    thumbnails. How can I get to the large versions (they must be there, the
    files are huge)!?

    Any help appreciated.

    kl, Nov 10, 2003

  2. kl

    Guest

    kl <> wrote:
    > I've got these 3 Mb JPEG's from a canon 300d but when I open them up in any
    > decent viewer (irfanview, et.al.) they show as very small 50Kb 160x120
    > thumbnails. How can I get to the large versions (they must be there, the
    > files are huge)!?

    How are you viewing those files? What OS and viewing software
    are you using?

    , Nov 10, 2003

  3. "kl" <> wrote in message
    > I've got these 3 Mb JPEG's from a canon 300d but when I open them up in

    any
    > decent viewer (irfanview, et.al.) they show as very small 50Kb 160x120
    > thumbnails. How can I get to the large versions (they must be there, the
    > files are huge)!?

    Did you set the camera to RAW mode before taking those shots? If a file has
    the extension CRW, open it using the Canon File Viewer Utility that came
    with your 300D. Go to File, Save File, Convert and save in file and you
    should have three conversion options.

    Charles Schuler, Nov 10, 2003
  4. kl

    Jim Townsend Guest

    kl wrote:

    > I've got these 3 Mb JPEG's from a canon 300d but when I open them up in any
    > decent viewer (irfanview, et.al.) they show as very small 50Kb 160x120
    > thumbnails. How can I get to the large versions (they must be there, the
    > files are huge)!?

    When viewing JPEG files, the thumbnails are created by your viewing software.
    It has nothing to do with the camera or file size.

    Look in the 'setup' or 'preferences' section of your software and see if you
    can increase the size of the thumbnails that are created.

    Jim Townsend, Nov 11, 2003
  5. kl

    kl Guest

    Thanks Jim, I was a bit 'beyond' this, but thanks for telling us - it might
    help someone. I'll be a bit more explanatory on the background next time.

    The issue at hand is that these large files seem to be some kind of
    proprietary jpeg-based format. It looks as if they have some multiplicy
    built in that no normal jpeg reader understands (JPEG is, by nature, not
    multipaged, as for example GIF is). Does anyone perhaps know which exotic
    vendor-specific flavour I could be dealing with here? It's not PCD
    (photoCD), an none of the usual range of tools (photoshop, irfanview,
    imagemagick, etc.) recognizes it as anything else.

    Thanks!

    PS these are photos directly from a Canon EOS 300D memory card.

    kl, Nov 11, 2003
  6. kl

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    What exactly is the file type?
    ..jpg, .crw, etc.?

    If you search Google for "File Extensions or check out:
    http://filext.com/
    Rosita

    HRosita, Nov 12, 2003
  7. kl

    Martin Brown Guest

    In message <borjki$fr2$>, kl
    <> writes

    >Thanks Jim, I was a bit 'beyond' this, but thanks for telling us - it might
    >help someone. I'll be a bit more explanatory on the background next time.
    >
    >The issue at hand is that these large files seem to be some kind of
    >proprietary jpeg-based format. It looks as if they have some multiplicy
    >built in that no normal jpeg reader understands (JPEG is, by nature, not
    >multipaged, as for example GIF is). Does anyone perhaps know which exotic
    >vendor-specific flavour I could be dealing with here? It's not PCD
    >(photoCD), an none of the usual range of tools (photoshop, irfanview,
    >imagemagick, etc.) recognizes it as anything else.

    Odd. Canon usually store their JPEG files in some flavour of Exif.

    >PS these are photos directly from a Canon EOS 300D memory card.

    And you are absolutely certain that these files are valid?
    Does the Canon supplied software read them OK?

    I'd be interested to take a look at an example file.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    >"Jim Townsend" <> wrote in message
    >> kl wrote:
    >>
    >> > I've got these 3 Mb JPEG's from a canon 300d but when I open them up in

    >any
    >> > decent viewer (irfanview, et.al.) they show as very small 50Kb 160x120
    >> > thumbnails. How can I get to the large versions (they must be there, the
    >> > files are huge)!?

    >> When viewing JPEG files, the thumbnails are created by your viewing

    >software.
    >> It has nothing to do with the camera or file size.

    It can be either. Most digicams hide a thumbnail in the header that the
    viewing software may or may not utilise. Seeing a good thumbnail is no
    guarantee that the file is valid. Opening the file is the acid test.

    A quick test to see if there is something like a valid JPEG (or
    compressed TIFF) file is to try compressing it with ZIP. If it can be
    compressed by more than about 5% then it is very probably damaged.

    Regards,
    --
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Nov 12, 2003