    can this be described to html or how could I word it to get a google hit?

    thanks

    Brett
    Brett, Oct 10, 2004

  2. Brett

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Brett said the following on 10/10/2004 22:38:
    > is there a way to described in html link that renames save file?
    >
    > I have a file titled '44' not .xxx to say, jpg or avi, i want it
    > downloaded to a file titled '128_character sounds of the sea.wav'
    >
    > can this be described to html or how could I word it to get a google hit?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Brett

    Ugh you have me confused here what are you actually attempting to do.
    Collector_NZ, Oct 10, 2004

  3. Brett

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 22:41:36 +1300, in message
    <>, Collector_NZ wrote:

    > Brett said the following on 10/10/2004 22:38:
    > > is there a way to described in html link that renames save file?
    > >
    > > I have a file titled '44' not .xxx to say, jpg or avi, i want it
    > > downloaded to a file titled '128_character sounds of the sea.wav'
    > >
    > > can this be described to html or how could I word it to get a google hit?

    Not in HTML, AFAIK.

    You should be able to do something via the HTTP headers
    (if you can set HTTP headers).

    See section 19.5.1 of RFC2616 "Hypertext Transfer Protocol -- HTTP/1.1"
    http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt

    Or see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q260519
    (the same method)

    > > thanks
    > >
    > > Brett

    > Ugh you have me confused here what are you actually attempting to do.

    I don't quite know why the OP doesn't jut rename the file '44' to
    '128_character sounds of the sea.wav' and then upload it to the OP's
    website as '128_character sounds of the sea.wav'.

    1. Maybe the OP has up to 100 different files named '00' through '99',
    all of which the OP wants to be downloaded as
    '128_character sounds of the sea.wav'.
    If so, the solution is to store each one in a different subdirectory
    on the server, e.g.
    http://www.server.example/~Brett/files/00/128_characte sounds of the sea.wav
    http://www.server.example/~Brett/files/01/128_characte sounds of the sea.wav
    http://www.server.example/~Brett/files/99/128_characte sounds of the sea.wav
    Maybe the OP's web hosting does not allow subdirectories.

    2. Maybe the OP's web server doesn't allow file names with spaces, and
    the OP doesn't want to use '128_character_sounds_of_the_sea.wav'

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    somewhere else." -- Sam Walton