    I looking for a hybrid TV tuner card hopefully pci-e with support for XP X64
    so far have not found one any suggestions mite even consider a usb tuner.

    Thanks.
    spock, Jan 9, 2008

  2. spock

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Spock.

    I bought a Hauppauge HVR-1600 PCIe card and a Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro Stick
    about a year ago for use in my AMD 64 X2 5000+ rig, running Vista Ultimate
    x64. After a too-long wait for drivers, and other learning-curve pains, I
    am now getting acceptable TV reception from local stations on my antenna. I
    do not subscribe to TV cable, although I do have Internet cable. I'm sure
    TV cable would eliminate my remaining complaints.

    With both Hauppauge and Pinnacle (and any other TV tuner brand, I expect),
    the problem is not just with the drivers, but with the TV software package.
    I haven't tried Pinnacle's software lately, but Hauppauge's WinTV (and
    WinTV2000 - I'm not sure which is supposed to be better) works pretty will
    now. But mostly I use Vista's built-in Media Center. WinTV receives both
    analog and digital channels; I've not yet figured out how to get the analogs
    on MC. I've not tried the cards on WinXP x64 in several months, so I don't
    know the current status of drivers or software for WinXP. Also, I see that
    both companies have introduced several newer - and better, I assume - tuners
    since I bought mine.

    With digital, reception is either perfect, or not at all. And it flickers
    back and forth rapidly sometimes, like playback from a dirty DVD. But on a
    good-reception day, the football game looks as good on my 17" LCD monitor as
    it does on the big screens down at Best Buy. ;<)

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jan 9, 2008

  3. spock

    DP Guest

    I'm using the Pinnacle HD Ultimate Stick, which is either the same thing or
    close to what RC is using. I'm using it with Vista 64-bit Ultimate.
    Though I do have XP Pro X64 on my computer in a dual-boot situation, I'm in
    Vista about 95 percent of the time now, so I can't tell you how the stick
    works in XP X64.
    Like R.C., I access channels via Media Center and not through Pinnacle
    software. And my reception experience is pretty close to what he describes.
    Also, one other thing: though I haven't done it, you can plug your TV cable
    into the Pinnacle stick instead of attaching the antenna to it.

    Here's the product page, and you can muck about the Pinnacle site for
    information on other products and other possible solutions for your case.
    http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSi...CTV Flash_TV Stick/PCTV HD Ultimate Stick.htm

    DP, Jan 10, 2008
  4. spock

    steveonan Guest

    Hi,

    I bought the Hauppauge hvr-1800, and I can't get the ir for the remote to
    work. i think it is a 64-bit issue. Do you have a remote, or experienced
    any compatibility problems. Reception is great, and dvr functions work well
    in media center, just no remote.

    Thanks

    steveonan, Feb 7, 2008
  5. spock

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, steveonan.

    The remote works fine for me in Vista Ultimate x64, including the new SP1,
    which I've been beta-testing and am now running what apparently is the final
    RTM version.

    As I said, I now think all my issues are with over-the-air reception and not
    with Vista or Media Center or the HVR-1600 card - or the remote. Even WinTV
    and WinTV2000 work now - with the same on/off/flicker reception problems as
    before.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Feb 7, 2008
  6. spock

    steveonan Guest

    I was having trouble with several usb devices so I reinstalled Vista with
    everything attached I was having problems with and now it is all working,
    including the remote.

    Thanks

    steveonan, Feb 8, 2008
  7. spock

    Tom Lake Guest

    "steveonan" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I bought the Hauppauge hvr-1800, and I can't get the ir for the remote to
    > work. i think it is a 64-bit issue. Do you have a remote, or experienced
    > any compatibility problems. Reception is great, and dvr functions work
    > well
    > in media center, just no remote.

    How much memory do you have? I have 8 GB and unless I disable the upper
    4 GB, all I get is a green screen with Hauppauge cards. Does yours work
    with
    more than 4 GB?

    Tom Lake
    Tom Lake, Feb 8, 2008
  8. I had the same problem with the PV150. Now I have the HVR1800 PCIE 1x and
    the problem has been resolved with latest drivers. Same goes for the 1600.
    Works with 4 Gigs and more.

    Hauppauge sent me the latest drivers for the 1800 because not all vendeurs
    have them yet.

    --
    Lance Frca {497083/1008563} MVP Shell/User
    www.zardoc.com

    Lance Le Claire, Feb 8, 2008
  9. spock

    Tom Lake Guest

    "Lance Le Claire" <> wrote in message
    >I had the same problem with the PV150. Now I have the HVR1800 PCIE 1x and the
    >problem has been resolved with latest drivers. Same goes for the 1600. Works with 4
    >Gigs and more.
    >
    > Hauppauge sent me the latest drivers for the 1800 because not all vendeurs have
    > them yet.

    What is the driver version you have, if you don't mind me asking? I'd really like
    to stay with a Hauppauge product if possible.

    TIA

    Tom Lake
    Tom Lake, Feb 8, 2008
  10. [Version]
    signature="$CHICAGO$"
    Class=Media
    ClassGUID={4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
    Provider="Hauppauge"
    DriverVer=01/17/2008,1.27.26017
    CatalogFile.ntamd64=hcw85b64.cat
    DriverPackageType=PlugAndPlay
    DriverPackageDisplayName="WinTV (885/7/8)"

    Lance Le Claire, Feb 8, 2008