    I heard it can be that some browsers can add a %20 properly, and some
    cant, im curious to this info as to what browsers this can ocour on.,
    thanks.

    Edison Carter, Sep 30, 2003

  2. > A website that I went to, i clicked on a small thumbnail image for the
    > larger image gave me a 404 not found, i told the webmaster and he said
    > it worked fine for him and he had someone else try it and it worked,
    > but i had someone try and it 404'd for them also..
    >
    > the thumbnail was linked to a jpg with spaces in the directory and
    > filename.. i know that has to be the problem, but whats the cause.?
    >
    > I heard it can be that some browsers can add a %20 properly, and some
    > cant, im curious to this info as to what browsers this can ocour on.,
    > thanks.

    It is easier if you don't put spaces in file names... use the under score _
    instead.

    Its not just the browser but also the server.... ie Windows and Linux
    servers handle that differently

    http://quantum.2ya.com/email.htm

    Bebop & Rocksteady, Sep 30, 2003

  3. Edison Carter

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 06:50:28 GMT, Edison Carter wrote:

    >Got a question.
    >
    >A website that I went to, i clicked on a small thumbnail image for the
    >larger image gave me a 404 not found, i told the webmaster and he said

    <snip>
    >the thumbnail was linked to a jpg with spaces in the directory and
    >filename.. i know that has to be the problem, but whats the cause.?
    >
    >I heard it can be that some browsers can add a %20 properly, and some
    >cant, im curious to this info as to what browsers this can ocour on.,
    >thanks.

    A bit tricky without the URL to try in the multiple browsers here.
    Otherwise had no problems.

    Saying that it's safer to avoid
    spaces
    _ - underscore
    AFilenameLikeThis

    Depends what's going on, it's a path / filename generated from a
    database then the text forming the URL needs encoded (for spaces and
    other characters) .

    A bit of a long read (there may well be a newer version)
    http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1738.txt
    Abstract

    This document specifies a Uniform Resource Locator (URL), the syntax
    and semantics of formalized information for location and access of
    resources via the Internet.

    You will most likely find allowed URL characters are more limited than
    HTTP (I think I mean it that way around) so the rules are a bit more
    strict. But some browsers may well relax the rule/spec and allow a wider
    range of characters.

    http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt
    3.2.3 URI Comparison

    Me

    why?, Sep 30, 2003
  4. Edison Carter

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Edison Carter said:

    > Got a question.
    >
    > A website that I went to, i clicked on a small thumbnail image for the
    > larger image gave me a 404 not found, i told the webmaster and he said
    > it worked fine for him and he had someone else try it and it worked,
    > but i had someone try and it 404'd for them also..

    IE shouldn't be a problem, and I found that it was only a problem when people
    used Nutscrape.
    As you don't give a URL or example of his html, I can only guess that he may
    possibly not be surrounding links withdouble-quotes when a file name contains
    space.

    Brian H¹©, Sep 30, 2003