Hybrid DVD's

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by drsd2kill, Sep 11, 2004.

  1. drsd2kill

    drsd2kill Guest

    Hey guys,

    Anybody frustrated over some weird DVD releases? For example: the original
    release of ANNIE has both pan/scan and anamorphic widescreen and only adequate
    2-channel Dolby Surround - whereas the reissue had terrific DD 5.1 and DTS
    tracks but only pan/scan. So... I made a DVD using the widescreen transfer and
    synched up the 5.1 DD track and made a new DVD.

    Sort of the same thing with Ray Harryhausen's film MYSTERIOUS ISLAND. The
    Laserdisc had a great stereo track whereas the DVD is scratchy mono. So...
    transferred the stereo LD tracks into my computer, synched them up to the
    anamorphic widescreen video from the DVD, and made a new DVD using the superior
    LD soundtrack with the superior DVD video.

    Anybody else do things like this? These two turned out so well (granted, they
    were a bitch to synch up - well, MI was anyway) I plan on making more using
    commentary tracks from Criterion Laserdiscs (THE FISHER KING, PRINCE OF TIDES,
    SOME LIKE IT HOT, etc.) and making new DVD's with those tracks as alternate
    channels.

    drsd2kill, Sep 11, 2004

  2. drsd2kill

    Ian W. Hill Guest

    >Sort of the same thing with Ray Harryhausen's film MYSTERIOUS ISLAND. The
    >Laserdisc had a great stereo track whereas the DVD is scratchy mono. So...
    >transferred the stereo LD tracks into my computer, synched them up to the
    >anamorphic widescreen video from the DVD, and made a new DVD using the
    >superior
    >LD soundtrack with the superior DVD video.
    >
    >Anybody else do things like this? These two turned out so well (granted, they
    >were a bitch to synch up - well, MI was anyway) I plan on making more using
    >commentary tracks from Criterion Laserdiscs (THE FISHER KING, PRINCE OF
    >TIDES,
    >SOME LIKE IT HOT, etc.) and making new DVD's with those tracks as alternate
    >channels.

    Yeah, between the materials and equipment I and two other friends have we're
    making a hybrid dvd of Cronenberg's CRASH with the Criterion LD extras
    (including commentary). I'd like to do the same sometime with THE MAN WHO FELL
    TO EARTH and THE LAST PICTURE SHOW. Or of course the original Criterion Bond
    film commentaries.

    Roundheels
    Brooklyn

    restore my patriotism to reply

    Ian W. Hill, Sep 11, 2004

  3. drsd2kill

    drsd2kill Guest

    Ah... THE LAST PICTURE SHOW I plan on doing, but i would require some tricky
    editing since a few shots of Cybill nude from behind are on the DVD but missing
    from the LD, but the LD has a short scene not on the current DVD.

    Check out my DVD review on www.dvdangle.com for a list of the changes.

    drsd2kill, Sep 11, 2004
  4. drsd2kill

    Stan Guest

    In article <>,
    (drsd2kill) wrote:

    > Hey guys,
    >
    > Anybody frustrated over some weird DVD releases? For example: the original
    > release of ANNIE has both pan/scan and anamorphic widescreen and only adequate
    > 2-channel Dolby Surround - whereas the reissue had terrific DD 5.1 and DTS
    > tracks but only pan/scan. So... I made a DVD using the widescreen transfer and
    > synched up the 5.1 DD track and made a new DVD.
    >
    > Sort of the same thing with Ray Harryhausen's film MYSTERIOUS ISLAND. The
    > Laserdisc had a great stereo track whereas the DVD is scratchy mono. So...
    > transferred the stereo LD tracks into my computer, synched them up to the
    > anamorphic widescreen video from the DVD, and made a new DVD using the

    superior
    > LD soundtrack with the superior DVD video.
    >
    > Anybody else do things like this? These two turned out so well (granted, they
    > were a bitch to synch up - well, MI was anyway) I plan on making more using
    > commentary tracks from Criterion Laserdiscs (THE FISHER KING, PRINCE OF TIDES,
    > SOME LIKE IT HOT, etc.) and making new DVD's with those tracks as alternate
    > channels.

    What software do you use to synch the video with the new audio?

    --Stan

    "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop
    thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do
    we."
    --G. W. Bush, August 5, 2004

    Stan, Sep 13, 2004
  5. drsd2kill

    drsd2kill Guest

    Well, I'm on a Mac - what I have found is best is to rep the audio and deposit
    it in Final Cut Pro - then import whatever new soundtrack I have - use the
    soundwaves to aid in synching (sometimes I need to cut and move sound by a
    frame or two to cover missing frames, different sources, etc.) When they are in
    synch, I delete the old soundtrack, export the "conformed" stereo or commentart
    track as AIFF, and then encode to Dolby Digital using A.Pack. Then it's onto
    making the DVD and encoding with DVD Studio Pro 2

    drsd2kill, Sep 14, 2004