html - pearl help

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by johny reb, Nov 21, 2006.

  1. johny reb

    johny reb Guest

    johny reb, Nov 21, 2006

  2. On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 19:51:18 -0800, %n wrote:

    > I am making a web site that has a forum in it. the path to my script
    > is http://www.thehvacmedic.com/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl
    >
    > How do I code my html so that it is something like
    > http://www.thehvacmedic.com/forum I do not want users to see the
    > cgi-bin or script name in the url.
    >
    > Thanks

    Remove the "blah.pl" from the url. Create an index.html which immediately
    redirects to the perl script. The url need not have any associated
    filename, since index.html (or whatever your server is set up for) is the
    default when entering that directory. That way, users see nothing about
    what they're getting into ... which is both good (from your point of view)
    and bad (from theirs), since you could be hiding nasties and they wouldn't
    be aware of it until it's too late.

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Pomona, CA * 34.074630N 117.754195W
    knotgary at knotdonavan dot org http : // www.donavan.org

    Gary G. Taylor, Nov 21, 2006

  3. johny reb

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 19:51:18 -0800, johny reb wrote:

    It's perl, at least get that correct first.

    >I am making a web site that has a forum in it. the path to my script
    >is http://www.thehvacmedic.com/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl

    Oh not you again..... working from new messages to older.

    >How do I code my html so that it is something like

    It's not an HTML issue.

    >http://www.thehvacmedic.com/forum I do not want users to see the
    >cgi-bin or script name in the url.

    Your URL is going from 1 location on the server to another, soulds like
    you need to create an alias - forum to point to cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl

    Apach server has mod_rewrite which does exactly that.

    Maybe you want it to look like
    http://www.eblah.com/forum/m-1164084525/
    in which you havce asked the same question in the E-Blah user group and
    had the same answer, oddly enough 1 comment also says to see the install
    docs, which of course you did before asking.

    Me

    why?, Nov 21, 2006
  4. johny reb

    Plato Guest