sorry about this question. but,
    > here goes anyway. Right now in my office I am running two PC's A Dell P4
    > 2GHs and an HP with a P4 1.3GHs. I am wanting to upgrade my hard ware
    > and I see the Core 2 duo +4600 or what ever running at 1.83 GHs. I
    > understand about having duel processors and the fact that 1 might be
    > working on one thing and the other working on something else. Is this
    > hoe this new Core 2 duo works and if so is the processor speed in GHs
    > about the same as what I'm running in two boxes?
    > I hope someone understands this and can help. I am very fustrated in
    > looking for Motherboards and chips and who's the best and what is faster
    > and so on!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    > Thank You all so much for your time.
    > The Time Traveler

    from what i've been told on [M]IRC, #computers, #computerhelp
    undernet, dalnet. And from what i've googled e.g. x Vs y.

    Well to get to your main point.. Core 2 Duo at x GHz is much faster
    than a P4 at x GHz. The GHz aren't the main indicator anymore.
    Processor architecture seems to be. There is of course a huge price
    increase if you want a core 2 duo.

    So, from what I understand.
    Intel Pentium is old and beaten..
    P4 Northwood Core isn't made anymore.
    the newer
    P4 Prescott Core runs too hot, So cooling it makes a lot of noise..
    It's probably pretty old too.

    processors with 2 cores seems to the next bigger thing..

    Pentium D, runs really really hot.. even more noise! (one version is 2
    prescotts, the other version is 2 cedar mills. But a google result
    suggested that even the latter is really really hot).

    Intel Core Duo - I haven't heard much about.. Maybe the prices are a
    bit high and it's outdone by the core 2 duo.

    Athlon 64 X2 has less power consumption than the Pentium D and is
    faster.
    People seem to be going for it 'cos I tihnk i'ts the 3800+ that is
    going at a good price on newegg.. (it looks like sometimes for each
    kind of they seem to have one at a great deal)

    >From what I remember, Dell's prices on the Athlon 64 X2 weren't

    reasonable though. A friend mentioned this site though it only covers
    UK Dell offers http://www.dmxdimension.com/ . There is of course the
    main Dell site.

    Core 2 Duo beats the Athlon 64 X2. But it's expensive.

    -
    the picture for low power CPUs seems a bit different.. Turion vs
    Centrino
    vs Pentium M . I'm looking into that..
    , Apr 11, 2007