    around tree branches on bright day outdoor shots. Unavoidable for this
    price range? Any thoughts overall?

    Ron
    Ron Joiner, Nov 14, 2004

  2. Ron Joiner

    Will M Guest

    "Ron Joiner" <> wrote in message
    news:GJRld.178587$...
    > I am upgrading from an older Finepix. I have read the reviews at PR's
    > and Steves who seem to rate it higly and am now looking for some real
    > world experiences with this camera. One concern is the purple fringing
    > around tree branches on bright day outdoor shots. Unavoidable for this
    > price range? Any thoughts overall?
    >
    > Ron

    My experience is that Canon compact digicams have this problem the least.
    It's a great camera and will serve you well
    Will M, Nov 15, 2004

  3. Ron Joiner

    Jer Guest

    Ron Joiner wrote:

    > I am upgrading from an older Finepix. I have read the reviews at PR's
    > and Steves who seem to rate it higly and am now looking for some real
    > world experiences with this camera. One concern is the purple fringing
    > around tree branches on bright day outdoor shots. Unavoidable for this
    > price range? Any thoughts overall?
    >
    > Ron

    My sister recently inherited an orphaned A95 and I'm having waaay too
    much fun with it. She, OTOH, is still learning about shutter lag, and
    how half-shutter press avoids it.

    --
    jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
    Jer, Nov 15, 2004
  4. Jer wrote:
    > Ron Joiner wrote:
    >
    >> I am upgrading from an older Finepix. I have read the reviews at PR's
    >> and Steves who seem to rate it higly and am now looking for some real
    >> world experiences with this camera. One concern is the purple fringing
    >> around tree branches on bright day outdoor shots. Unavoidable for this
    >> price range? Any thoughts overall?
    >>
    >> Ron

    > My sister recently inherited an orphaned A95 and I'm having waaay too
    > much fun with it. She, OTOH, is still learning about shutter lag, and
    > how half-shutter press avoids it.

    Er, make that "reduces it significantly" and I'll buy it.

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Nov 15, 2004
  5. Ron Joiner

    Eatmorepies Guest

    "Ron Joiner" <> wrote in message
    > I am upgrading from an older Finepix. I have read the reviews at PR's
    > and Steves who seem to rate it higly and am now looking for some real
    > world experiences with this camera. One concern is the purple fringing
    > around tree branches on bright day outdoor shots. Unavoidable for this
    > price range? Any thoughts overall?

    I read that the G5 had purple fringing problems - but still bought one. You
    have to take pictures of buildings or trees against a very bright background
    and print big enlargments before it becomes a problem. The pluses of the
    Canon compacts are enought to swamp that particular minus.

    John
    Eatmorepies, Nov 15, 2004
  6. Ron Joiner <> wrote in message news:<GJRld.178587$>...
    > I am upgrading from an older Finepix. I have read the reviews at PR's
    > and Steves who seem to rate it higly and am now looking for some real
    > world experiences with this camera. One concern is the purple fringing
    > around tree branches on bright day outdoor shots. Unavoidable for this
    > price range? Any thoughts overall?
    >
    > Ron

    I considered the A95 but went for the Minolta G600 instead. The G600
    is more compact, has 6 megapixels, very little purple fringing, and a
    (hidden) RAW mode.
    The A95, on the other hand, has better image processing, focusing, a
    stronger flash, a swivel LCD and longer battery life.

    The A95 is easy to use and yields "good" results in most conditions.
    The G600 takes much better pictures if used in RAW mode and with good
    lighting.

    Other good RAW shooters in this price range are the Casio EX-P600 and
    the Fuji E550. The E550 is prone to purple fringing, however.

    -Tripurari
    Tripurari Singh, Nov 16, 2004
  7. Ron Joiner

    Jer Guest

    John McWilliams wrote:

    >> My sister recently inherited an orphaned A95 and I'm having waaay too
    >> much fun with it. She, OTOH, is still learning about shutter lag, and
    >> how half-shutter press avoids it.
    >>

    > Er, make that "reduces it significantly" and I'll buy it.

    I perceive little to no shutter lag when one gives any auto stuff a
    split moment to finish it's magic before the final push, even when using
    flash. Admittedly, I'm still transferring from film to digital, and a
    half-pressed shutter is a valuable technique I use often enough it's
    practically a habit. The deal with my sis is if she can't get the hang
    of the A95, I'll give her fair value for the little bugger and she'll
    trod off happily to get something else.

    --
    jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
    Jer, Nov 16, 2004
  8. Tripurari Singh wrote:

    > Ron Joiner <> wrote in message news:<GJRld.178587$>...
    >
    >>I am upgrading from an older Finepix. I have read the reviews at PR's
    >>and Steves who seem to rate it higly and am now looking for some real
    >>world experiences with this camera. One concern is the purple fringing
    >>around tree branches on bright day outdoor shots. Unavoidable for this
    >>price range? Any thoughts overall?
    >>
    >>Ron

    > I considered the A95 but went for the Minolta G600 instead. The G600
    > is more compact, has 6 megapixels, very little purple fringing, and a
    > (hidden) RAW mode.
    > The A95, on the other hand, has better image processing, focusing, a
    > stronger flash, a swivel LCD and longer battery life.
    >
    > The A95 is easy to use and yields "good" results in most conditions.
    > The G600 takes much better pictures if used in RAW mode and with good
    > lighting.
    >
    > Other good RAW shooters in this price range are the Casio EX-P600 and
    > the Fuji E550. The E550 is prone to purple fringing, however.
    >
    > -Tripurari

    Raw would be nice though not high on my list. I'll take a look at the
    G600. Thanks

    Ron
    Rockin Ronnie, Nov 16, 2004