    HTML, option to cancel or continue. What's causing this, please? The
    settings do not change.
    Silvabod.
    Silvabod, Oct 5, 2005

  2. Silvabod

    Gordon Guest

    "Silvabod" <> wrote in message
    news:fBQ0f.433$
    > XP/SP2Home, OE6, with all critical updates automatically loaded (and
    > no errors)
    >
    > In OE6 settings, I have "mail" as HTML, "news" as Plain Text, advanced
    > setting Uencode - both mail and news on 12pt Arial.
    >
    > Occasionally, when replying to a post, I get a warning that ng may
    > not like HTML, option to cancel or continue. What's causing this,
    > please? The settings do not change.
    > Silvabod.

    You are replying to a post that has been composed in HTML.
    Gordon, Oct 5, 2005

  3. In news:fBQ0f.433$, "Silvabod"
    <> wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > XP/SP2Home, OE6, with all critical updates automatically loaded (and
    > no errors)
    >
    > In OE6 settings, I have "mail" as HTML, "news" as Plain Text, advanced
    > setting Uencode - both mail and news on 12pt Arial.
    >
    > Occasionally, when replying to a post, I get a warning that ng may not
    > like HTML, option to cancel or continue. What's causing this, please?
    > The settings do not change.
    > Silvabod.

    Make sure that under Tools>Options>Send that "Reply to messages using the
    format in which they were sent." is NOT checked.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    May 4 psychic engineers release genetically-mutated animals in your
    The Old Sourdough, Oct 5, 2005
  4. Silvabod

    Mitch Guest

    In article <fBQ0f.433$>, Silvabod
    <> wrote:

    > In OE6 settings, I have "mail" as HTML, "news" as Plain Text, advanced
    > setting Uencode - both mail and news on 12pt Arial.

    You shouldn't allow HTML to load in any incoming mail (you also
    shouldn't be using the 'preview pane').
    For almost everybody, sending HTML is pointless, too -- do you actually
    use the added formatting features, and do they really add to your
    message? (I would say they don't add anything no matter what.)
    Mitch, Oct 5, 2005
  5. Silvabod

    Silvabod Guest

    Thanks, Gordon, Old SD and Mitch - have corrected the "untick" in "reply
    using format sent", which I had overlooked (now I know that over-rides the
    format setting).
    Not sure about the HTML in incoming messages, to date have had no probs (and
    am pretty secure) - would you expand on thw "why not"? please
    Silvabod

    Silvabod, Oct 5, 2005
  6. Silvabod

    Mike Easter Guest

    Silvabod wrote:

    > Thanks, Gordon, Old SD and Mitch - have corrected the "untick" in
    > "reply using format sent", which I had overlooked (now I know that
    > over-rides the format setting).

    That post's sentence which was topposted over your own untrimmed
    original message should have been contextualized in a reply so as to
    make a conversation which included the Old Sourdough instruction cited
    just below advising to uncheck reply using format sent just above this
    reply of yours..

    <Old Sourdough> Make sure that under Tools>Options>Send that "Reply to
    messages using the format in which they were sent." is NOT checked.

    > Not sure about the HTML in incoming messages, to date have had no
    > probs (and am pretty secure) - would you expand on thw "why not"?
    > please

    This remark and question request should have been positioned underneath
    the Mitch remark you were talking about. The positioning and trimming
    should be 'contextualizing' your posts so that each makes sense and
    isn't isolated and addressing 'nothing'.

    By positioning your words under his, they make more sense...

    <Mitch> You shouldn't allow HTML to load in any incoming mail (you also
    shouldn't be using the 'preview pane').

    <Silvabod> Not sure about the HTML in incoming messages, to date have
    had no probs (and am pretty secure) - would you expand on thw "why not"?
    please

    .... except that it doesn't look like what I've posted above when you use
    your newsreader correctly to create the cite or quote marks.

    Also, if you trim and contextualize it makes it possible for Mitch to
    continue the/his conversation in an ongoing trimmed and contextualized
    fashion.

    See this link http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/nquote.html Quoting
    Style in Newsgroup Postings

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Oct 5, 2005
  7. Silvabod

    Mitch Guest

    In article <JPX0f.14703$>, Silvabod
    <> wrote:

    > Not sure about the HTML in incoming messages, to date have had no probs (and
    > am pretty secure) - would you expand on thw "why not"? please

    It's simple --
    when you load HTML, it gets the images from the SENDER'S SERVER.
    So all they have to do is create a unique URL for your message, include
    a tiny little nothing graphic you wouldn't even notice, and as soon as
    your mail software loads that message they get a notice that you opened
    it (because that particular image URL was requested, you see).

    There are all kinds of potential hazards in this, some of which may not
    even be used, or not in the way they are most dangerous. At minimum,
    they verified that your address works, and you open spam. They learn a
    little bit more about you, like your OS and current IP address. In one
    more step, they could load a cookie to help track your Web site visits,
    or even install spyware onto your system.

    From the opposite perspective, there's little reason to allow HTML
    and newsletters you have permitted from retailers or companies). You
    don't have to wait for the garbage to load. And in all mail program I
    know of, it's simple to load the parts for messages you would like to
    see. It's a simple button in my reader, which appears only for HTML
    messages that have stuff to load yet.
    Mitch, Oct 5, 2005
  8. Silvabod

    Silvabod Guest

    Thanks Mitch - clear simple explanation. I will edit OE setup to accept
    plain text only, now I understand why!
    Silvabod.

    Silvabod, Oct 6, 2005