    Thanks
    --
    Stuart

    stuartray, Dec 18, 2007

  2. If you have 2 GB of RAM or more, hibernate is usually not offered as an
    option. You should be able to force it by using the shutdown command line:

    shutdown /h

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 18, 2007

  3. Now there's an idea, Charlie. Instead of counting sheep tonight I think
    I'll try repeating "shutdown /h" a hundred times.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 18, 2007
  4. stuartray

    DP Guest

    > If you have 2 GB of RAM or more, hibernate is usually not offered as an
    > option.

    Just curious: How come?

    DP, Dec 18, 2007
  5. The size of the hibernate file, I assume.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 18, 2007
  6. Correct.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 18, 2007
  7. <grin>

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 18, 2007
  8. > If you have 2 GB of RAM or more, hibernate is usually not offered as an
    > option. You should be able to force it by using the shutdown command line:

    I vaguely remember that my PC wouldn't always hibernate when I first doubled
    my RAM from 1 to 2GB, but that eventually went away after a couple of
    hotfixes--that was probably well over a year and a half ago, if not more,
    and I put my machine into hibernation daily without any issue.

    Homer J. Simpson, Dec 21, 2007
  9. Can you imagine the potential size of the hibernate file on a system with
    8GB of ram and a quad SLI video board setup? Do the math. Not pretty.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 21, 2007
  10. Yes. not at all.

    It's interesting. I can force hibernation on my Ferrari. And every once in a
    while it decides to offer hibernation as an option in the gui. But usually
    goes away these days. It used to be consistenly available as an option. I'm
    not sure what has changed. But since it's easier and faster for me to type
    shutdown /h that to click a few times to find out that hibernate isn't
    offered, I no longer even think about it. I just do it. ;)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 21, 2007
  11. stuartray

    toebens Guest

    if i try to shutdown my windows xp professional x64 with sp2 (and latest
    patches) installed via
    shutdown -h
    it says:

    Hibernation is not enabled on this system. You must enable hibernation in
    order to use the -h option.

    i do not have the tab for hibernation in the control panel - power options!
    my system has 4gb of RAM and a nvidia 8600GTS. if i remove some RAM dimm
    from the motherboard "hibernate" is also shown in the shut down dialog and
    hibernate works.

    however i want to "force" hibernation - my pc takes several minutes to boot
    up. even if the hibernation file on the harddisk would be very large and it
    takes some time to read and write it - i am sure my pc will boot up much
    faster with hibernation ("enabled").

    what to do? is there any registry hack to get hibernation work with 4gb ram?
    anything to do about it?

    i really would like to decide MYSELF if i want to use hibernate or not!
    microsoft should not decide this for me by disabling it alltogether - for
    sure they could show a hint for un-experted users or something like that.

    please help - i want hibernation back on my system - even if it has 4gb of
    ram!

    toebens, Oct 15, 2009
  12. stuartray

    David Guest

    If you have 4GB or more of memory installed in XP x64 or Vista x64, then it
    won't go into hibernation/sleep mode. According to Microsoft this is
    disabled by design due to poor performance. This can also happen with less
    than 4GB on Windows x86 (32-bit) systems due to PCI mapping of hardware into
    the memory space below 4GB.

    See following knowledgebase article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888575/en-us

    David.