I actually bought something new

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by philo, Jul 29, 2010.

  1. philo

    philo Guest

    Yes

    we do have one decent, photo-quality printer

    but for most printing we've been using "hand-me down" printers for text.

    Letters and crossword puzzles mostly

    After five years of dealing with old junk printers and very expensive
    ink-jet cartridges...I bit the bullet and actually purchased a low
    priced laser printer.

    As usual I did not fully read the specs and when I got it
    I saw that it has *networking* capabilities!

    Once I confirmed I could use it with all computers in the house (Both
    Windows and Linux)

    I got rid of the clutter and tossed all the old clunkers
    in the recycle bin.

    The new printer, which included the toner cartridge
    ( supposedly good for up to 5000 prints) only cost the price of three or
    four ink jet cartridges!

    Buying new can be cheaper and better

    There, I've now done my part to support the economy

    (or at least the economy of Korea or where-ever-the-hell it was made)

    sheesh

    I don't even feel sick
    philo, Jul 29, 2010

  2. philo

    thanatoid Guest

    philo <> wrote in

    > Yes
    >
    > we do have one decent, photo-quality printer
    >
    > but for most printing we've been using "hand-me down"
    > printers for text.
    >
    > Letters and crossword puzzles mostly
    >
    > After five years of dealing with old junk printers and very
    > expensive ink-jet cartridges...I bit the bullet and
    > actually purchased a low priced laser printer.
    >
    > As usual I did not fully read the specs and when I got it
    > I saw that it has *networking* capabilities!
    >
    > Once I confirmed I could use it with all computers in the
    > house (Both Windows and Linux)
    >
    > I got rid of the clutter and tossed all the old clunkers
    > in the recycle bin.
    >
    > The new printer, which included the toner cartridge
    > ( supposedly good for up to 5000 prints) only cost the
    > price of three or four ink jet cartridges!

    Are you SURE that's 5,000, not 500? ["As usual I did not fully
    read the specs."]

    It USED to be that a laser cartridge would last 5,000 pages...
    My first one lasted EIGHT years (I don't print much).

    All the cheap lasers I have seen in the last few years come with
    a 500-1,500 page "starter cartridge" (this animal did NOT exist
    15 years ago) and a FULL cartidge (the capacity of most seems to
    have mysteriously decreased from 5K to about 3K pages !!!) will
    cost you the same or more as the printer did.

    It seems that once the fucking manuf's realized people were
    (after only 15 years) getting wise to the inkjet cartridge scam,
    they retaliated by fucking up the biggest advantage of laser
    printers...

    We can't win...

    > Buying new can be cheaper and better

    USED to be...

    > There, I've now done my part to support the economy

    > (or at least the economy of Korea or where-ever-the-hell it
    > was made)

    China.

    > sheesh
    >
    > I don't even feel sick

    You will in three to five weeks - depending on how much you
    print...

    --
    You know, that viruses never really sleep
    And that hackers never blink their eyes
    thanatoid, Jul 29, 2010

  3. philo

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 07:12:54 -0500, philo wrote:

    > On 07/29/2010 02:42 AM, thanatoid wrote:
    >> philo<> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Yes
    >>>
    >>> we do have one decent, photo-quality printer
    >>>
    >>> but for most printing we've been using "hand-me down" printers for
    >>> text.
    >>>
    >>> Letters and crossword puzzles mostly
    >>>
    >>> After five years of dealing with old junk printers and very expensive
    >>> ink-jet cartridges...I bit the bullet and actually purchased a low
    >>> priced laser printer.
    >>>
    >>> As usual I did not fully read the specs and when I got it I saw that
    >>> it has *networking* capabilities!
    >>>
    >>> Once I confirmed I could use it with all computers in the house (Both
    >>> Windows and Linux)
    >>>
    >>> I got rid of the clutter and tossed all the old clunkers in the
    >>> recycle bin.
    >>>
    >>> The new printer, which included the toner cartridge ( supposedly good
    >>> for up to 5000 prints) only cost the price of three or four ink jet
    >>> cartridges!

    >> Are you SURE that's 5,000, not 500? ["As usual I did not fully read the
    >> specs."]

    > Yes
    >
    > they actually had one even cheaper than the one I bought but it said it
    > was good for 1500 pages
    >

    > since I have it set to the "ink saver" mode I very well may get that
    > many pages
    >
    > since it's used mostly for crossword puzzles we should hopefully be OK
    > for a few years

    So was the whole printer the price of 3 or 4 ink carts or just the toner?
    Meat Plow, Jul 29, 2010
  4. philo

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 07:21:56 -0500, philo wrote:

    > On 07/29/2010 07:15 AM, Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> Yes
    >>>
    >>> they actually had one even cheaper than the one I bought but it said
    >>> it was good for 1500 pages
    >>>

    >>> since I have it set to the "ink saver" mode I very well may get that
    >>> many pages
    >>>
    >>> since it's used mostly for crossword puzzles we should hopefully be OK
    >>> for a few years

    >> So was the whole printer the price of 3 or 4 ink carts or just the
    >> toner?

    > The printer came with the toner and was 120 USD total
    >
    > since ink jet cartridges cost 30 USD (or more) it was pretty easy to
    > justify...
    >
    > NewEgg only wanted $1.99 for shipping
    >
    > kind of hard to resist
    >
    > even if they had the same printer locally at the same price the $1.99
    > was less than the gas I would have spent getting there

    $1.99 to ship a laser printer? You live next door to the Newegg
    warehouse? They must have been running a promo on that item.

    I've been using a Brother 5040 since 2004. Replaced the toner back in
    2008 because the low toner light was blinking. I could pull the toner
    from the drum and shake it and get a few dozen more prints before it
    would blink again so I replaced it. Around 30 bucks for a toner. I
    suppose the drum has close to 3000 pages on it, no way to know for sure
    since the self test settings page doesn't show it. It's set to 600 dpi
    medium contrast and toner saver is off. I rarely need a color print but
    have an HP DJ-5850 wireless for that. I use it so infrequently I have to
    remove the color cartridge and clean it by hand or the blue ink doesn't
    show :) Friggin cart set for that printer is $66. And those carts have
    chips that count prints. And they shut the cart down at a predefined
    number even if there is still usable ink inside :(
    Meat Plow, Jul 29, 2010
  5. philo

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 08:03:41 -0500, philo wrote:

    > <snip>
    >

    >>> The printer came with the toner and was 120 USD total
    >>>
    >>> since ink jet cartridges cost 30 USD (or more) it was pretty easy to
    >>> justify...
    >>>
    >>> NewEgg only wanted $1.99 for shipping
    >>>
    >>> kind of hard to resist
    >>>
    >>> even if they had the same printer locally at the same price the $1.99
    >>> was less than the gas I would have spent getting there

    >> $1.99 to ship a laser printer? You live next door to the Newegg
    >> warehouse? They must have been running a promo on that item.

    > Yes
    >
    > they were running a promo I guess
    >>
    >> I've been using a Brother 5040 since 2004. Replaced the toner back in
    >> 2008 because the low toner light was blinking. I could pull the toner
    >> from the drum and shake it and get a few dozen more prints before it
    >> would blink again so I replaced it. Around 30 bucks for a toner. I
    >> suppose the drum has close to 3000 pages on it, no way to know for sure
    >> since the self test settings page doesn't show it. It's set to 600 dpi
    >> medium contrast and toner saver is off. I rarely need a color print but
    >> have an HP DJ-5850 wireless for that. I use it so infrequently I have
    >> to remove the color cartridge and clean it by hand or the blue ink
    >> doesn't show :) Friggin cart set for that printer is $66. And those
    >> carts have chips that count prints. And they shut the cart down at a
    >> predefined number even if there is still usable ink inside :(

    > This printer is B&W only
    >
    > I have no need for a laser , color printer

    Quote: "The printer came with the toner and was 120 USD total"

    If you purchased a printer with a 'toner' it's a laser printer; Or some
    new kind of printer I've not heard of.
    Meat Plow, Jul 29, 2010
  6. philo

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 08:12:46 -0500, philo wrote:

    > On 07/29/2010 08:06 AM, Meat Plow wrote:
    >> On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 08:03:41 -0500, philo wrote:
    >>
    >>> <snip>

    >>> Yes
    >>>
    >>> they were running a promo I guess

    >>> This printer is B&W only
    >>>
    >>> I have no need for a laser , color printer

    >> Quote: "The printer came with the toner and was 120 USD total"
    >>
    >> If you purchased a printer with a 'toner' it's a laser printer; Or some
    >> new kind of printer I've not heard of.

    > It's a laster printer
    >
    > don't see where I said it was anything different
    >

    > I specifically said I did not need a *color* laser printer
    >
    > that would have been more expensive and I don't need color

    You said "I have no need for a laser, color printer."
    This meant to me that you have no need for a laser or color printer.
    I don't mean to be a news group grammar-nanny but your reply was
    confusing. I would have put it:

    I have no need for a color laser printer.

    Besides that, almost any home user has no need for a color laser printer
    so that was a no-brain'r.
    Meat Plow, Jul 29, 2010
  7. philo

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 7/29/2010 8:32 AM Just to please that super-ego, Meat Plow wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 08:12:46 -0500, philo wrote:

    >>> Quote: "The printer came with the toner and was 120 USD total"
    >>>
    >>> If you purchased a printer with a 'toner' it's a laser printer; Or some
    >>> new kind of printer I've not heard of.

    >> It's a laster printer
    >>
    >> don't see where I said it was anything different
    >>

    >> I specifically said I did not need a *color* laser printer
    >>
    >> that would have been more expensive and I don't need color

    > You said "I have no need for a laser, color printer."
    > This meant to me that you have no need for a laser or color printer.
    > I don't mean to be a news group grammar-nanny but your reply was
    > confusing. I would have put it:
    >
    > I have no need for a color laser printer.
    >
    > Besides that, almost any home user has no need for a color laser printer
    > so that was a no-brain'r.

    I have no use for a laser B&W only printer but I do have use for a laser
    color printer. Got one cheap?

    --
    OldGringo38
    Just West Of Nowhere
    OldGringo38, Jul 29, 2010
  8. philo

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 7/29/2010 8:36 AM Just to please that super-ego, philo wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > On 07/29/2010 08:32 AM, Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> It's a laster printer
    >>>
    >>> don't see where I said it was anything different
    >>>

    >>> I specifically said I did not need a *color* laser printer
    >>>
    >>> that would have been more expensive and I don't need color

    >> You said "I have no need for a laser, color printer."
    >> This meant to me that you have no need for a laser or color printer.
    >> I don't mean to be a news group grammar-nanny but your reply was
    >> confusing. I would have put it:
    >>
    >> I have no need for a color laser printer.
    >>
    >> Besides that, almost any home user has no need for a color laser printer
    >> so that was a no-brain'r.
    >>

    > Actually the way you put it was more clear.
    >
    > anyway
    >
    > I never thought I'd be getting a laser printer to do my crossword puzzles
    >
    > but heck it's not a bad thing to do

    My old age and stupidity are starting to show as I understood exactly
    what you meant :)

    OldGringo38, Jul 29, 2010
  9. philo

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 08:36:33 -0500, philo wrote:

    > On 07/29/2010 08:32 AM, Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> It's a laster printer
    >>>
    >>> don't see where I said it was anything different
    >>>

    >>> I specifically said I did not need a *color* laser printer
    >>>
    >>> that would have been more expensive and I don't need color

    >> You said "I have no need for a laser, color printer." This meant to me
    >> that you have no need for a laser or color printer. I don't mean to be
    >> a news group grammar-nanny but your reply was confusing. I would have
    >> put it:
    >>
    >> I have no need for a color laser printer.
    >>
    >> Besides that, almost any home user has no need for a color laser
    >> printer so that was a no-brain'r.
    >>

    > Actually the way you put it was more clear.
    >
    > anyway
    >
    > I never thought I'd be getting a laser printer to do my crossword
    > puzzles
    >
    > but heck it's not a bad thing to do

    I like my Brother. Sleep mode after 5 minutes, 5 second warmup on print
    demand. PCL-5 and ghostscript support in CUPS (common unix printing
    system) for linux. 8MB internal RAM. Cant beat that for the price.
    Actually half the price of a similar HP laser. Probably uses the same
    print engine too. And the speed blows away any inkjet. Prints a full
    8.5x11 in under 2 seconds regardless of the content.
    Meat Plow, Jul 29, 2010
  10. philo

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 08:44:36 -0500, philo wrote:

    > n'r.
    >>>>

    >>> Actually the way you put it was more clear.
    >>>
    >>> anyway
    >>>
    >>> I never thought I'd be getting a laser printer to do my crossword
    >>> puzzles
    >>>
    >>> but heck it's not a bad thing to do

    >> My old age and stupidity are starting to show as I understood exactly
    >> what you meant :)
    >>

    > Once in a while I even understand my own thoughts!

    LOL you two!
    Meat Plow, Jul 29, 2010
  11. philo

    thanatoid Guest

    philo <> wrote in

    > On 07/29/2010 02:42 AM, thanatoid wrote:
    >> philo<> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    >>> After five years of dealing with old junk printers and
    >>> very expensive ink-jet cartridges...I bit the bullet and
    >>> actually purchased a low priced laser printer.

    <SNIP>
    >> Are you SURE that's 5,000, not 500? ["As usual I did not
    >> fully read the specs."]

    > Yes
    >
    > they actually had one even cheaper than the one I bought
    > but it said it was good for 1500 pages

    <SNIP>

    > The Linux installation is actually a *lot* faster and
    > easier than the Windows installation

    Why are you surprised? I STILL have to reinstall my HP LJ6
    software just about every time I want to print something (every
    month or 2).

    If you are willing to indulge me, WHAT is the exact model # of
    this marvel? I'll be honest - I just can NOT believe what you
    are saying, I want to find it on the web. PLEASE don't be
    offended.
    thanatoid, Aug 1, 2010