I admit it, I want one

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Shane, Dec 17, 2006.

  1. Shane

    Shane Guest

    http://www.stuff.co.nz//3902792a28.html

    (I'll paste the whole article, due to stuff being a PITA to get pages from,
    for me, atm)

    It's the hot craze this Christmas, but the new Nintendo console is causing
    a Wii problem with gamers.

    Across the world, videogamers are reporting a range of self-inflicted
    injuries as they play Wii - the low-cost rival to Sony's PlayStation 3 and
    Microsoft's Xbox 360. It features a motion-sensitive controller that allows
    players to simulate sports such as fishing, tennis or even boxing.

    Some over-enthusiastic gamers have even hurled their remote control through
    the TV screen in excitement.

    "(My girlfriend Liz) approached me while I was performing a slashing
    movement. I hit her with full force in her eye. I thought I'd blinded her,"
    one gamer admitted on the WiiHaveAProblem.com website, which has been set
    up to chronicle the dangers of uncontrolled play.

    The American Chiropractic Association has taken the unusual step of warning
    Wii users to warm up by stretching, and to take breaks.

    Christchurch game enthusiast and manager of EB Games, Dan Lagergren, said he
    had sold more Wii in a week than XBox 360s since their launch in March.

    "I myself have almost thrown my remote into the TV. I was playing bowls and
    it just feels so natural to let go. Luckily I had on a wrist strap."

    He said players were warned at the start of each game to make sure there no
    obstacles - or unsuspecting people - in their way.

    ACC said injuries from game consoles were not significant to be recorded
    statistically - yet.
    --
    Alternate Farnsworth: And when you create a parallel universe it's almost
    always populated by evil twins.

    blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org
    Shane, Dec 17, 2006

  2. Shane

    Chris Lim Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > http://www.stuff.co.nz//3902792a28.html
    >
    > (I'll paste the whole article, due to stuff being a PITA to get pages from,
    > for me, atm)
    >
    > It's the hot craze this Christmas, but the new Nintendo console is causing
    > a Wii problem with gamers.
    >
    > Across the world, videogamers are reporting a range of self-inflicted
    > injuries as they play Wii - the low-cost rival to Sony's PlayStation 3 and
    > Microsoft's Xbox 360. It features a motion-sensitive controller that allows
    > players to simulate sports such as fishing, tennis or even boxing.

    Yep, I took my Wii over to a friends' place and his father gave the
    bowling a go. There's now a dent in their wall where the controller
    went flying into it..... I thought things like that only happened on
    the internet....
    Chris Lim, Dec 17, 2006

  3. In message <>, Chris Lim
    wrote:

    > ..... I thought things like that only happened on the internet....

    Welcome to the Internet. :)
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 17, 2006
  4. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Chris Lim wrote:

    > Shane wrote:
    >> http://www.stuff.co.nz//3902792a28.html
    >>
    >> (I'll paste the whole article, due to stuff being a PITA to get pages
    >> from, for me, atm)
    >>
    >> It's the hot craze this Christmas, but the new Nintendo console is
    >> causing
    >> a Wii problem with gamers.
    >>
    >> Across the world, videogamers are reporting a range of self-inflicted
    >> injuries as they play Wii - the low-cost rival to Sony's PlayStation 3
    >> and Microsoft's Xbox 360. It features a motion-sensitive controller that
    >> allows players to simulate sports such as fishing, tennis or even boxing.

    > Yep, I took my Wii over to a friends' place and his father gave the
    > bowling a go. There's now a dent in their wall where the controller
    > went flying into it..... I thought things like that only happened on
    > the internet....

    I see an article this morning that nintendo are replacing the straps on the
    remotes because the original straps keep breaking

    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10415800&ref=rss

    Also on that page is mention of youtube videos showing the damage done by
    flying remotes, and a site showing problems with wii
    wiihaveaproblem.com

    This is the advice from nintendo
    "Give yourself plenty of room"; "Do not use excessive motion"; and "If you
    are having so much fun that you start perspiring, take a moment to dry your
    hands".

    I have to say, my god, when was the last time someone broke out in a sweat
    playing a video game!! (Well not a stress sweat)

    --
    Morbo: Morbo congratulates our gargantuan cyborg president. May death come
    quickly to his enemies!

    blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org
    Shane, Dec 17, 2006
  5. In article <>, blackcap80
    @hotmail.com says...

    > Yep, I took my Wii over to a friends' place and his father gave the
    > bowling a go. There's now a dent in their wall where the controller
    > went flying into it..... I thought things like that only happened on
    > the internet....

    That controller - you never said what happened to it - must be built fairly
    solidly to dent the wall.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Dec 17, 2006
  6. Shane

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > Chris Lim wrote:
    >
    > > Shane wrote:
    > > > http://www.stuff.co.nz//3902792a28.html
    > > >
    > > > (I'll paste the whole article, due to stuff being a PITA to get
    > > > pages from, for me, atm)
    > > >
    > > > It's the hot craze this Christmas, but the new Nintendo console
    > > > is causing
    > > > a Wii problem with gamers.
    > > >
    > > > Across the world, videogamers are reporting a range of
    > > > self-inflicted injuries as they play Wii - the low-cost rival to
    > > > Sony's PlayStation 3 and Microsoft's Xbox 360. It features a
    > > > motion-sensitive controller that allows players to simulate
    > > > sports such as fishing, tennis or even boxing.

    > > Yep, I took my Wii over to a friends' place and his father gave the
    > > bowling a go. There's now a dent in their wall where the controller
    > > went flying into it..... I thought things like that only happened on
    > > the internet....

    > I see an article this morning that nintendo are replacing the straps
    > on the remotes because the original straps keep breaking
    >
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10415800&ref=rss
    >
    > Also on that page is mention of youtube videos showing the damage
    > done by flying remotes, and a site showing problems with wii
    > wiihaveaproblem.com
    >
    > This is the advice from nintendo
    > "Give yourself plenty of room"; "Do not use excessive motion"; and
    > "If you are having so much fun that you start perspiring, take a
    > moment to dry your hands".
    >
    > I have to say, my god, when was the last time someone broke out in a
    > sweat playing a video game!! (Well not a stress sweat)

    Exactly! IMO it should be the console of choice for parents considering
    buying a console for their children. Exercise *and* play video games at the
    same time!
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Dec 17, 2006
  7. Shane

    Chris Lim Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > That controller - you never said what happened to it - must be built fairly
    > solidly to dent the wall.

    Yeah it's still working.... for now!
    Chris Lim, Dec 17, 2006
  8. Shane

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <4585d586$>,
    "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    >Exactly! IMO it should be the console of choice for parents considering
    >buying a console for their children. Exercise *and* play video games at the
    >same time!

    One of the factors that influenced our buying a Sony PS2 a while back was
    the Eye Toy (USB camera). There are a series of game discs available which
    involve medium to vigorous physical exercise. Just the thing for keeping the
    kids occupied and exercised on days when it's too wet or windy to play
    outside.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
    Don Hills, Dec 18, 2006
  9. In message <em2pbt$rpg$>, Shane wrote:

    > It's the hot craze this Christmas, but the new Nintendo console is
    > causing a Wii problem with gamers.

    Interesting, isn't it. With all the sound and fury over the delays and
    problems with the XBox 360 and PlayStation 3, Nintendo has managed to slip
    in under the radar with a much less technologically ambitious, yet no less
    fun to play, alternative.

    The other thing with the Wii is that they can actually make a profit from
    it. Whereas there's a question mark over both the XBox and PS3 on this
    front.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 18, 2006
  10. Shane

    Daniel Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > The other thing with the Wii is that they can actually make a profit from
    > it. Whereas there's a question mark over both the XBox and PS3 on this
    > front.

    The original Xbox console lost Microsoft a bucket load of money (still loses money AFAICT).

    The 360 is a very different beast manufacturing cost-wise. Ironically, it's a lot closer to the PS2
    in that respect. Current production cost-analysis speculation (I can't remember the link - but, I'm
    sure Google can help), is that 360's are actually being manufactured for less than they retail now,
    and the cost is expected to decrease more as time moves on - much like the PS2.
    Not saying that the 360 is actually making money hardware-wise at the moment, but I wouldn't be
    surprised if it starts doing so in the near future. Of course this depends on Microsoft, and how
    much they're willing to drop the price following Christmas.

    Interestingly AFAIK, unlike Microsoft and the 360, Sony does not own all the IP for the components
    used in the PS3 - I think NVIDIA's RSX GPU fits into this category. After getting pinged by Intel
    and NVIDIA in the original Xbox, Microsoft learned their lesson in that regard. Which is why you
    won't be seeing an x86 CPU in a console again anytime soon (AMD and Intel don't like sharing their
    little secrets - unless you pay through the nose of course).
    Daniel, Dec 18, 2006
  11. Shane

    k Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > I see an article this morning that nintendo are replacing the straps on the
    > remotes because the original straps keep breaking

    The straps we got on our NZ consoles are the new straps so we don't need
    to worry about swapping them like the poor yanks do..
    k, Dec 18, 2006
  12. Shane

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-12-17, Chris Lim <> wrote:
    > Peter Huebner wrote:
    >> That controller - you never said what happened to it - must be built fairly
    >> solidly to dent the wall.

    > Yeah it's still working....

    not an apple product then :)

    Bye.