    Drx Guest

    if I put this card into 2811 router, can I use these new ports as L3 ports
    or they are just L2 ports (switched)?

    Drx, Jan 5, 2007

  2. Drx <> writes:
    >if I put this card into 2811 router, can I use these new ports as L3 ports
    >or they are just L2 ports (switched)?

    They are L2 ports, that can be trunked back into the router.
    They aren't L3 ports.

    Doug McIntyre, Jan 5, 2007

  3. Drx

    Drx Guest

    On 05 Jan 2007 20:30:07 GMT, Doug McIntyre wrote:

    > Drx <> writes:
    >>if I put this card into 2811 router, can I use these new ports as L3 ports
    >>or they are just L2 ports (switched)?

    > They are L2 ports, that can be trunked back into the router.
    > They aren't L3 ports.

    so is there any other way I can increase number of L3 ports in 2800 series
    router? I need 5 L3 phisicaly separated ports and not trunked virtual
    interfaces

    Drx, Jan 5, 2007
  4. Drx

    MC Guest

    Drx wrote:
    > On 05 Jan 2007 20:30:07 GMT, Doug McIntyre wrote:
    >
    >> Drx <> writes:
    >>> if I put this card into 2811 router, can I use these new ports as L3 ports
    >>> or they are just L2 ports (switched)?

    >> They are L2 ports, that can be trunked back into the router.
    >> They aren't L3 ports.

    > so is there any other way I can increase number of L3 ports in 2800 series
    > router? I need 5 L3 phisicaly separated ports and not trunked virtual
    > interfaces

    VLAN tagging on the router, whereas one or more ports on the switch are
    represented on the router. can have every port in a separate VLAN on the
    router. However be aware are doing L# in software on the router at that
    point no hardware like a true L# switch and there is a bandwidth limit
    from the L@ switch HWIC card to the router, although is higher than the
    network modules can not remember how much, I am thinking 800mps combined
    full duplex ?

    MC, Jan 5, 2007
  5. Drx

    Guest

    MC wrote:
    > Drx wrote:

    > >> They are L2 ports, that can be trunked back into the router.
    > >> They aren't L3 ports.

    > > so is there any other way I can increase number of L3 ports in 2800 series
    > > router? I need 5 L3 phisicaly separated ports and not trunked virtual
    > > interfaces

    > VLAN tagging on the router, whereas one or more ports on the switch are
    > represented on the router. can have every port in a separate VLAN on the
    > router. However be aware are doing L# in software on the router at that
    > point no hardware like a true L# switch and there is a bandwidth limit
    > from the L@ switch HWIC card to the router, although is higher than the
    > network modules can not remember how much, I am thinking 800mps combined
    > full duplex ?

    I agree that this is not clearly documented.
    We bought some 16 port "L2" cards (NM-16ESW) and I can
    absolutely confirm that they can be configured as either L3
    interfaces OR configured as L2 in a VLAN and have SVIs
    (e.g int vlan 22) configured for routing. Take you pick.

    We used both.

    I expect that the one that you are proposing is similar.
    I asked our supplier to confirm. We are a low level
    Cisco partner so that was our Distributor.

    Within the same VLAN you get hardware L2 switching,
    and within VLANs you get a software router is my
    understanding (by guesswork).

    The configuration is just like a 6500 or 4500 or 3750
    or 3560.
    No weird twiddly bits, just create VLANs, SVIs,
    or use pure L3 interfaces.

    I have the idea that the 32 port card (36?) may have
    L3 hardware.

    , Jan 5, 2007
  6. Drx

    Thrill5 Guest

    "MC" <> wrote in message
    > Drx wrote:

    >>> They are L2 ports, that can be trunked back into the router. They aren't
    >>> L3 ports.

    >> so is there any other way I can increase number of L3 ports in 2800
    >> series
    >> router? I need 5 L3 phisicaly separated ports and not trunked virtual
    >> interfaces

    > VLAN tagging on the router, whereas one or more ports on the switch are
    > represented on the router. can have every port in a separate VLAN on the
    > router. However be aware are doing L# in software on the router at that
    > point no hardware like a true L# switch and there is a bandwidth limit
    > from the L@ switch HWIC card to the router, although is higher than the
    > network modules can not remember how much, I am thinking 800mps combined
    > full duplex ?

    Cisco has just announced the HWIC-1FE and HWIC-2FE cards. They are 1-port
    and 2-port FastEthernet interfaces respectively, that are full L3
    interfaces. A 2811 will support up to two HWIC-1FE cards (the HWIC-2FE is
    not supported on the 2800 series). The cards are expected to be available
    at the end of January.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5855/products_data_sheet0900aecd80581fe6.html

    Scott

    Thrill5, Jan 6, 2007
  7. Drx

    Drx Guest

    On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 03:38:08 -0500, Thrill5 wrote:

    > "MC" <> wrote in message
    >> Drx wrote:

    >>> so is there any other way I can increase number of L3 ports in 2800
    >>> series
    >>> router? I need 5 L3 phisicaly separated ports and not trunked virtual
    >>> interfaces

    >> VLAN tagging on the router, whereas one or more ports on the switch are
    >> represented on the router. can have every port in a separate VLAN on the
    >> router. However be aware are doing L# in software on the router at that
    >> point no hardware like a true L# switch and there is a bandwidth limit
    >> from the L@ switch HWIC card to the router, although is higher than the
    >> network modules can not remember how much, I am thinking 800mps combined
    >> full duplex ?
    >>

    > Cisco has just announced the HWIC-1FE and HWIC-2FE cards. They are 1-port
    > and 2-port FastEthernet interfaces respectively, that are full L3
    > interfaces. A 2811 will support up to two HWIC-1FE cards (the HWIC-2FE is
    > not supported on the 2800 series). The cards are expected to be available
    > at the end of January.
    >
    > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5855/products_data_sheet0900aecd80581fe6.html
    >

    > Scott

    thanks guys, you helped

    Drx, Jan 6, 2007
  8. Drx

    novated

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    HWIC-4ESW with HWIC-16ESW in 2811

    Hello,

    I have a problem with both card in the same chassis 2811. I
    Alone I get that the card works HWIC-4ESW. There is some way so that both work simultaneously without having to configure a stacking.

    Thank you

    novated, Dec 15, 2009