    tells me I have HuntBar in my computer. It fixes the problem but it
    keeps coming back.

    Lori

    Kayla, Sep 23, 2004

  2. Kayla

    Thor Guest

    Spybot is great, but one spyware program doesn't get everything, so it's
    important to try multiple tools. Try using AdawareSE.

    Thor, Sep 23, 2004

  3. Kayla

    Wizard Guest

    Many of these things install themselves and keep returning afater
    removed by spybot and adaware. Go to add/remove software and uninstall
    anything that you didn't put there.

    Wizard, Sep 23, 2004
  4. Kayla

    L;ozT Guest

    .....and another tool worth looking at is HijackThis (freeware
    www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles ). Be careful using it, as some of the stuff it
    finds is necessary for the wellbeing of your PC. But a careful examination
    of the log files will reveal (and will fix/allow you to take measures
    against) quite a lot of nastyness which may be lurking around.

    If unsure about the log, there are a couple or few techie forums on the web.
    2 reasonable ones are http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showforum=44
    and http://smartercomputing.ipbhost.com/index.php?showforum=95

    As for spybot, this is a good tool, but make sure you are on the newest
    version with all updates (V1.3 or later).

    Cheers.

    L;ozT ........... and very tired now (haven't been to bed for 4 days -
    TURN THE COMPUTER OFF I HEAR ME SAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

    L;ozT, Sep 23, 2004
  5. Kayla

    mark mandel Guest

    "Kayla" <> wrote in message
    > Has anybody had a problem with this parasite? My computer is freezing
    > up when I go on the internet. It is very slow and running SpyBot
    > tells me I have HuntBar in my computer. It fixes the problem but it
    > keeps coming back.
    >
    > Lori

    In addition to what's been said, you may find you're going to need to delete
    certain items in Safe mode. This is the value of Hijack This because those
    items will show up there in the log.

    mark mandel, Sep 23, 2004
  6. Kayla

    Jerry G. Guest

    I have no idea of what operating system you are using, but you have to
    turn off the automatic restore feature. This applies to Win 2000, ME,
    and XP or greater. You must turn this feature off. In Win 2000 you can
    boot in the VGA (safe mode), to turn off the auto restore feature.
    Before turning off the restore feature, if applicable in your version of
    Windows, tell it to clean itself up, or reset. This is to delete all the
    former restore points. You would not want them anyways, because if used,
    the undesired program(s) will return.

    Once you have disabled the restore feature, run your removal tool, and
    after it says the computer is clean, then re-set it. Once re-set, you
    can now turn on the restore feature.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Sep 24, 2004
  7. Kayla

    CLV3 Guest

    "Kayla" <> wrote in message
    > Has anybody had a problem with this parasite? My computer is freezing
    > up when I go on the internet. It is very slow and running SpyBot
    > tells me I have HuntBar in my computer. It fixes the problem but it
    > keeps coming back.
    >
    > Lori

    Well I am no expert but I usually use both Spybot S&D and Adaware and I do
    searches several times a week. Maybe I'm a little over-kill. LOL

    CLV3, Sep 24, 2004
  8. Kayla

    Kayla Guest

    I downloaded AdawareSE today. I had 327 items show up, 99 the second
    time and 36 items the third time. I will see what shows up in the
    morning. Do I delete these out of the quarantine section?
    Thanks for everybodys suggestions.

    Lori

    Kayla, Sep 24, 2004
  9. Kayla

    Wizard Guest

    Yes.

    Wizard, Sep 24, 2004
  10. Kayla

    Kayla Guest

    I used both programs and got rid of Huntbar and will continue using
    both because different things showed up in each one. I don't mind a
    little overkill because what I put up with the last while was so
    aggravating and now I have my clean computer back.

    Lori

    Kayla, Sep 27, 2004