    specialty) Is there anyway a replacement of the disc drive should
    approach this much money?

    Mike

    Mike, Dec 2, 2005

  2. Mike

    Biz Guest

    Dont forget that its parts AND labor....and $350 wont buy you anything close
    to the better dvd players currently out..

    Pioneer DV-59
    Onkyo SP-1000
    Denon-5910

    Biz, Dec 2, 2005

  3. Mike

    k Guest

    Mike <> wrote in news:438FB1BD.5C5584F1
    @rochester.rr.com:

    > I have a family of friends that are not too new tech savvy and don't
    > have the internet.
    >
    > Roundabout year and a half ago, they got a TV/DVD player combo. When I
    > brought over a DVD to play and it wasn't working.
    >
    > They took it to a repair place and last I heard from them, it was
    > repaired at a cost of $350. The disc drive needed to be replaced.
    >
    > Now, beside the point that $350 is way more than anyone should pay for a
    > new good DVD player (unless maybe it's some sore of home theater
    > specialty) Is there anyway a replacement of the disc drive should
    > approach this much money?
    >
    > Mike

    I never sell the combos unless I have to for just that reason.

    k, Dec 2, 2005
  4. Mike

    Impmon Guest

    On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 02:24:00 GMT, Mike <> wrote:

    >Now, beside the point that $350 is way more than anyone should pay for a
    >new good DVD player (unless maybe it's some sore of home theater
    >specialty) Is there anyway a replacement of the disc drive should
    >approach this much money?

    No, at worst the actual part would come to around $50. It's the labor
    that kills. This is why I don't by combo set so if something fails
    (the DVD player for example) I can just dump it and get a new one. No
    need to put up with half working combo.
    Spam block in place, no emil reply is expected at all.

    Impmon, Dec 2, 2005
  5. Mike

    Stan Brown Guest

    Fri, 02 Dec 2005 02:24:00 GMT from Mike <>:
    > They took it to a repair place and last I heard from them, it was
    > repaired at a cost of $350. The disc drive needed to be replaced.
    >
    > Now, beside the point that $350 is way more than anyone should pay for a
    > new good DVD player (unless maybe it's some sore of home theater
    > specialty) Is there anyway a replacement of the disc drive should
    > approach this much money?

    Hard to say. The drive itself was probably under half of that, but
    servicing most electronic devices costs a fortune because they're
    really made to be thrown away when they stop working. (Yes, I think
    that's terrible.)

    On the other hand, it could be a pure ripoff.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Dec 2, 2005
  6. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I know, those are audio/videophile DVD players that my friends don't
    even begin to need (they are barely out of VHS). I knew it could be a
    lot in labor. The fact that they have to deal with a DVD player
    undernieth a TV tube couldn't help.

    I'm a component man myself, my friends like to save on space (and that
    has cost them $350).

    It's just weird I have a Pioneer 606D that I've played DVD's on
    constantly since I got it in 1999 and it hasn't needed repear (knock on
    wood) yet.

    And the DVD player they don't use nearly as much as mine goes belly up a
    little over a year.

    Mike, Dec 3, 2005
  7. Mike

    Impmon Guest

    On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 22:11:57 GMT, Mike <> wrote:

    >And the DVD player they don't use nearly as much as mine goes belly up a
    >little over a year.

    The quality seems to have degraded recently. I have a nice 3 disc DVD
    player that still works after 5 years but the last 3 DVD players I
    went through, none of them lasted a year.
    Spam block in place, no emil reply is expected at all.

    Impmon, Dec 4, 2005