    of Cisco modem on their cable network.

    I'm particularly interested by Cox.

    Thanks,

    sylvek, Apr 27, 2007

  2. sylvek

    Thrill5 Guest

    Actually they probably do since the cable modem HWIC is DOCSIS 2.0
    compliant. Most cable systems providers will support any cable modem that
    is DOCSIS 2.0 compliant, and most of the large providers use Cisco on the
    headend anyway. Of course you mileage may very and you should verify with
    your cable system provider.

    Scott

    Thrill5, Apr 27, 2007

  3. sylvek

    sylvek Guest

    Hi Scott!

    "Thrill5" <> wrote:
    > Most cable systems providers will support any cable modem that
    > is DOCSIS 2.0 compliant, and most of the large providers use Cisco on the
    > headend anyway.

    Cox unfortunately has a policy of supporting only the
    modems that are on the explicit list of their own,
    not by DOCSIS 2.0 approval status.

    As far as head end: yes, they most likely use Cisco. But in
    a really awkward way. For example in the past they had explicit
    code to disable Cisco uBR series CPE routers. That was in
    DOCSIS 1.0 days. The disablement was really primitive (they
    pushed a stupid access list that was easy to disable). But
    the net result was that the only people who managed to
    get Cisco uBR 7xx provisioned did so by social-engineering
    the telephone support and pretending to have other brand
    of the modem.

    Thanks for your time,

    Sylvek

    sylvek, May 3, 2007