    I have a 3Ghz Dell, shipped with XP and Hyper threading switched on...

    Is it worthwhile keeping hyperthreading on? Are there any applications that
    use hyper threading yet?

    JedMeister, Oct 30, 2003

  2. JedMeister

    Lennier Guest

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 03:04:49 +1300, JedMeister wrote:

    > Is it worthwhile keeping hyperthreading on? Are there any applications
    > that use hyper threading yet?

    It is worthwhile keeping hyperthreading on - provided, of course, your OS
    is HT savvy.

    Lennier

    Lennier, Oct 30, 2003

  3. JedMeister wrote:
    > I have a 3Ghz Dell, shipped with XP and Hyper threading switched on...
    >
    > Is it worthwhile keeping hyperthreading on? Are there any
    > applications that use hyper threading yet?

    All applications that use more than one thread will "use" hyperthreading -
    usually applications won't use more than one thread, as running two threads
    simultaneously doesn't normally offer a speed boost. The system doesn't have
    to do anything special to be able to use hyperthreading.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Oct 30, 2003
  4. JedMeister

    T.N.O. Guest

    JedMeister wrote:

    > I have a 3Ghz Dell, shipped with XP and Hyper threading switched on...
    >
    > Is it worthwhile keeping hyperthreading on? Are there any applications that
    > use hyper threading yet?

    a few, but it also slows down a few things too... no great gain, no
    great loss... all in all, if I had it, I'd leave it on, but yeah, no
    real reason.

    T.N.O., Oct 30, 2003
  5. JedMeister

    T.N.O. Guest

    Lennier wrote:

    > On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 03:04:49 +1300, JedMeister wrote:
    >

    >>Is it worthwhile keeping hyperthreading on? Are there any applications
    >>that use hyper threading yet?

    > It is worthwhile keeping hyperthreading on - provided, of course, your OS
    > is HT savvy.

    2k and up, and all Linux AFAIK

    T.N.O., Oct 30, 2003
  6. JedMeister

    Malcolm Guest

    wrote:

    > I have a 3Ghz Dell, shipped with XP and Hyper threading switched on...
    >
    > Is it worthwhile keeping hyperthreading on? Are there any applications
    > that
    > use hyper threading yet?

    Hi
    I run an 2.60cGHz cpu, RedHat 9.0 with the smp kernel and hyperthreading
    on, effectivly giving you 2 x CPU's to share the load (cpu0 and cpu1).

    I would assume on XP if you look at the task manager you would also see a
    cpu0 and cpu1?

    I use this machine for seti crunching (this will interest ~misfit~) with
    the following results;

    wine and 1 x seti client 2.5hrs/wu (9.6 per day)
    wine and 2 x seti clients 3.5hrs/wu (13.7 per day)

    So for me I see about a 30 odd % increase in performance.

    You may also wish to check here:
    http://www.intel.com/support/platform/ht/os.htm?iid=ipp_htm os&

    Cheers Malcolm

    Malcolm, Oct 30, 2003
  7. JedMeister

    T.N.O. Guest

    Re: Hyper threading - is it any good? Yes good for Cross stitch.

    Nick Smith wrote:
    >> Hyper threading - is it any good?

    > Yes good for Cross stitch.

    heh... yeah, I have heard that.

    T.N.O., Oct 30, 2003
  8. JedMeister

    Invisible Guest

    Re: Hyper threading - is it any good?_ Yes if you Knite.

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 11:15:44 +1300, Nick Smith

    WTF is Knite?

    Invisible, Oct 30, 2003
  9. JedMeister

    T.N.O. Guest

    Invisible wrote:
    > WTF is Knite?

    he meant knit... it still doesnt make sense, but is a word.

    T.N.O., Oct 30, 2003
  10. JedMeister

    T.N.O. Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:

    >> WTF is Knite?

    > he meant knit... it still doesnt make sense, but is a word.

    The reason I say it is "knit" is that he said "Yes good for Cross
    stitch." in another reply to the same post/thread.

    T.N.O., Oct 30, 2003
  11. JedMeister

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > T.N.O. wrote:
    >
    > >> WTF is Knite?

    > > he meant knit... it still doesnt make sense, but is a word.

    > The reason I say it is "knit" is that he said "Yes good for Cross
    > stitch." in another reply to the same post/thread.

    Why the great surprise?
    Those posts were done by a nitwit.
    LOL

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Oct 30, 2003
  12. JedMeister

    pete Guest

    "E. Scrooge" < (remove eye)> wrote in message

    > "T.N.O." <> wrote in message

    > > > he meant knit... it still doesnt make sense, but is a word.

    > > The reason I say it is "knit" is that he said "Yes good for Cross
    > > stitch." in another reply to the same post/thread.

    > Why the great surprise?
    > Those posts were done by a nitwit.
    > LOL
    > E. Scrooge

    Shouldn't that be "KnitWit"?

    pete, Oct 31, 2003
  13. JedMeister

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <>,
    Malcolm <figjam59@n_o.s_p_a_m.ihug.co.nz> wrote:

    > On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 03:04:49 +1300, JedMeister <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I have a 3Ghz Dell, shipped with XP and Hyper threading switched on...
    > >
    > > Is it worthwhile keeping hyperthreading on? Are there any applications
    > > that
    > > use hyper threading yet?

    > Hi
    > I run an 2.60cGHz cpu, RedHat 9.0 with the smp kernel and hyperthreading
    > on, effectivly giving you 2 x CPU's to share the load (cpu0 and cpu1).
    >
    > I would assume on XP if you look at the task manager you would also see a
    > cpu0 and cpu1?
    >
    > I use this machine for seti crunching (this will interest ~misfit~) with
    > the following results;
    >
    > wine and 1 x seti client 2.5hrs/wu (9.6 per day)
    > wine and 2 x seti clients 3.5hrs/wu (13.7 per day)
    >
    > So for me I see about a 30 odd % increase in performance.

    Why under Wine? Why not just use the Linux client? (I'm genuinely
    curious/interested about that)

    --
    madknoxie

    madknoxie, Oct 31, 2003
  14. JedMeister

    Malcolm Guest

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 22:15:55 +1300, madknoxie
    <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Malcolm <figjam59@n_o.s_p_a_m.ihug.co.nz> wrote:

    <snip>

    >> wine and 1 x seti client 2.5hrs/wu (9.6 per day)
    >> wine and 2 x seti clients 3.5hrs/wu (13.7 per day)
    >>
    >> So for me I see about a 30 odd % increase in performance.

    > Why under Wine? Why not just use the Linux client? (I'm genuinely
    > curious/interested about that)

    The windows client running under the wine environment goes quicker than
    running under it's native OS. For VLAR's (angle range less tha .300) the
    linux client runs better...
    From memory somewhere in the region of 10-15%. It's all in how the
    different clients where originally compiled I think...

    Cheers
    Malcolm

    Malcolm, Oct 31, 2003
  15. JedMeister

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Malcolm wrote:
    > On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 03:04:49 +1300, JedMeister <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I have a 3Ghz Dell, shipped with XP and Hyper threading switched
    >> on...
    >>
    >> Is it worthwhile keeping hyperthreading on? Are there any
    >> applications that
    >> use hyper threading yet?

    > Hi
    > I run an 2.60cGHz cpu, RedHat 9.0 with the smp kernel and
    > hyperthreading on, effectivly giving you 2 x CPU's to share the load
    > (cpu0 and cpu1).
    >
    > I would assume on XP if you look at the task manager you would also
    > see a cpu0 and cpu1?
    >
    > I use this machine for seti crunching (this will interest ~misfit~)
    > with the following results;
    >
    > wine and 1 x seti client 2.5hrs/wu (9.6 per day)
    > wine and 2 x seti clients 3.5hrs/wu (13.7 per day)
    >
    > So for me I see about a 30 odd % increase in performance.
    >
    > You may also wish to check here:
    > http://www.intel.com/support/platform/ht/os.htm?iid=ipp_htm os&
    >
    > Cheers Malcolm

    Your results with SETI tally pretty much exactly with what others report in
    alt.sci.seti.

    Good excuse to change from AMD (if only Intel CPUs weren't so expensive).
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Oct 31, 2003
  16. JedMeister

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: Hyper threading - is it any good? Good with Tea.

    Nick Smith wrote:

    <nothing>

    And just when you were being so helpful and all I'm going to have to add
    this persona to my killfile as well.

    That'll be about 30-odd wogers in there.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Oct 31, 2003
  17. JedMeister

    Nick Smith Guest

    On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 00:33:49 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his.desk.com> wrote:

    >Nick Smith wrote:
    >
    ><nothing>
    >
    >And just when you were being so helpful and all I'm going to have to add
    >this persona to my killfile as well.
    >
    >That'll be about 30-odd wogers in there.

    Yes every ware a Woger..

    No the poster must be so very thick to ask such question in the first place
    and every one know that this is a AMD news group..

    Its well known you use Google for such things, then you will not get the AMD
    bias.

    So that is why I am taking the piss.

    Nick Smith, Oct 31, 2003
  18. JedMeister

    E. Scrooge Guest

    wrote:

    > >Nick Smith wrote:
    > >
    > ><nothing>
    > >
    > >And just when you were being so helpful and all I'm going to have to add
    > >this persona to my killfile as well.
    > >
    > >That'll be about 30-odd wogers in there.

    > Yes every ware a Woger..
    >
    > No the poster must be so very thick to ask such question in the first

    place
    > and every one know that this is a AMD news group..
    >

    > Its well known you use Google for such things, then you will not get the

    AMD
    > bias.
    >

    > So that is why I am taking the piss.

    To boldly go "ware" no man has gone be4.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Oct 31, 2003