Human nature - don't touch that button!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter, Dec 18, 2005.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Tell someone not to do something, and (often) that is exactly what they will
    do. Apparently, this guy posted a URL of a site that installs malware on
    the visiting PC, and he warned people not to go there. But, some folk did,
    trashed their PC and then blamed that guy!
    http://lobby4linux.com/modules/weblog/details.php?blog_id=25

    Humans are such funny creatures!

    Peter

    snip from that guy's site ...
    "NEVER under any circumstance visit this url using Internet Explorer and
    Windows?you have been warned. In Windows and IE, it can completely hose
    the registry.
    Should you feel adventurous and decide to visit this virus and adware
    tar-pit, let me predict your future for you. Before you have defeated the
    last popup ad, Norton/Symatec antivirus 2005 will report 13 viruses on your
    computer. Microsoft anti-spyware tool will stop about half of the nasties
    at the gate, but the worst offenders get a back stage pass to your
    registry. They will nestle comfortably among the legitimate residents there
    and it is almost impossible to evict them."

    Peter, Dec 18, 2005

  2. Peter

    MarkH Guest

    Peter <> wrote in

    > Tell someone not to do something, and (often) that is exactly what
    > they will do. Apparently, this guy posted a URL of a site that
    > installs malware on the visiting PC, and he warned people not to go
    > there. But, some folk did, trashed their PC and then blamed that guy!
    > http://lobby4linux.com/modules/weblog/details.php?blog_id=25
    >
    > Humans are such funny creatures!
    >
    > snip from that guy's site ...
    > "NEVER under any circumstance visit this url using Internet Explorer
    > and Windows?you have been warned. In Windows and IE, it can
    > completely hose the registry.
    > Should you feel adventurous and decide to visit this virus and adware
    > tar-pit, let me predict your future for you. Before you have defeated
    > the last popup ad, Norton/Symatec antivirus 2005 will report 13
    > viruses on your computer. Microsoft anti-spyware tool will stop about
    > half of the nasties at the gate, but the worst offenders get a back
    > stage pass to your registry. They will nestle comfortably among the
    > legitimate residents there and it is almost impossible to evict them."

    What do you expect from people that use IE?

    On my Windows system I have Opera, Mozilla and IE - guess which one I
    haven't used in a long time.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Dec 18, 2005

  3. Peter

    GraB Guest

    On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 09:37:17 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:

    >Peter <> wrote in
    >

    >> Tell someone not to do something, and (often) that is exactly what
    >> they will do. Apparently, this guy posted a URL of a site that
    >> installs malware on the visiting PC, and he warned people not to go
    >> there. But, some folk did, trashed their PC and then blamed that guy!
    >> http://lobby4linux.com/modules/weblog/details.php?blog_id=25
    >>
    >> Humans are such funny creatures!
    >>
    >> snip from that guy's site ...
    >> "NEVER under any circumstance visit this url using Internet Explorer
    >> and Windows?you have been warned. In Windows and IE, it can
    >> completely hose the registry.
    >> Should you feel adventurous and decide to visit this virus and adware
    >> tar-pit, let me predict your future for you. Before you have defeated
    >> the last popup ad, Norton/Symatec antivirus 2005 will report 13
    >> viruses on your computer. Microsoft anti-spyware tool will stop about
    >> half of the nasties at the gate, but the worst offenders get a back
    >> stage pass to your registry. They will nestle comfortably among the
    >> legitimate residents there and it is almost impossible to evict them."

    >What do you expect from people that use IE?
    >
    >On my Windows system I have Opera, Mozilla and IE - guess which one I
    >haven't used in a long time.

    IE is set to ask permission in my firewall every time it wants to
    access the net. Opera and Firefox are free to.

    GraB, Dec 18, 2005