Huey sees 3 flicks and DOESN'T get boned, wow

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by HellPope Huey, May 29, 2005.

  1. Rented "The Aviator," the Leonard DiCaprio sendup of Howard Hughes. A
    very linear and largely honest action-bio. An especially fine cast,
    including Alan Alda as a senator. Once you simply accept that you are
    watching a dramatized exaggeration, the next step is to compare its
    shaping to what you really know. I knew a bit of Hughes' history, so I
    can say that a good job was done in showing him more or less as he COULD
    BE at times: driven, brilliant, abrasive, charming and eventually
    withered by OCD. That aspect is poignantly shown when he cannot bring
    himself to touch the doorknob that would let in a friend. Its not shown
    in a maudlin manner; it simply shows the man suffering. Its painful to
    see and you get all too close a glimpse of a serious case. All in all,
    its basically fair to him, good and bad.
    The aerial work is very fine and the scene of his horrific plane crash
    into Beverly Hills becomes increasingly excruciating to watch as it
    plays out. It feels a bit long, but its well crafted in every way and I
    didn't feel that a minute of my time was wasted.

    Finally saw "Team America." Huh, somebody grabbed FIREBALL XL5 by its
    fins and humped the hell out of its aft port. Gee, I never saw a
    marionette vomit for so long, nor had I seen one deliver a steamer to
    another's face. GREAT BREAKTHROUGH STUFF, especially when some crazy
    buttholes rammed a jeep laden with explosives into the Sphinx and blew
    its head off. Beautiful theme song as well. This fine film should be
    shown to all schoolchildren right after the God Bless America drivel.

    "The Final Cut" starring Robin Williams. SORT of sci-fi, due to the
    central story device, but otherwise a pretty good drama. The gist:
    parents can have babies implanted with a biological device that records
    their entire lives from the perspective of the first person. Upon death,
    the memory glob is given to a "cutter," who sorts through all of the
    'footage' and assembles a "rememory," which is shown at the funeral. The
    scene where he does an initial collation of a whole life's memories is
    spooky, neatly edited and dusted with just a bit of FX. Classy work.
    The problem is, the cutter sees all of the wretched, stupid, nasty,
    hateful and galling things, along with the good the survivors want
    enhanced. This includes a nasty secret Williams wrestles with when he
    realizes that one deceased client was a monster. There is rising social
    protest against the complete destruction of privacy and action for fear
    of it being put on a screen later. Several key moments open the story up
    in measured places. Williams plays the role in an almost disturbing,
    reserved manner until certain hard truths begin to sink in.
    Its semi-predictable in certain ways and not a colossal capital-F
    Film, but it IS an intriguing, classy cameo that fits well on the lapel
    of the suit of Quiet Flicks You Always Remember.

    --

    HellPope Huey ~ www.subgenius.com
    Say, what cough syrup goes best

    "I don't practice what I preach
    because I'm not the kind of person
    I'm preaching TO!"
    - J. R. "Bob" Dobbs

    There shall none of his meat be left;
    therefore shall no man look for his goods.
    - Job 20:21
    HellPope Huey, May 29, 2005

  2. Well, aren't you just the PARAGON of virtuous taste?

    Bah! Yeah, I coulda rented "House of Flying Daggers" OR because I am
    the MASTER of long-form drama viewing I could have made a good dent in
    "I, Claudius" OR I could have broken down and tried to make it through
    "Dogtown"....

    BUT NO! I hadda try to keep up with the Dobbses and watch pure,
    unadulterated CRAP.
    frater S.O.D.D.I., May 29, 2005

  3. HellPope Huey

    Quirk Guest

    HellPope Huey wrote:

    > Rented "The Aviator," the Leonard DiCaprio sendup of Howard Hughes.

    Please stop polluting alt.slack with your tedious, circular blather.
    Its so off-topic for this crowd, twelve of us have already agreed to
    grab you by the ankles and make you go spelunking for toilet fish at a
    bowling alley john if you don't quit it. Otherwise, your talking heads
    are going to wind up on a mantle in jars, just like in "Futurama."
    Quirk, May 29, 2005
  4. Dear friends,

    How are you doing?

    I am glad that your name is on the trepan mailing list. (If you don't
    want to hear anymore from us, you can reply to delete your name, and I
    apologize for the intrusion.) Allow me to introduce myself. My name is
    JAESON LEE. I am 26 years old. I live in Brazil and go to chiropractic
    school in Sao Paulo. I went to high school in NYC where my Korean
    parents still live. I'm visiting them for ninety days until the
    beginning of July and plan to stop at the clinic in Monterrey and get
    trepanned on my way back home.

    Are you happy? And are you satisfied with your life? I am not?
    Depression, anxiety and constant stress have overshadowed my life since
    I was about eighteen. I've tried almost everything to feel better:
    Yoga, acupuncture, Prozac and etc?you name it. Now I am really
    determined to get better. After long search and study, I found the
    trepan web site and I am currently on the waiting list to be trepanned.
    I am pretty sure that you've been searching for an answer like I have
    or many other people who want to get trepanned have. I am a practical
    guy. I want all advantages available. Through the engramming program,
    my own research and evidence of others who already got trepanned, I
    concluded that trepanation would help me. I'm interested in results! We
    can know things conceptually or theoretically and the experience is
    something else. I want to know the experience first hand and live with
    it as a force in my life. Maybe it could help you too. I've read some
    of your e-mails and I found that we have many things in common. Have
    you thought about feeling 10 times better than how you feel now? Then
    trepanation might do the magic. I am expecting to be feeling a lot
    better from it. I am ready to get trepanned in the next ninty days.

    At least 2 more people (10 or 100 would be OK too) are need to go down
    to Mexico to get trepanned with me. Two is all we really need for now.
    If you are really willing to get trepanned and change your life for
    better, first you have to show that you are qualified and serious about
    getting trepanned. It's been stressed to me that trepanation is not
    like getting a tattoo or an ear piercing. It's more than that. There
    are scientific bases and it is really important that everyone who wants
    to be trepanned understands the basics of the Mechanism of
    Brainbloodvolume to qualify to be trepanned. The surgeons will trepan
    only those who have completed the engramming program. Engramming gets
    you fluent in the vocabulary of brainbloodvolume. T.J., who is from
    Utah, has finished the engramming program. He and I are ready to go to
    Mexico. Peter and I discussed about how we can help you with this study
    and we made some easy steps for you to get the engramming done. It is
    easy as ABC. Just click on the link and download the Coloring Book or
    you can buy the CD-ROM for $10.00. As soon as you get the CD-ROM or
    downloaded the PDF file, you need to make 10 copies of the coloring
    book. When you have the printouts in your hands you will see that the
    engramming text has empty letters. Now all you need to do is start to
    fill in the spaces like you used to do in a painting book when you were
    a kid.

    After you are done with filling in the letters and coloring the
    diagrams, you read the text out loud for 10 times and record it on
    cassette tapes as a proof that you've finished engramming. Send your 10
    completed copies with tapes to ITAG and then you are ready to go. At
    the clinic in Mexico, they charge only $2400.00 for one who is
    qualified and there must be at least 4 persons at the same time to get
    trepanned. They will charge $3600.00 for one who is not willing to
    participate in their research and to be on camera for a pre-op and
    post-op interview. Like I mentioned before, T.J. and I have finished
    the engramming and are qualified to get trepanned. We are really
    excited about this trip. We want to publicly document our event and
    save the $1200.00 Whether we get trepanned on our time schedule is
    really dependent on you. All we need is two more qualified and
    enthusiastic people who are willing to do some homework as soon as
    possible. If you have any question about the engramming, feel free to
    ask us by sending e-mail or directly calling us up. Let's act fast and
    be motivated. Don't wait for too long. There isn't much time left on my
    visa to the states and now can be the time to change your life too. Get
    a free copy of the Coloring Book or order the CD-ROM. And feel free to
    drop us your e-mail at or you can call the ITAG
    office. The phone number is (610) 693-5044 or the fax is1-610-693-3261.
    I wish you good luck and hope to meet you in Monterrey when we all get
    trepanned. You probably have friends who'd be interested to know about
    this. You may forward this message. Are you ready for the four-day get
    away of your lifetime?

    My Best to You, Jaeson Lee
    Rev. 11D Meow!, May 30, 2005
  5. frater S.O.D.D.I. wrote:

    > Well, aren't you just the PARAGON of virtuous taste?

    Not the only one. In addition, I sometimes watch utter garbage out of
    sheer Yeti inertia. I won't drink the wine, but I chew the HELL out of
    the wafers.

    > Bah! Yeah, I coulda rented "House of Flying Daggers"

    That's an elegant piece of live-action origami. Unlike the $#@!
    Matrix, the mid-air gyration is more elegant and has the added benefit
    of being somewhat based in oriental lore, even if it is hopped up on
    goofballs. Oddly enough, the sweeping "Hero" did poorly in China. Too
    familiar, I guess. Hm, wonder how many tickets sold in CHINA is
    considered a flop? Only 7 million?

    OR because I am
    > the MASTER of long-form drama viewing I could have made a good dent in
    > "I, Claudius"

    Derek Jacobi became a personal hero after the "Father Cadfael" series.
    One episode of that is worth 10,000 kicks to the jaw in "Flying Feet of
    the Emperor's Bromodrosis."

    OR I could have broken down and tried to make it through
    > "Dogtown"....

    If a movie centers around skateboards and you watch it without having
    a gun to your temple, up yours.

    > BUT NO! I hadda try to keep up with the Dobbses and watch pure,
    > unadulterated CRAP.

    Yes. What's your point? Its what we CAME for, right? Okay then.

    HellPope Huey, May 30, 2005
  6. HellPope Huey wrote:

    > Oddly enough, the sweeping "Hero" did poorly in China. Too
    > familiar, I guess. Hm, wonder how many tickets sold in CHINA is
    > considered a flop? Only 7 million?

    It's odd, because the denoument of the "Hero" being loyal to even a
    bloodthirsty tyrant if it was good for the unification of China looked
    like a real nod to mainland Chinese political sentiments (and censors).
    I think it was written that way for that reason.

    > OR I could have broken down and tried to make it through
    > > "Dogtown"....

    > If a movie centers around skateboards and you watch it without having
    > a gun to your temple, up yours.

    Do you see how STUPID I have become? I meant Lars von Trier's
    "Dogville". It WAS on my short list.

    But now I am fit only to await tonight's episode of "Robot Chicken".

    Ten-second toy animation FUNNY.

    Ha ha, I stupid.

    (However, earlier this week I was able to re-watch a good chunk of "My
    Best Fiend", Herzog's love/hate elegy to Klaus Kinski - documentary.
    Both of 'em crazier than 9 motherfuckers, despite Herzog's depiction of
    Kinski as the loonier of the two. I think the correct phrase is "folie
    a deux". HIGHLY recommended.)
    frater S.O.D.D.I., May 30, 2005
  7. On Sun, 29 May 2005 23:56:36 GMT, HellPope Huey
    <> wrote:

    >OR because I am
    >> the MASTER of long-form drama viewing I could have made a good dent in
    >> "I, Claudius"

    > Derek Jacobi became a personal hero after the "Father Cadfael" series.
    >One episode of that is worth 10,000 kicks to the jaw in "Flying Feet of
    >the Emperor's Bromodrosis."

    Cadfael was a Benedictine Monk, a "Brother" of the religious
    Fraternity or Order. He was not a member of any church. Only the
    chief and assistant ministers of a Church can be called "Father."

    .. Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), May 30, 2005
  8. "HellPope Huey" <> wrote in message
    > frater S.O.D.D.I. wrote:
    >
    > OR because I am
    > > the MASTER of long-form drama viewing I could have made a good dent in
    > > "I, Claudius"

    > Derek Jacobi became a personal hero after the "Father Cadfael" series.
    > One episode of that is worth 10,000 kicks to the jaw in "Flying Feet of
    > the Emperor's Bromodrosis."

    "I, Claudius" did it for me as far as Derek Jacobi goes, but I reached the
    same conclusion as you, and he made the "Father Cadfael" series a real
    treat.

    Some years back I was channel-surfing, going as far as checking out channels
    I usually ignore, and there Mr. Jacobi was on CSPAN! He was addressing a
    meeting of the Washington Press Club. That was nice to watch. He ended up
    giving the Club a framed "I, Claudius" promo sheet.

    Paul
    Paul E. Jamison, May 30, 2005
  9. On Sun, 29 May 2005 22:50:38 -0500, "Paul E. Jamison"
    <> wrote:

    >"HellPope Huey" <> wrote in message
    >> frater S.O.D.D.I. wrote:
    >>
    >> OR because I am
    >> > the MASTER of long-form drama viewing I could have made a good dent in
    >> > "I, Claudius"

    >> Derek Jacobi became a personal hero after the "Father Cadfael" series.
    >> One episode of that is worth 10,000 kicks to the jaw in "Flying Feet of
    >> the Emperor's Bromodrosis."
    >>

    >"I, Claudius" did it for me as far as Derek Jacobi goes, but I reached the
    >same conclusion as you, and he made the "Father Cadfael" series a real
    >treat.

    Jacobi did the talking book of The Iliad -- it's tremendous, though it
    helps if you use it for long walks.

    John harkness
    John Harkness, May 30, 2005
  10. On Sun, 29 May 2005 22:50:38 -0500, "Paul E. Jamison"
    <> wrote:

    >"HellPope Huey" <> wrote in message
    >> frater S.O.D.D.I. wrote:
    >>
    >> OR because I am
    >> > the MASTER of long-form drama viewing I could have made a good dent in
    >> > "I, Claudius"

    >> Derek Jacobi became a personal hero after the "Father Cadfael" series.
    >> One episode of that is worth 10,000 kicks to the jaw in "Flying Feet of
    >> the Emperor's Bromodrosis."

    As I noted to Huey, It's "Brother Cadfael" not "Father." Cadfael, as
    a monk and not a church minister, could not be called a Father. In
    fact in one of the books a youngster calls Cadfael "Father" and
    Cadfael humbly corrects him.

    ... Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), May 30, 2005
  11. HellPope Huey

    Assco Guest

    Another tentacle up for The Aviator.
    That may finally be the Scorsesse Best Pic/Director Oscar(TM) winner.
    Alda makes for a great shitheel senator.
    10:1 odds that Cate Blanchett will make
    G. Gordon Gordon's tescticles twitch.
    Di Caprio's dad does comix, so he's
    okay too.
    Assco, May 30, 2005
  12. In article <>,
    "frater S.O.D.D.I." <> wrote:

    > Do you see how STUPID I have become? I meant Lars von Trier's
    > "Dogville". It WAS on my short list.
    > But now I am fit only to await tonight's episode of "Robot Chicken".
    > Ten-second toy animation FUNNY.

    Its either a very good thing or a very BAD one that I can still be made
    to laugh at a robot repeatedly slamming his crotchal area into a dryer
    in an obscene representation of the act of Luv. Its so stupid, you'd
    almost think Dobbs came up with it.

    --

    HellPope Huey
    About 5 times more than you'd imagine

    An egoist can be won over by being respected;
    a crazy person can be won over
    by allowing him to behave in an insane manner;
    and a wise person can be won over by truth.
    - Chanakya

    "Your mother's never home;
    she plays the saxophone,
    while you just lick your stamp."
    - "Cafe Flesh"
    HellPope Huey, May 30, 2005
  13. In article <>,
    "Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 29 May 2005 23:56:36 GMT, HellPope Huey
    > <> wrote:

    > > Derek Jacobi became a personal hero after the "Father Cadfael" series.
    > >One episode of that is worth 10,000 kicks to the jaw in "Flying Feet of
    > >the Emperor's Bromodrosis."

    > Cadfael was a Benedictine Monk, a "Brother" of the religious
    > Fraternity or Order. He was not a member of any church. Only the
    > chief and assistant ministers of a Church can be called "Father."

    I stand corrected. Mea culpa; a mere brain-fart. No, wait, its not me.
    I blame the pills, the doctors and Society. Being a medicinal botanist,
    I'll bet Cadfael could have gotten you as high as kite, but please, no
    more belladonna.

    HellPope Huey, May 30, 2005
  14. In article <>,
    "Assco" <> wrote:

    > 10:1 odds that Cate Blanchett will make
    > G. Gordon Gordon's tescticles twitch.

    If she does, we'll know about it. Those goddamned things are made of
    copper alloy and ring like bells when they clang together.

    HellPope Huey, May 30, 2005
  15. "Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in message

    > As I noted to Huey, It's "Brother Cadfael" not "Father." Cadfael, as
    > a monk and not a church minister, could not be called a Father. In
    > fact in one of the books a youngster calls Cadfael "Father" and
    > Cadfael humbly corrects him.

    I, too, admit a mistake and stand corrected.

    Father Cadfael, Brother Cadfael - still good stuff.

    Paul
    Paul E. Jamison, May 31, 2005
  16. HellPope Huey

    Zapanaz Guest

    Rev Zapanaz sees 1 flick and DOES get boned

    GAHHHHHH I AM SO SICK OF YOING YOING YOING-WIRE MOVIES

    I started watching "House of flying daggers" and made it about 14
    minutes into it.

    Right up to the point that the blind girl touches her rescuer's leg
    and says "you have mastered the flying technique!"

    What really kills me about these movies is that I am SO NEARLY in love
    with them.

    I love almost everything about them. The fighting, the exotic times
    and locations, the magnificent filming, the gorgeous locations, the
    beuatiful costumes, everything.

    But then they have to go YOING YOING YOING and go flying through the
    air and everybody in the movie has these preternatural powers.

    Don't they GET how powerful these movies would be if they just stuck a
    little closer to reality?

    Before the first of the really succesful yoingyoingyoing wire movies,
    what were the most popular martial arts movies in HISTORY? BRUCE LEE.
    And what made his movies so exciting was the (relative) REALISM of
    them.

    I think it's axiomatic of the cinematic art, of any art form, really,
    that the first and foremost thing is to get the audience to enter the
    world of the production. This requires though that they be able to
    suspend disbelief.

    Fantasy is all OK, in fact I know there are people who would prefer
    the yoingyoingyoing magic of the last few year's Chinese movies to a
    more realist approach. I don't mean to sound AGAINST that.

    I suppose the fact that I have some background in both martial arts
    and occult stuff that it really bothers me. It's all the worst myths
    jammed together in one little clown car.

    It's certainly hard to argue with success. The films have been hugely
    succesful and profitable.

    I would bet you though (although there would never be any way to
    validate the bet) that if they had taken precisely the same stories,
    in precisely the same era, the same filming, actors, costuming,
    everything, and made the one exclusive change of drawing everything
    down a little bit into the realistic, the films would have been that
    much more gripping, and ultimately that much more succesful.

    --
    Zapanaz
    International Satanic Conspiracy

    ~AbbessAbyss~
    Zapanaz, May 31, 2005
  17. Re: Rev Zapanaz sees 1 flick and DOES get boned

    Zapanaz wrote:

    > GAHHHHHH I AM SO SICK OF YOING YOING YOING-WIRE MOVIES
    >
    > Before the first of the really succesful yoingyoingyoing
    > wire movies, what were the most popular martial arts
    > movies in HISTORY? BRUCE LEE. And what made his movies
    > so exciting was the (relative) REALISM of them.

    You want the ultimate in realism in a martial arts movie?

    "Kill the Golden Goose", with both Master Ed Parker *and*
    Bong Soo Han in it. Very hard to find.

    Parker insisted on using his Kenpo style straight, which
    is known for both its "fast hands" in close range in-
    fighting and its relative energy conservation. So you
    can't *see* Parker hit his student-extras (no ordinary
    stuntman could handle it without serious injury) about
    15 times in three seconds. He walks up to them and his
    shoulders move a bunch and they die. He used real
    techniques, BTW.

    They tried to mitigate it by having Han look at their
    supposed cadavers in the morgue after, and pointing out
    that Parker had mangled the **** out of them, but the
    audience really couldn't see it.

    They also needed a bunch more fight scenes in the movie,
    but que sera. Nice bit with Parker sticking a fork in
    a guy's neck, though.

    --
    Be Sure To Visit the 'SubGenius Reverend' Blog:
    http://slackoff.blogspot.com/
    nu-monet v7.0, May 31, 2005
  18. HellPope Huey

    Zapanaz Guest

    Re: Rev Zapanaz sees 1 flick and DOES get boned

    On Mon, 30 May 2005 20:46:46 -0700, "nu-monet v7.0"
    <> wrote:

    >Zapanaz wrote:
    >>
    >> GAHHHHHH I AM SO SICK OF YOING YOING YOING-WIRE MOVIES
    >>
    >> Before the first of the really succesful yoingyoingyoing
    >> wire movies, what were the most popular martial arts
    >> movies in HISTORY? BRUCE LEE. And what made his movies
    >> so exciting was the (relative) REALISM of them.

    >You want the ultimate in realism in a martial arts movie?
    >
    >"Kill the Golden Goose", with both Master Ed Parker *and*
    >Bong Soo Han in it. Very hard to find.
    >
    >Parker insisted on using his Kenpo style straight, which
    >is known for both its "fast hands" in close range in-
    >fighting and its relative energy conservation. So you
    >can't *see* Parker hit his student-extras (no ordinary
    >stuntman could handle it without serious injury) about
    >15 times in three seconds. He walks up to them and his
    >shoulders move a bunch and they die. He used real
    >techniques, BTW.
    >
    >They tried to mitigate it by having Han look at their
    >supposed cadavers in the morgue after, and pointing out
    >that Parker had mangled the **** out of them, but the
    >audience really couldn't see it.
    >
    >They also needed a bunch more fight scenes in the movie,
    >but que sera. Nice bit with Parker sticking a fork in
    >a guy's neck, though.

    Thanks much!

    I mean that is more "Faces of Death Kung-Fu Style" than what I was
    trying to advocate, but I am definitely going to find that one.

    --
    Zapanaz
    International Satanic Conspiracy
    Customer Support Specialist
    http://joecosby.com/
    Are you a cop? Freddie Mercury called; he wants his mustache back
    Zapanaz, May 31, 2005
  19. Re: Rev Zapanaz sees 1 flick and DOES get boned

    Zapanaz wrote:
    > GAHHHHHH I AM SO SICK OF YOING YOING YOING-WIRE MOVIES
    >
    > I started watching "House of flying daggers" and made it about 14
    > minutes into it.
    >
    > Right up to the point that the blind girl touches her rescuer's leg
    > and says "you have mastered the flying technique!"
    >
    > What really kills me about these movies is that I am SO NEARLY in love
    > with them.
    >
    > I love almost everything about them. The fighting, the exotic times
    > and locations, the magnificent filming, the gorgeous locations, the
    > beuatiful costumes, everything.
    >
    > But then they have to go YOING YOING YOING and go flying through the
    > air and everybody in the movie has these preternatural powers.
    >
    > Don't they GET how powerful these movies would be if they just stuck a
    > little closer to reality?
    >
    > Before the first of the really succesful yoingyoingyoing wire movies,
    > what were the most popular martial arts movies in HISTORY? BRUCE LEE.
    > And what made his movies so exciting was the (relative) REALISM of
    > them.
    >
    > I think it's axiomatic of the cinematic art, of any art form, really,
    > that the first and foremost thing is to get the audience to enter the
    > world of the production. This requires though that they be able to
    > suspend disbelief.
    >
    > Fantasy is all OK, in fact I know there are people who would prefer
    > the yoingyoingyoing magic of the last few year's Chinese movies to a
    > more realist approach. I don't mean to sound AGAINST that.
    >
    > I suppose the fact that I have some background in both martial arts
    > and occult stuff that it really bothers me. It's all the worst myths
    > jammed together in one little clown car.
    >
    > It's certainly hard to argue with success. The films have been hugely
    > succesful and profitable.
    >
    > I would bet you though (although there would never be any way to
    > validate the bet) that if they had taken precisely the same stories,
    > in precisely the same era, the same filming, actors, costuming,
    > everything, and made the one exclusive change of drawing everything
    > down a little bit into the realistic, the films would have been that
    > much more gripping, and ultimately that much more succesful.

    I definitely understand your point. That shit is my least favorite of
    movies that I otherwise love ("Hero", "CTHD").

    Have you tried the first 3 "Once Upon a Time in China" movies? The
    fantasy martial arts stuff is really amazing, but isn't so fantastical
    that it's beyond belief... in "3" the big battle is a Lion Dance (with
    the big flappy dragon heads) combat number UP a 30-odd foot scaffold.
    Jet Li is pretty amazing in those.

    Or, just go for the total fantasy and rent "Legend of Zan".
    frater S.O.D.D.I., May 31, 2005
  20. On Mon, 30 May 2005 18:38:22 -0500, "Paul E. Jamison"
    <> wrote:

    >"Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> As I noted to Huey, It's "Brother Cadfael" not "Father." Cadfael, as
    >> a monk and not a church minister, could not be called a Father. In
    >> fact in one of the books a youngster calls Cadfael "Father" and
    >> Cadfael humbly corrects him.
    >>

    >I, too, admit a mistake and stand corrected.
    >
    >Father Cadfael, Brother Cadfael - still good stuff.

    Yes, and grounded in historical fact. Herbs were used for healing,
    the abbey existed (and exists as ruins), the war of the Crowns was as
    depicted, the geography was accurate, and even the name of the sheriff
    is taken from census records. My Father was born and raised in
    Montgomery, a few miles Northwest of Shrewsbury. I've read all the
    books but only ever watched one of the TV movies.

    >Paul

    .. Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), May 31, 2005