    Think it's possible?

    Thanks,

    Tom.

    Tom, Sep 21, 2005

  2. Tom

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2005-09-21, Tom <> wrote:
    > Hey guys,
    >
    > I was wondering if any of you knew if it was possible to make text wrap
    > every -n- characters in a line; just like the Plain Text Wrapping, under
    > Options -> Mail Format -> Internet Format.
    >
    > Think it's possible?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Tom.

    You could try setting a 'fixed width' font. But the settings on the
    recipient's software may well over-ride your formatting - eg, by displaying
    the HTML as raw text, or by directing your message unread into the void on
    the basis that HTML = spam nearly every time.

    If your intended recipient is amenable to coping with HTML in e-mails, ask
    them what software and 'fonts' they have installed, and what their screen
    resolution is, and then use the same yourself, otherwise they may not see
    what you see anyway.

    If you want to make assumptions about the width of the 'window' in which
    your message will be read, you could set a right margin and use 'justified'
    line-wrap, as you would in a word-processor for paper output.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Sep 21, 2005

  3. Tom

    Tom Guest

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:43:23 +0100, Whiskers <>
    wrote:

    | On 2005-09-21, Tom <> wrote:
    | > Hey guys,
    | >
    | > I was wondering if any of you knew if it was possible to make text wrap
    | > every -n- characters in a line; just like the Plain Text Wrapping, under
    | > Options -> Mail Format -> Internet Format.
    | >
    | > Think it's possible?
    | >
    | > Thanks,
    | >
    | > Tom.
    |
    | You could try setting a 'fixed width' font. But the settings on the
    | recipient's software may well over-ride your formatting - eg, by displaying
    | the HTML as raw text, or by directing your message unread into the void on
    | the basis that HTML = spam nearly every time.
    |
    | If your intended recipient is amenable to coping with HTML in e-mails, ask
    | them what software and 'fonts' they have installed, and what their screen
    | resolution is, and then use the same yourself, otherwise they may not see
    | what you see anyway.
    |
    | If you want to make assumptions about the width of the 'window' in which
    | your message will be read, you could set a right margin and use 'justified'
    | line-wrap, as you would in a word-processor for paper output.

    Thanks, Whiskers

    I might have misunderstood you or vice versa; even if I used a fixed
    width font, with HTML I'd just be writing on and on, and the line
    wouldn't change until I get to the edge of the screen. (I am aware that
    depending on the resolution, the line break would take place elsewhere.)

    Having no text wrapping at all would not be a problem if I wouldn't
    enter new lines manually (by pressing the Enter key). But since I do,
    the text on the recipient might get distorted, having for example a
    sentence break in the middle, where there's only one word in a line.

    For example, your usenet client breaks a line every 75 characters or so.
    I want to have the same effect with HTML text in Outlook

    Tom, Sep 21, 2005
  4. Tom

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2005-09-21, Tom <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:43:23 +0100, Whiskers <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >| On 2005-09-21, Tom <> wrote:
    >| > Hey guys,
    >| >
    >| > I was wondering if any of you knew if it was possible to make text wrap
    >| > every -n- characters in a line; just like the Plain Text Wrapping, under
    >| > Options -> Mail Format -> Internet Format.
    >| >
    >| > Think it's possible?
    >| >
    >| > Thanks,
    >| >
    >| > Tom.
    >|
    >| You could try setting a 'fixed width' font. But the settings on the
    >| recipient's software may well over-ride your formatting - eg, by displaying
    >| the HTML as raw text, or by directing your message unread into the void on
    >| the basis that HTML = spam nearly every time.
    >|
    >| If your intended recipient is amenable to coping with HTML in e-mails, ask
    >| them what software and 'fonts' they have installed, and what their screen
    >| resolution is, and then use the same yourself, otherwise they may not see
    >| what you see anyway.
    >|
    >| If you want to make assumptions about the width of the 'window' in which
    >| your message will be read, you could set a right margin and use 'justified'
    >| line-wrap, as you would in a word-processor for paper output.
    >
    > Thanks, Whiskers
    >
    > I might have misunderstood you or vice versa; even if I used a fixed
    > width font, with HTML I'd just be writing on and on, and the line
    > wouldn't change until I get to the edge of the screen. (I am aware that
    > depending on the resolution, the line break would take place elsewhere.)
    >
    > Having no text wrapping at all would not be a problem if I wouldn't
    > enter new lines manually (by pressing the Enter key). But since I do,
    > the text on the recipient might get distorted, having for example a
    > sentence break in the middle, where there's only one word in a line.
    >
    > For example, your usenet client breaks a line every 75 characters or so.
    > I want to have the same effect with HTML text in Outlook

    Does the 'formatting' in Outlook include a setting for a 'right margin'?
    If so, then using a 'fixed width' font of 10cpi and a right margin of 7.5
    inches (or left margin of 1 inch and right margin of 8.5 inches, etc) will
    wrap the text at 75 characters - at least, on your display it will; if your
    recipient has the same font as you used, available in the same size, then
    he will see the word-wrap just the same way as you do - if he uses the same
    software and has no personal settings to over-ride your 'formatting'.

    Typing a 'return' in your text forces a 'new paragraph'; that is not
    recommended as a way to force a line wrap. That's what the margins are for
    in a word processor. 'Outlook' is a time-management program with an e-mail
    component, so perhaps its HTML isn't that sophisticated.

    E-mail and HTML do not mix well. If it's important to you that your
    recipient sees something as similar as possible to what you intend, send it
    as an attachment in 'portable document format' (.pdf file for Windows
    users). The word processor and spreadsheet components of 'Open Office' can
    both 'export' files in that format. PDF readers are available freely for
    most operating systems.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Sep 21, 2005
  5. Tom

    Tom Guest

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 20:43:57 +0100, Whiskers <>
    wrote:

    | Does the 'formatting' in Outlook include a setting for a 'right margin'?
    | If so, then using a 'fixed width' font of 10cpi and a right margin of 7.5
    | inches (or left margin of 1 inch and right margin of 8.5 inches, etc) will
    | wrap the text at 75 characters - at least, on your display it will; if your
    | recipient has the same font as you used, available in the same size, then
    | he will see the word-wrap just the same way as you do - if he uses the same
    | software and has no personal settings to over-ride your 'formatting'.
    |
    | Typing a 'return' in your text forces a 'new paragraph'; that is not
    | recommended as a way to force a line wrap. That's what the margins are for
    | in a word processor. 'Outlook' is a time-management program with an e-mail
    | component, so perhaps its HTML isn't that sophisticated.
    |
    | E-mail and HTML do not mix well. If it's important to you that your
    | recipient sees something as similar as possible to what you intend, send it
    | as an attachment in 'portable document format' (.pdf file for Windows
    | users). The word processor and spreadsheet components of 'Open Office' can
    | both 'export' files in that format. PDF readers are available freely for
    | most operating systems.

    Thanks.

    Tom, Sep 28, 2005