HTML guidence wanted

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Watcher of the Skies, Feb 4, 2004.

  1. I am learning HTML by the "look to see how they did it and see if it would
    work for me" method.

    I also am trying to develop a web form and want an entered value to be sent
    to me in TWO fields, but only entered at one point.

    -
    something on the lines of:-
    <input name="phone.num" size = "17" value = "">
    <input type "hidden" name = "call.back.on" value = value(phone.num)>

    so that the customer only types in their phone number once, and sees only
    one entry field.

    to result on the filled form I receive as :-
    phone.num = 0123 456 789
    call.back.on = 0123 456 789

    I hope this makes sense to someone even if it is syntactically a load of
    gobble-d-gook

    any help would be greatly received.

    TTFN

    Watcher of the Skies, Feb 4, 2004

  2. Watcher of the Skies

    Boomer Guest

    Maybe ask over at alt.html also.

    Boomer, Feb 4, 2004

  3. Watcher of the Skies

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 15:18:22 -0000, Watcher of the Skies wrote:

    >I am learning HTML by the "look to see how they did it and see if it would
    >work for me" method.
    >
    >I also am trying to develop a web form and want an entered value to be sent

    So you are processing the form how?

    >to me in TWO fields, but only entered at one point.

    Before fixing the HTML to make it work, how about having a look at

    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/interact/forms.html
    17 Forms

    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/
    How to write HTML forms

    http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_forms.asp
    Forms Tutorial

    http://www.webcom.com/~webcom/html/tutor/forms/
    Forms Tutorial

    >-
    >something on the lines of:-

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Feb 4, 2004
  4. Watcher of the Skies

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 15:18:22 -0000, Watcher of the Skies wrote:

    >I am learning HTML by the "look to see how they did it and see if it would
    >work for me" method.
    >
    >I also am trying to develop a web form and want an entered value to be sent
    >to me in TWO fields, but only entered at one point.

    A bit of careful arrangement of words in www.google.com finds a few
    things.

    Searched the web for
    html form copy field values

    <snip>

    >to result on the filled form I receive as :-
    >phone.num = 0123 456 789
    >call.back.on = 0123 456 789

    Why bother doing it on the form, you are sending back one field so make
    the server app duplicate the value. If it's the same value think about
    why you need it duplicated in the first place.

    Me

    why?, Feb 4, 2004

    http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp
    --