    superior then the "smartest" of your ranks.

    Again, all I ask is that you respect his intelligence and insight.

    -Spork

    Sporky, Dec 3, 2003

  2. Sporky

    Jinkies Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    >Jinkies is a superb linguist. He has mastered the art of
    >communication. If all of you other "people" ,and I use that word
    >lightly, would just sit back and listen to Jinkies you may just learn
    >something. By the way, dont even bother trying to win an argument with
    >him. Simple fact is, YOU CANT.

    This post is particularly odd considering I didn't post it! This is very
    likely some sort of half-assed 'reverse psychology' trolling attempt, but
    taking your post at face value just for kicks, I appreciate that you recognize
    my devotion to furthering my intellect the body of knowledge at my disposal,
    but I disagree with your statement that people should 'sit back' and passively
    soak up everything I have to say. If I challenge people's conventions they
    will react. I know that times occur when engaging in an argument is no longer
    useful to me, but I find that the beginning of most arguments contain relevent
    questions.

    >I know he has passed the A+ exam and it
    >was but a small mental exercise on his part.

    You have no way of knowing whether I passed. I claimed I did pass but I also
    claimed that I found it difficult to pass, so if you are accepting me on my
    word that I passed, why are you not accepting me on my word that I found it
    difficult to pass?

    > His knowledge is far
    >superior then the "smartest" of your ranks.

    What ranks? This is a newsgroup where people who are seeking to pass A+ exams
    come for inspiration and information. There are no ranks, people come and go.

    >Again, all I ask is that you respect his intelligence and insight.

    You may be asking for too much. I don't require the respect of my intelligence
    and insight in order to communicate with people. I respect logical arguments,
    and I respect people who are capable of rejecting logically unsound arguments
    when they become aware of them. The arguments that are more challenging to me
    are those that are mostly valid and cogent but have small logical
    contradictions within them. Blatantly illogical arguments can be too easily
    refuted and offer less of a challenge.

    Jinkies, Dec 3, 2003

  3. Sporky

    Jinkies Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    >Jinkies is a superb linguist. He has mastered the art of
    >communication.

    By the way, the first statement is probably true, the second statement I
    highly doubt. But I was a superb linguist and master of rhetoric before I even
    discovered and embraced critical thinking and the tools of logic. I spent vast
    amounts of energy repeatedly demonstrating the old adage that a little
    knowledge is a dangerous thing.

    Jinkies, Dec 3, 2003
  4. Sporky

    Sporky Guest

    (Jinkies) wrote in message news:<Wluzb.4761$bC.3349@clgrps13>...

    > This post is particularly odd considering I didn't post it! This is very
    > likely some sort of half-assed 'reverse psychology' trolling attempt, but
    > taking your post at face value just for kicks, I appreciate that you recognize
    > my devotion to furthering my intellect the body of knowledge at my disposal,
    > but I disagree with your statement that people should 'sit back' and passively
    > soak up everything I have to say. If I challenge people's conventions they
    > will react. I know that times occur when engaging in an argument is no longer
    > useful to me, but I find that the beginning of most arguments contain relevent
    > questions.

    Correct. It was not you (Jinkies) who posted this masterful piece of
    prose. It was I. As for another trolling attempt, fear not. I compose
    these posts as endearing tributes to your fresh perspectives and
    challenges to claims made by others in the forum. Why should we take
    what people post as "gospel truth" and fear to question it? I rather
    enjoy the the fact that you actually take the time to read the posts
    and bring up points that could ,to the dismay of others, invalidate
    their arguments. It stimulates the thought process and causes some
    people to reevaluate what they may have thought to be true.

    > >I know he has passed the A+ exam and it
    > >was but a small mental exercise on his part.

    > You have no way of knowing whether I passed. I claimed I did pass but I also
    > claimed that I found it difficult to pass, so if you are accepting me on my
    > word that I passed, why are you not accepting me on my word that I found it
    > difficult to pass?

    A perfect example of my previously stated point above. This is true,
    I made a claim with no factual evidence, save his word, to back it up.

    > > His knowledge is far
    > >superior then the "smartest" of your ranks.

    > What ranks? This is a newsgroup where people who are seeking to pass A+ exams
    > come for inspiration and information. There are no ranks, people come and go.

    Ranks: A relative position or degree of value in a graded group

    There are among you "members" of this group who hold varying degrees
    of value. Yourself included, without which there would be little need
    for the group.

    > >Again, all I ask is that you respect his intelligence and insight.

    > You may be asking for too much. I don't require the respect of my intelligence
    > and insight in order to communicate with people. I respect logical arguments,
    > and I respect people who are capable of rejecting logically unsound arguments
    > when they become aware of them. The arguments that are more challenging to me
    > are those that are mostly valid and cogent but have small logical
    > contradictions within them. Blatantly illogical arguments can be too easily
    > refuted and offer less of a challenge.

    Beautifully stated. No further comments needed.

    Keep up the good work.

    -Spork

    Sporky, Dec 4, 2003
  5. Sporky

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    Do you need a bib? Perhaps some kneepads?

    --

    KB - MCNGP #26

    Ken Briscoe, Dec 4, 2003
  6. Sporky

    Jinkies Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    >> What ranks? This is a newsgroup where people who are seeking to pass A+

    exams
    >> come for inspiration and information. There are no ranks, people come and

    go.

    >Ranks: A relative position or degree of value in a graded group
    >
    >There are among you "members" of this group who hold varying degrees
    >of value. Yourself included, without which there would be little need
    >for the group.

    Point taken. I was defensively questioning the context by which you were using
    the term 'ranks'. Upon further defining the context in which you meant to use
    the term, I understand what you meant.

    Jinkies, Dec 5, 2003
  7. Sporky

    Jinkies Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    >It is a sad day when no one trusts even a simple post. What a cynical
    >world.

    It is kind of ironic that neither I nor my detractors were convinced your post
    was sincere. For one thing I've never received such praise for my efforts.
    Manifestations of that kind of verbiage being expressed from one person about
    another is uncommon, except in cults. You and I may be members of a rare
    breed, Sporky.

    >Is it so hard to imagine that across the vastness of the Internet there
    >is no other that could see value in the contributions which Jinkies has
    >made to this forum?

    I really appreciate that anyone at all can see the value in the contributions
    I've made to this forum because there are some pretty impressive luminaries who
    contribute here (Mike Meyes, David Groth, etc). I know that my perspective is
    rare in this world, because I have struggled for every scrap of knowledge I've
    ever obtained. A+ was difficult for me even though I am simultaenously
    tackling far more high-brow subjects which I also find difficult. Ultimately I
    have no way of knowing if I am contributing anything helpful. Usually when a
    bunch of people insist that I am not contributing anything useful I am inclined
    to believe they are engaging in communal reinforcement and appeal to
    popularity, and that makes me think I must be contributing something
    particularly useful and rare. But I can never be sure. Posts like yours
    explicitly validate my contibutions. Unlike those who need many posters giving
    communal reinforcement to know if their contributions are helpful, a single
    post like yours is all I require. Of course I've learned to survive perfectly
    well with no external reinforcement whatsoever but it's always nice to get just
    the right amount. Thanks Sporky!

    Jinkies, Dec 5, 2003
  8. Sporky

    Sporky Guest

    "Kathy" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > idiot = idiotic!!

    Enough cynicism. The uneducated rarely rise above the trifling
    exercise of casting insults. I see now that logic and reason are of
    little value to you and the author of the previous post.

    I offer clear concise arguments as to the validity of Jinkies
    contributions to the group and all I receive in return are insults and
    puerile rhetoric.

    If you were indeed paying attention to the entire thread, which
    obviously is not the case, the point has been made that he does think
    before he posts. His posts are usually designed to encourage critical
    thinking and to question statements which dont hold up to a minimal
    level of logical scrutiny (ie.. invalid arguments).

    Forgive me if I as mistaken as Jinkies knows better than I his motives
    for posting to the group. I hope I have not spoken for him in error.

    -Spork

    Sporky, Dec 6, 2003
  9. Sporky

    Jinkies Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    >If he is so damn smart, then maybe he should think before he posts
    >such criticism against other people in the group!

    What criticism against other people? I've only been receiving criticism from
    you and others for daring to criticize CompTIA's methodology and CompTIA is a
    company while I am a person.

    Jinkies, Dec 6, 2003
  10. Sporky

    Jinkies Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    >If you were indeed paying attention to the entire thread, which
    >obviously is not the case, the point has been made that he does think
    >before he posts. His posts are usually designed to encourage critical
    >thinking and to question statements which dont hold up to a minimal
    >level of logical scrutiny (ie.. invalid arguments).

    True enough, and I welcomed criticism of my criticism of CompTIA, but I didn't
    receive anything remotely critical about my comments, just the same old typical
    ad hominem.

    Jinkies, Dec 6, 2003
  11. Sporky

    Jinkies Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    >If you were indeed paying attention to the entire thread, which
    >obviously is not the case, the point has been made that he does think
    >before he posts. His posts are usually designed to encourage critical
    >thinking and to question statements which dont hold up to a minimal
    >level of logical scrutiny (ie.. invalid arguments).
    >
    >Forgive me if I as mistaken as Jinkies knows better than I his motives
    >for posting to the group. I hope I have not spoken for him in error.

    You are mostly right about my motives, but I also like to play pranks.
    Sometimes I want to prank somebody in my basement all night long, especially
    Stiffly Stiffersons.

    Jinkies, Dec 6, 2003
  12. Sporky

    Jinkies Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    >Jinkies, I am not talking about criticism against CompTIA! This was
    >between you and I over a few of your other posts.... remember, you
    >were also criticizing other people, including me? Now you bring in
    >your self-inflicted reinforcements! Knock it off! Now we are getting
    >double the BS!

    Kathy, I'm not interested in participating in your drama. You'll have to get
    your attention elsewhere.

    Jinkies, Dec 8, 2003
  13. Sporky

    RussS Guest

    Ahhh well Kathy

    I guess the best course of action is to ignore him and he may just go away
    if nobody plays with him ;-)

    RussS, Dec 8, 2003
  14. Amen!

    C. Philip Cutler II, Dec 8, 2003
  15. Sporky

    R.A.D. Guest

    "RussS" <> wrote in message
    > Ahhh well Kathy
    >
    > I guess the best course of action is to ignore him and he may just go away
    > if nobody plays with him ;-)

    Ignore Who:)

    R.A.D., Dec 8, 2003