    the first 3 minutes is taken up by commercials for other movies - I'm hoping
    that I can return this DVD for that reason alone, I would do without it in
    my collection. Anyone else annoyed by this?

    Dhas, Oct 29, 2003

  2. Dhas

    Nick Guest

    It's really annoying on a lot of R1 because u have to watch the commericals,
    you have no choice apart from fast forwarding them. I wish they would allow
    it so you can press "menu" button to skip the commercials

    "Dhas" <> wrote in message
    > I purchased the Hulk even though I didn't care for the movie, I just

    wanted

    Nick, Oct 29, 2003

  3. "Dhas" <> wrote in message
    > I purchased the Hulk even though I didn't care for the movie, I just

    wanted
    > to add it to my "comic book" DVD collection. I was very disappointed that
    > the first 3 minutes is taken up by commercials for other movies - I'm

    hoping
    > that I can return this DVD for that reason alone, I would do without it in
    > my collection. Anyone else annoyed by this?

    Just backup the movie ONLY to DVD media. End of commercials and all the
    other unnecessary, extraneous garbage.

    --
    callsignviper

    The truth is out there. You just have to look in the right places and ask
    the right questions.

    callsignviper, Oct 29, 2003
  4. Dhas

    CAndersen Guest

    "Nick" <> wrote:

    >It's really annoying on a lot of R1 because u have to watch the commericals,
    >you have no choice apart from fast forwarding them. I wish they would allow
    >it so you can press "menu" button to skip the commercials

    You're missing the point of DVD. Digital technology = programmability,
    which means the disc makers have greater control over your viewing
    experience. This is the reason why DVD was so quickly embraced by the
    industry. Expect more ads and less ability to not watch them.

    --
    Reply address munged. You can figure it out.

    CAndersen, Oct 29, 2003
  5. Dhas

    Wade365 Guest

    << I was very disappointed that
    > the first 3 minutes is taken up by commercials for other movies - I'm

    hoping
    > that I can return this DVD for that reason alone, I would do without it in
    > my collection. Anyone else annoyed by this? >>

    Everyone is annoyed, but I believe if you hit "Stop" duringthe commercials and
    then hit the menu button you can get around them... yes, it's silly to have to
    trick your player, but it's really better than having to sit there and FF>>
    thourgh them like on VHS...

    ..... either that or start the disc and leave the room for a soda and some
    popcorn, like I do...

    If they start puting bugs on th video during the movie (ie a little mountain
    top in the lower right screen for Paramount, etc.) then I'll start having a
    problem with it... but commercials have been on store-bought VHS for rental and
    sale forever... this is nothing new and as the Beatles say, "Nothing To Get
    Hung About."

    It's not a ploy to get you to watch Fullscreen, either.

    : )

    Wade365, Oct 29, 2003
  6. When you insert the disc and the screen shows the FBI warning, press
    stop.

    Then, press play and then the movie will start.

    On my machine if I press menu in stop mode all it gets me is the players
    set up menu.

    Michael Rogers, Oct 29, 2003
  7. Dhas

    mzmeryze Guest

    On 29 Oct 2003 18:29:21 GMT, (Wade365) wrote:

    ><< I was very disappointed that
    >> the first 3 minutes is taken up by commercials for other movies - I'm

    >hoping
    >> that I can return this DVD for that reason alone, I would do without it in
    >> my collection. Anyone else annoyed by this? >>

    >Everyone is annoyed, but I believe if you hit "Stop" duringthe commercials and
    >then hit the menu button you can get around them... yes, it's silly to have to
    >trick your player, but it's really better than having to sit there and FF>>
    >thourgh them like on VHS...

    Jesus, people. It takes a fuckin' second to FF through them.

    mzmeryze, Oct 30, 2003
  8. On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 08:26:21 -0500, "Dhas" <>
    wrote:

    >I purchased the Hulk even though I didn't care for the movie, I just wanted
    >to add it to my "comic book" DVD collection. I was very disappointed that
    >the first 3 minutes is taken up by commercials for other movies - I'm hoping
    >that I can return this DVD for that reason alone, I would do without it in
    >my collection. Anyone else annoyed by this?

    In my Country, common practice is to put commercials on DVD - but not
    commercials for movies - they put commercial for other things like
    mobile phones, minimarkets etc. ... and, usually you can't skip,
    forward or stop them!

    Can you imagine how that can be annoying?

    You buy DVD for 20$ and need to watch 3 commercials for various mobile
    services and best prices in minimarket !

    :mad:((

    --
    Q. What are your qualifications to be a film critic?
    A. I can watch movies, I can think, and I can write.

    Arminio Grgic, Oct 30, 2003
  9. No insert.

    Commercials.

    Looks like Universal has to make the Hulk apologist's credo come true
    - "This may have clunked at the box office, but it will make money
    when licensing and home video sales are counted."

    Sure!

    Save those extra 2 pennies per disk by leaving the insert out! Also
    lets get some commercial time in for our other crappy movies! Haha!

    Hitman of Las Vegas, Oct 30, 2003
  10. Dhas

    CLOSEDOWN8 Guest

    >Jesus, people. It takes a fuckin' second to FF through them.

    I hear that, and DVD inserts are also one of the most worthless "features" that
    can be included. I could totally live without the "forced" trailers, although
    I certainly don't mind the three seconds it takes to fast-forward through them,
    and I absolutely will not be losing any sleep over the lack of a little piece
    of paper telling me nothing that the "chapter select" screen on the DVD tells
    me. Universal could have handled the "E.T." release a little better by being a
    little more upfront about the features on the individual releases, and they
    flat-out fucked up the "Back to the Future" sequels, "Monty Python and the
    Meaning of Life" and "Taken", but when it comes to bitching about their lack of
    inserts and their "forced" trailers, PEOPLE NEED TO FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO
    BITCH ABOUT. Jesus Christ. You don't see anybody posting about the
    reference-quality audio and video on "Hulk" but take away a piece of paper,
    make people press a button and wait three seconds and watch the fur fly.
    --------------------------------
    "That's the worst reverse-acting I've ever seen!" -Sam Raimi

    CLOSEDOWN8, Oct 30, 2003
  11. Dhas

    Machina3317 Guest

    >From: "Nick"

    >It's really annoying on a lot of R1 because u have to watch the commericals,
    >you have no choice apart from fast forwarding them. I wish they would allow
    >it so you can press "menu" button to skip the commercials
    >

    >"Dhas" <> wrote in message
    >> I purchased the Hulk even though I didn't care for the movie, I just

    >wanted
    >> to add it to my "comic book" DVD collection. I was very disappointed that
    >> the first 3 minutes is taken up by commercials for other movies - I'm

    >hoping
    >> that I can return this DVD for that reason alone, I would do without it in
    >> my collection. Anyone else annoyed by this?

    I just pressed the chapter skip button and it went straight to the main menu.

    Machina3317, Oct 30, 2003
  12. Dhas

    Wade365 Guest

    this IS a pretty small thing to bitch about... I gotta side with the "give it a
    rest" crowd (which I rarely do, I feel that if it's important to you you should
    have the right to vent).

    If the set you're talking about is a true multi-disc set like BG or a Buffy set
    or something ("Taken"? Never a better name for a Spielberg project if you ask
    me! ESPECIALLY IF YOU BUY IT) then some sort of printed guide as to what's on
    each of the 4-6 discs would be nice so that you don't have to use the chapter
    screen... but for just about any other movie, you're gonna sit and watch the
    majority of it anyway, right...

    .... well...

    .... maybe on second thought...

    .... this IS "The Hulk" we're talking about.

    : )

    Wade365, Oct 30, 2003
  13. Dhas

    Klaus Guest

    > Just backup the movie ONLY to DVD media. End of commercials and all the
    > other unnecessary, extraneous garbage.

    This is what I do. I put my original away for safe keeping but first I burn
    a DVD-R with the movie only. Nice to have the movie start right away on
    insertion.

    Klaus, Oct 30, 2003
  14. Dhas

    Rutgar Guest

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 07:34:15 GMT, mzmeryze <>
    wrote:

    >On 29 Oct 2003 18:29:21 GMT, (Wade365) wrote:
    >
    >><< I was very disappointed that
    >>> the first 3 minutes is taken up by commercials for other movies - I'm

    >>hoping
    >>> that I can return this DVD for that reason alone, I would do without it in
    >>> my collection. Anyone else annoyed by this? >>

    >>Everyone is annoyed, but I believe if you hit "Stop" duringthe commercials and
    >>then hit the menu button you can get around them... yes, it's silly to have to
    >>trick your player, but it's really better than having to sit there and FF>>
    >>thourgh them like on VHS...

    >Jesus, people. It takes a fuckin' second to FF through them.

    Yes, and it takes even less time if the fucking commercials can be
    skipped by pressing the "menu" key. It's totally assinine, that they
    disabled all of the menu keys, and chapter skip buttons.

    Moreover, not only did the commercial thing piss me off, but I didn't
    realize that I had bought the fucking Pan and Scam version until the
    movie started playing! Now, I just hope Best Buy will let me
    exchange the damn thing for the Widescreen version tomorrow.

    - Rutgar

    Rutgar, Oct 31, 2003
  15. Dhas

    Rutgar Guest

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 12:08:30 -0600, "Klaus" <>
    wrote:

    >> Just backup the movie ONLY to DVD media. End of commercials and all the
    >> other unnecessary, extraneous garbage.

    >This is what I do. I put my original away for safe keeping but first I burn
    >a DVD-R with the movie only. Nice to have the movie start right away on
    >insertion.

    Well, I do have DVD recorder, but the disks it burns (DVD-RAM/R) won't
    play on my Pioneer Elite DV-47A. Besides, it's absolutely ridiculous
    to buy a DVD, and then have to make a copy of the thing, just to watch
    it without having to sit through commercials. Even Disney DVD's
    allow you to skip the commecials by pressing "menu".

    - Rutgar

    Rutgar, Oct 31, 2003
  16. Dhas

    Justin Guest

    mzmeryze wrote on [Thu, 30 Oct 2003 07:34:15 GMT]:
    > On 29 Oct 2003 18:29:21 GMT, (Wade365) wrote:
    >
    >><< I was very disappointed that
    >>> the first 3 minutes is taken up by commercials for other movies - I'm

    >>hoping
    >>> that I can return this DVD for that reason alone, I would do without it in
    >>> my collection. Anyone else annoyed by this? >>

    >>Everyone is annoyed, but I believe if you hit "Stop" duringthe commercials and
    >>then hit the menu button you can get around them... yes, it's silly to have to
    >>trick your player, but it's really better than having to sit there and FF>>
    >>thourgh them like on VHS...

    > Jesus, people. It takes a fuckin' second to FF through them.

    every time you watch it. And in 5 years time those ads will be even less
    relevant

    Justin, Oct 31, 2003
  17. Dhas

    Scott P Guest

    On 30 Oct 2003 13:19:34 GMT, UNIST (Machina3317)
    wrote:

    >>From: "Nick"

    >>It's really annoying on a lot of R1 because u have to watch the commericals,
    >>you have no choice apart from fast forwarding them. I wish they would allow
    >>it so you can press "menu" button to skip the commercials
    >>

    >>"Dhas" <> wrote in message
    >>> I purchased the Hulk even though I didn't care for the movie, I just

    >>wanted
    >>> to add it to my "comic book" DVD collection. I was very disappointed that
    >>> the first 3 minutes is taken up by commercials for other movies - I'm

    >>hoping
    >>> that I can return this DVD for that reason alone, I would do without it in
    >>> my collection. Anyone else annoyed by this?
    >>>

    >I just pressed the chapter skip button and it went straight to the main menu.

    Your player must be magic because the Menu and Chapter Skip buttons on
    my player were disabled during the ads.

    Scott

    Scott P, Nov 1, 2003
  18. Dhas

    Scott P Guest

    wrote:

    >On 29 Oct 2003 18:29:21 GMT, (Wade365) wrote:
    >
    >><< I was very disappointed that
    >>> the first 3 minutes is taken up by commercials for other movies - I'm

    >>hoping
    >>> that I can return this DVD for that reason alone, I would do without it in
    >>> my collection. Anyone else annoyed by this? >>

    >>Everyone is annoyed, but I believe if you hit "Stop" duringthe commercials and
    >>then hit the menu button you can get around them... yes, it's silly to have to
    >>trick your player, but it's really better than having to sit there and FF>>
    >>thourgh them like on VHS...

    >Jesus, people. It takes a fuckin' second to FF through them.

    If only the button would work. On my player it's disabled during the

    Scott

    Scott P, Nov 1, 2003
  19. Dhas

    Mike McGee Guest

    In article <>, Scott P
    <> wrote:

    > If only the button would work. On my player it's disabled during the

    Hit STOP when you see the WARNING. (before the ads start)
    Then hit MENU.

    Enjoy.

    --
    Mike McGee