    take advantage of that technology will run faster.

    But are there any downsides or performance hits to turning it on?

    Cleburne
    Patrick Cleburne, Apr 22, 2005

  2. Patrick Cleburne

    doS Guest

    depends on what you do on your pc, edit video etc, leave it on,anything
    else, leave it on.

    doS, Apr 22, 2005

  3. doS wrote:

    > depends on what you do on your pc, edit video etc, leave it on,anything
    > else, leave it on.

    Sounds pretty all-inclusive.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, Apr 22, 2005
  4. Patrick Cleburne

    doS Guest

    It is, I mean, that was the kicker to buy the cpu in the first place.

    doS, Apr 22, 2005
  5. Patrick Cleburne

    WormWood Guest

    Damn, you're good, doS :))

    WormWood, Apr 22, 2005
  6. "doS" <> wrote in message

    > "Patrick Cleburne" <reb@_rebyell.xcom> wrote in message
    >> The hyperthreading setting is off by default on my new computer. I
    >> understand that if I turn it on, certain programs that have been designed

    >> take advantage of that technology will run faster.
    >>
    >> But are there any downsides or performance hits to turning it on?
    >>
    >> Cleburne

    > depends on what you do on your pc, edit video etc, leave it on,anything
    > else, leave it on.

    I'm not sure what you're saying here...

    Cleburne
    Patrick Cleburne, Apr 22, 2005
  7. Patrick Cleburne

    Dave Lear Guest

    "Patrick Cleburne" wrote in message

    > The hyperthreading setting is off by default on my new computer.
    > I understand that if I turn it on, certain programs that have been
    > designed to take advantage of that technology will run faster.

    Indeed they will. If you want a more quantative analysis than that download
    yourself a copy of 3D Mark 05...
    http://www.futuremark.com/download/?3dmark05.shtml

    Run a full benchmark with HyperThreading OFF
    Run a full benchmark with HyperThreading ON

    I got around 10% overall increase with HyperThreading ON.

    Basically, if you use an O/S that understands multiple processors (e.g.
    WinXP Pro) then a P4 HT is seen as two processors.

    > But are there any downsides or performance hits to turning it on?

    Not that I've seen, no.
    Dave Lear, Apr 22, 2005
  8. Patrick Cleburne

    doS Guest

    aw shucks........

    doS, Apr 22, 2005
  9. Patrick Cleburne

    doS Guest

    doS, Apr 22, 2005
  10. Patrick Cleburne

    odielag

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Are you sure?

    I couldn't post a link, Forum fail.

    If you google: When hyperthreading is enabled, all the processors are virtual

    the third link with msdn in the address Disagrees with this whole thread.
    odielag, Jan 18, 2011