HTPC DVD playback advantages

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by eNo, Oct 2, 2003.

  1. eNo

    eNo Guest

    I recently built a Home Theater PC (HTPC) and one of the benefits I am
    enjoying--and which I hadn't expected--is enhanced DVD playback. I play my
    DVDs onto an HDTV set, and here are 2 advantages I have found:

    1) No layer transition: for the first time in my DVD viewing life, I am not
    experiencing that obligatory halt in the middle of my favorite movie.
    Apparently, a combination of the DVD player software, OS and DVD ROM
    hardware give this benefit.

    2) Better than progressive scan display: whereas progressive scan players
    produce 480p (progressive) output, I am actually outputting 540p from my
    HTPC, and could even go as high as 1080i with a tweak here and there. The
    DVD software decodes the 480 material as 480p, and the video card/drivers
    then up-convert the signal to 540p, the custom resolution running during DVD
    playback on my HTPC for compatibility with my HDTV set.

    All very cool, and as I noted, unexpected when I first embarked on this HTPC
    project--which was really meant primarily to produce an HDTV set-top-box.
    Anyway, just wanted to report this here in case others are interested. I've
    been out of the loop on DVD technology for a while, so I was wondering
    whether others have achieved similar results with non-PC DVD players.

    --
    eNo
    "Why am I here?"

    eNo, Oct 2, 2003

  2. eNo

    Kram Sacul Guest

    Head on down to the AVS forum to discuss the befefits of playback on a
    computer and seeing dvd at it's best.

    http://www.avsforum.com

    Kram Sacul, Oct 4, 2003

  3. eNo

    Mark Spatny Guest

    eNo, says...
    > 2) Better than progressive scan display: whereas progressive scan players
    > produce 480p (progressive) output, I am actually outputting 540p from my
    > HTPC, and could even go as high as 1080i with a tweak here and there. The
    > DVD software decodes the 480 material as 480p, and the video card/drivers
    > then up-convert the signal to 540p, the custom resolution running during DVD
    > playback on my HTPC for compatibility with my HDTV set.

    Don't kid yourself here. Upconverting doesn't give you better resolution
    or more detail, just more pixels. A 480p signal upoconverted to 1080i
    will still look like crap compared to a native 1080i HD image.

    Mark Spatny, Oct 4, 2003