    Anyone experience this and 1) Have a work-around or 2) Know of a software
    replacement for Hyperterm that works?

    TIA
    S. Gione, Jan 5, 2006

  2. "S. Gione" <> writes:
    >The thread on "USB serial port" reminded me of a problem to which I have
    >been searching for an answer: Is there an alternative to using that
    >"wonderful" Microsoft Hyperterm?

    Tons of options.

    >Problem: Hyperterm doesn't seem to work properly (for me) on console
    >connections when using Windows XP. When text scrolls (up) out of the
    >"active window", it gets scrambled.

    >I thought it was because I was forced to use one of those USB/Serial dongles
    >since laptops don't seem to come with serial ports (DB9) any more. However,
    >at a client site, I noticed that an XP desktop with a genuine serial port
    >was having the same problem.

    Nope, once the data is into the computer, how would it get scrambled
    if not for the app doing it?

    >Anyone experience this and 1) Have a work-around or 2) Know of a software
    >replacement for Hyperterm that works?

    My favorite on Windows is SecureCRT. It can do ssh and serial both. It
    costs some $$ though. But it just works, and it does it quite well.
    Doug McIntyre, Jan 5, 2006

  3. In article <HUdvf.12166$>, "S. Gione" <> wrote:
    >The thread on "USB serial port" reminded me of a problem to which I have
    >been searching for an answer: Is there an alternative to using that
    >"wonderful" Microsoft Hyperterm?
    >
    >Problem: Hyperterm doesn't seem to work properly (for me) on console
    >connections when using Windows XP. When text scrolls (up) out of the
    >"active window", it gets scrambled.
    >
    >I thought it was because I was forced to use one of those USB/Serial dongles
    >since laptops don't seem to come with serial ports (DB9) any more. However,
    >at a client site, I noticed that an XP desktop with a genuine serial port
    >was having the same problem.
    >
    >Anyone experience this and 1) Have a work-around or 2) Know of a software
    >replacement for Hyperterm that works?
    >
    >TIA

    I had the same problem for a while. I don't remember exactly how I fixed it.
    (I consider myself lucky if I can remember if I had breakfast this morning!) I
    think I downloaded the latest Hyperterminal Personal Edition and that fixed
    the scrambling issue.

    Gordon Montgomery
    Living Scriptures, Inc
    (anti spam - replace lsi with livingscriptures)
    (801) 627-2000
    Gordon Montgomery, Jan 5, 2006
  4. S. Gione

    Wil Guest

    Tera Term, it hasn't been updated in quite some time but seems to work
    well every time.

    Wil
    my 3¢
    Wil, Jan 5, 2006
  5. www.networking-forum.com, Jan 5, 2006
  6. S. Gione

    J Guest

    I strongly second the motion for SecureCRT. I've been using it for
    years and love it. It's under active development too. Starting with
    v5.0 you can have tabbed terminal windows (like in Firefox or Mozilla).
    I organize my connection entries by folders named by customer. It's
    been a real life saver. It cost me $99 the first time and a lesser
    upgrade fee a coupel years later. The upgrades are free for minor
    releases (a couple years' worth of upgrades basically) and discounted
    for major releases (every couple of years). IIRC you get one year free
    of everything for sure. You can also use PuTTY. It's many times
    better than Hyperterminal, though not as good as SecureCRT IMHO.

    J, Jan 6, 2006
  7. S. Gione

    S. Gione Guest

    Thanks: Hyperterm alternate?

    Thanks, guys.

    TeraTerm seems to have solved my problem ... just a simple program to allow
    me to get into a router, firewall, switch, etc.

    ....clip... >

    S. Gione, Jan 6, 2006
  8. Actually, TeraTerm is actively being worked on. The last release by this
    fellow is version 4.25. There is an English and a Japanese version.

    http://sourceforge.jp/projects/ttssh2/

    or

    http://sleep.mat-yan.jp/~yutaka/windows/

    There is a forum, and the authors are willing to work with you if you want
    features to appear in the next version.

    Derick Winkworth, Jan 6, 2006
  9. S. Gione

    Wil Guest

    Wil, Jan 6, 2006
  10. S. Gione

    theapplebee

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2009
    Messages:
    67
    Location:
    USA
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
    theapplebee, Oct 31, 2009
  11. S. Gione

    notageek1212

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Hi guys,
    I just came across a terminal called "ClearTerminal".It's free and could be downloaded from http://www.clearconnex.com/content/clearterminal
    and it has the following features:- X-Modem- Large Logging buffer- Command History- Timestamps- Custom color schemes- Hex and mixed Hex/ASCII display option- Copy/Paste- Search- Save configuration settings to file
    notageek1212, Sep 26, 2011