HVD (Holographic Versatile Disc)

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by slugworth, Sep 24, 2005.

  1. slugworth

    slugworth Guest

    HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray: And the Winner is...

    Barry Braverman

    Sep 22, 2005 10:08 AM

    The high-resolution DVD format war continues to rage unabated with
    plenty of vitriol spewing from the lips of proponents and detractors
    on both sides. Unresolved, the outcome will likely benefit neither
    player as consumers, paralyzed by the competing formats, will simply
    opt out of the technology altogether. This is what happened a few
    years ago in the case of DVD-Audio vs. Super Audio CD, and it looks
    like we’re setting up for a similar debacle in coming months.

    Of course it may happen that the winner is not one of the two
    principal contenders at all, but a new technology lurking in the
    wings. The Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) is the stealth player in
    this protracted struggle; the rapidly emerging technology is capable
    of storing (eventually) 3.9 TB of data on a CD/DVD sized disc.

    Beyond this extraordinary capacity roughly the equivalent of 800 DVDs,
    the format’s zippy 1 Gbps thorughput has tremendous implications in
    the commercial, industrial and d-Cinema realms. HVD’s massive storage
    will undoubtedly find wide use for backup and archiving in media
    libraries, including at the Hollywood studios where the highest value
    digital assets are generally stored on tape and systematically
    re-archived every seven years to assure long-term integrity.

    With its large capacity and bandwidth, HVD could be just what we need
    to combat the ever-growing deluge of data, a behemoth of zeros and
    ones growing exponentially with each passing day as more production
    and postproduction is performed at 2K and 4K resolutions.

    For theatrical exhibitors, HVD’s 1 Gbps bandwidth means that d-Cinema
    presentations can be played directly from the disc. This is a critical
    point as theatre operators, studio executives, and video on demand
    executives quickly realize that the digital delivery of gargantuan
    movie files via FTP is impractical and unreliable even at the proposed
    modest 2:1 compression level.

    HVD offers not only the efficiency and reliability of delivering a 2K
    or 4K resolution movie overnight in a Fedex envelope, it can do so
    with absolute security – a vital concern to Hollywood and high-profile
    content owners. HVD’s security is derived in part from the one million
    possible keys per page of data. Bearing in mind that 22,000 such pages
    can be written every second, each with its own unique key, one can see
    how HVD can easily embrace a virtually unbreakable security scheme.
    Looking at HVD slightly differently, the media contains no readable
    data until a hologram actually forms, and this can only happen if the
    correct key or keys are present.

    Current DVDs record data onto the surface at a rate of one bit per
    pulse of the red laser. A holographic optical disc however improves on
    that rate considerably, recording pages of data volumetrically at
    60,000 bits per pulse! The holographic lens floats above the moving
    disc rotating at 300rpm, the lens constantly micro adjusting the green
    or blue laser to compensate for vibration and flutter just like in a
    portable DVD player.

    This raises the interesting notion of whether HVD recorders will ever
    be mated to professional camcorders. It could happen. Already credit
    card size media with a 30 GB capacity has been demonstrated. Broadly
    similar in concept to current P2 memory cards, HVD storage requires
    moving heads over the medium in a continuous and fluid fashion, Since
    the HVD card does not rotate, reliability and stability is assured.
    Positioning or angle of the medium does not appear to be an issue in
    order to produce the required hologram.

    First-generation HVD recorders will likely utilize a green laser
    recording system mostly due to the lower cost. A higher energy blue
    laser will be introduced later to achieve full capacity as advertised.
    In both cases, a parallel red laser is also used as a reference for
    precise alignment of the data beam and optics. The red laser also
    provides compatibility with conventional red-laser CDs and DVDs
    currently on the market.

    With the finalization of the HVD standard in mid-2006, the door will
    be thrust open to rapid commercial exploitation. Look for the first
    commercial HVD player/recorders with a capacity of 200 GB to hit the
    market in about nine-months. Media capacity is expected to increase
    quickly to 1 TB and 3.9 TB shortly thereafter.

    Consumer applications of HVD technology including home players and
    recorders appear to be at least several years off, so for the moment
    HD-DVD and Blu-ray will continue to rage in this crucial market. For
    commercial and professional users, however, the outcome of the current
    DVD format war may be moot as many of us seek solutions elsewhere in
    the three-dimensional shadows and fringes of the Holographic Versatile
    Disc.

    http://videosystems.com/e-newsletters/HD_Disc_Contenders092205/
    slugworth, Sep 24, 2005

  2. slugworth

    Alpha Guest

    I read that the company that tried to develop this technology when bankrupt
    this year.
    Alpha, Sep 24, 2005

  3. slugworth

    nselson Guest

    The last company that tried this went bankrupt a few years ago, and
    another company snatched up the technology rights. They have a major ce
    manufacturer helping to fund their r&d, now. But, they have no support
    from software providers and near-zero visibility compared to the other
    two. That being said, I have no doubt that this is the future of disc
    based storage.
    nselson, Sep 24, 2005
  4. slugworth

    Alpha Guest

    "nselson" <> wrote in message
    > The last company that tried this went bankrupt a few years ago, and
    > another company snatched up the technology rights. They have a major ce
    > manufacturer helping to fund their r&d, now. But, they have no support
    > from software providers and near-zero visibility compared to the other
    > two. That being said, I have no doubt that this is the future of disc
    > based storage.

    Perhaps...but I see a more progressive trend....holographic-data
    silicon-storage (or non-mechanical) based recorders and players. The future
    is not to have anything motor-based at all. It is already happening...Ipod,
    compact flash recorders, etc.

    Further, video will be piped into a device wirelessly.

    The day of 'owning' video or audio media will end....not with a bang, but a
    wimper.
    Alpha, Sep 24, 2005
  5. slugworth

    Sugar Mouse Guest

    "Alpha" <> wrote in message

    > "nselson" <> wrote in message
    >> The last company that tried this went bankrupt a few years ago, and
    >> another company snatched up the technology rights. They have a major ce
    >> manufacturer helping to fund their r&d, now. But, they have no support
    >> from software providers and near-zero visibility compared to the other
    >> two. That being said, I have no doubt that this is the future of disc
    >> based storage.
    >>

    > Perhaps...but I see a more progressive trend....holographic-data
    > silicon-storage (or non-mechanical) based recorders and players. The
    > future is not to have anything motor-based at all. It is already
    > happening...Ipod, compact flash recorders, etc.

    Hate to mention, but Ipods have Hard Drives in them, and therefore motors...

    Nathan.

    --
    Find a better way of life, visit :-

    www.marillion.com
    Sugar Mouse, Sep 24, 2005
  6. slugworth

    Alpha Guest

    "Sugar Mouse" <> wrote in message

    > "Alpha" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "nselson" <> wrote in message
    >>> The last company that tried this went bankrupt a few years ago, and
    >>> another company snatched up the technology rights. They have a major ce
    >>> manufacturer helping to fund their r&d, now. But, they have no support
    >>> from software providers and near-zero visibility compared to the other
    >>> two. That being said, I have no doubt that this is the future of disc
    >>> based storage.
    >>>

    >> Perhaps...but I see a more progressive trend....holographic-data
    >> silicon-storage (or non-mechanical) based recorders and players. The
    >> future is not to have anything motor-based at all. It is already
    >> happening...Ipod, compact flash recorders, etc.
    >>

    > Hate to mention, but Ipods have Hard Drives in them, and therefore
    > motors...
    >
    > Nathan.
    >
    > --
    > Find a better way of life, visit :-