    if yes, how can I do this?????

    Thx

    , Jun 15, 2005

  2. Miguel Cruz Guest

    <> wrote:
    > I'd like to know if is possible to connect into an other computer
    > dialing from hyperterminal but using skype or similar something over ip
    > protocols

    Why? What are you actually trying to achieve?

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, Jun 15, 2005

  3. wrote:

    > Hello, everyone.
    > I'd like to know if is possible to connect into an other computer
    > dialing from hyperterminal but using skype or similar something over ip
    > protocols

    > if yes, how can I do this?????

    > Thx

    PCAnywhere software by Symantec will do just fine. Has nothing to do with
    Skype or HyperTerminal though, don't worry about those. If you already
    have an IP connection to that box, you can try another desktop sharing
    software, such as RealVNC. Or PCAnywhere again or Win XP internal feature.
    Number of possibilities, none are even remotely VoIP-related.

    Cheers!
    Dmitriy
    http://www.telecom-gear.com
    -------------------------------------

    Delivered via http://www.telecom-gear.com
    http://www.telecom-gear.com

    telecom-gear.com, Jun 15, 2005
  4. Guest

    Miguel Cruz escreveu:
    > <> wrote:
    > > I'd like to know if is possible to connect into an other computer
    > > dialing from hyperterminal but using skype or similar something over ip
    > > protocols

    > Why? What are you actually trying to achieve?
    >
    > miguel
    > --
    > Hit The Road! Photos from 36 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
    > Latest photos: Queens Day in Amsterdam; the Grand Canyon; Amman, Jordan

    I have to collect some data from a simple computer in different places,
    those computers just has a modem and a ms-dos with kernit protocol.
    That I use it to see the datas online and download this also.

    I'm trying to connect the hyperterminal over SKYPE, or other "over IP"
    connection

    this would decrease the telephone bills.
    since this to run, I have to call by my modem with a line phone

    thx

    , Jun 16, 2005
  5. Miguel Cruz Guest

    <> wrote:
    > Miguel Cruz escreveu:
    >> <> wrote:
    >>> I'd like to know if is possible to connect into an other computer
    >>> dialing from hyperterminal but using skype or similar something over ip
    >>> protocols

    >> Why? What are you actually trying to achieve?

    > I have to collect some data from a simple computer in different places,
    > those computers just has a modem and a ms-dos with kernit protocol.
    > That I use it to see the datas online and download this also.
    >
    > I'm trying to connect the hyperterminal over SKYPE, or other "over IP"
    > connection

    I am very confused. Do you have a separate IP connection to these computers,
    or is the only link via dialup modems?

    If the only link was via dialup modems, why would you save anything by using
    Skype?

    On the other hand, if you also have some other IP connection, why not just
    send the data over that connection? That's the easiest of all.

    Either way, Skype (or any kind of voip) is not your answer. It would just
    add another layer of complexity (so much so that it probably would not even
    work) and inefficiency.

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, Jun 16, 2005
  6. Bill Kearney Guest

    > I have to collect some data from a simple computer in different places,
    > those computers just has a modem and a ms-dos with kernit protocol.
    > That I use it to see the datas online and download this also.
    >
    > I'm trying to connect the hyperterminal over SKYPE, or other "over IP"
    > connection
    >
    > this would decrease the telephone bills.
    > since this to run, I have to call by my modem with a line phone

    No, this will not work. If all the computers have is a modem, and all
    they're running is DOS then you don't have many alternatives.

    You could, perhaps, switch things around a bit and have the computers
    call in instead of calling them. This would let you use an 800 or other
    toll-free service to at least consolidate the billing. But you'd have
    to add software to them to make it work.

    Likewise, if you're adding software to them you could, conceivably, have
    them make a PPP connection to an IP network (local call to a local ISP)
    and use that link. But that would also require adding software to the
    machines.

    Skype won't help as it doesn't use modems. Nor would VoIP. Using
    something like VNC or pcAnywhere won't work either as you can't use them
    on DOS. Even if you could it would eliminate the phone calls. As for
    Hyperterminal, that's an even more bizarre suggestion that has no chance
    of working. Skype is not a phone connection in the sense that a modem
    could use it.

    So it entirely depends on what you've got on the DOS machines and what
    you can add to them.

    Bill Kearney, Jun 16, 2005
  7. Guest

    I 've used skype because I know you can call it using skypeOut.
    I thought was possible to connect with it.
    That I do not see any problem except make a terminal call it.

    My Idea was,
    HYPERTERMINAL ---------- SKYPEOUT ---------- Controling Computer with
    line.

    Understood.?

    , Jun 16, 2005
  8. Miguel Cruz Guest

    <> wrote:
    > I 've used skype because I know you can call it using skypeOut.
    > I thought was possible to connect with it.
    > That I do not see any problem except make a terminal call it.
    >
    > My Idea was,
    > HYPERTERMINAL ---------- SKYPEOUT ---------- Controling Computer with
    > line.
    >
    > Understood.?

    Maybe I understand now - it makes more sense now that you've introduced
    Skypeout into your explanation. Correct me if I'm wrong: You want to use
    Hyperterminal on your own computer to make a connection to a remote modem on
    a DOS machine, and for some reason you want to use Skypeout on your computer
    as the underlying transport.

    I really don't think it will work. The compression used by Skype surely
    plays havoc with modem signals.

    Also, Skype is a closed system which makes it difficult (and often
    impossible) to interface with arbitrary hardware and software.

    Skype isn't particularly cheap, either - the main thing it has going for it
    is that it's very easy to set up.

    Where are you and the remote computers located (i.e., which countries)? That
    would help people in providing alternate solution ideas.

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, Jun 16, 2005
  9. Guest

    I'm in Brazil and I have those "Terminal's computers" in many places,
    such as in chile, argentina.

    I'm thinking in 2 solutions.

    1-
    As you gave the idea, I can set it to connect in a local ISP then,
    connect it in my computer by IP, I could schedule it.

    2-
    Or, if some one know another program as SkypeOut.
    I'm hearing too much about FOIP (Fax over IP) but I've didn't
    see any program. To connect it from internet to local phone

    ------------- Internet ------------ Telephone Line
    ---------------
    MY PC -----------------> ISP ----------------------->
    Terminal
    ------------- ------------
    ---------------

    if anyone knows an ISP that redirect a call, would be great

    Thanks once again

    , Jun 16, 2005
  10. Bill Kearney Guest

    wrote:
    > I 've used skype because I know you can call it using skypeOut.
    > I thought was possible to connect with it.
    > That I do not see any problem except make a terminal call it.
    >
    > My Idea was,
    > HYPERTERMINAL ---------- SKYPEOUT ---------- Controling Computer with
    > line.
    >
    > Understood.?

    A modem connection uses an entirely different set of codecs to handle
    the digital to analog signal conversions. That and the skypeout service
    only "listens" to incoming voice traffic for routing the connections.
    Skypeout isn't cheap either. So essentially Skype won't work.

    Bill Kearney, Jun 17, 2005
  11. Guest

    Maybe I can help you with a free dial-up account in Argentina, if you
    are interested in this Felipe please tell me in which city you need to
    dial in and will find that for you.

    , Jun 19, 2005
  12. Guest

    Thats nice.
    I'm thinking about this, but I don't know if the program is able to
    connect it at scheduled time. I'm trying some tests.
    If I get this connecting by it self and sending its ip for me, thats
    everything.
    I'll be able to do all that I Want.

    And other issues,
    those computers is in some factories.
    and the telephone line belongs to them ;)
    so maybe they would not allow that kind of connection.

    but if is okay, i'll contact you.
    Thanks very much

    , Jun 22, 2005