html for out indent

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Frank Thompson, Nov 10, 2006.

  1. What is the html code for out indent (indenting to left)?

    Frank Thompson, Nov 10, 2006

  2. Frank Thompson wrote:

    > What is the html code for out indent (indenting to left)?

    What exactly do you want to outdent? A paragraph? The entire paragraph
    or just the first line?

    Use CSS. Place the following in your style sheet:

    ..outdent {
    margin-left: -3em;
    }

    The HTML:

    This paragraph will be outdented. Whether or not the left margin can be
    seen depends on where the paragraph is placed.

    What is your ultimate goal, and do you have a sample page somewhere?
    URL?

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 10, 2006

  3. Frank Thompson

    richard Guest

    "Frank Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > What is the html code for out indent (indenting to left)?

    In CSS use text-align:left;

    text-align:center
    text-align:right

    richard, Nov 10, 2006
  4. richard wrote:

    > "Frank Thompson" <> wrote:
    >> What is the html code for out indent (indenting to left)?

    > In CSS use text-align:left;

    Wrong again, Robin.

    That is a text alignment, not an outdent. Pay attention.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 10, 2006
  5. Frank Thompson

    richard Guest

    > richard wrote:
    >
    >> "Frank Thompson" <> wrote:
    >>> What is the html code for out indent (indenting to left)?

    >> In CSS use text-align:left;

    > Wrong again, Robin.
    >
    > That is a text alignment, not an outdent. Pay attention.

    There is no "outdent" or "indent" in html or css.
    Text justification can only be done with text-align as I showed.
    "margin" merely moves text from the border or from it's original starting
    point.
    Since he stated "indenting to left", I assumed he wanted to left justify the
    text.

    richard, Nov 10, 2006
  6. Frank Thompson

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 07:14:50 -0700, richard Has Frothed:

    > "Frank Thompson" <> wrote in message
    >> What is the html code for out indent (indenting to left)?
    >>

    > In CSS use text-align:left;

    > text-align:center
    > text-align:right

    Once again you show just how little you know.

    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Nov 10, 2006
  7. Frank Thompson

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 09:04:33 -0700, richard wrote:

    >"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in message
    >> richard wrote:

    >>> In CSS use text-align:left;

    >> Wrong again, Robin.
    >>
    >> That is a text alignment, not an outdent. Pay attention.
    >>

    >There is no "outdent" or "indent" in html or css.

    Too right there isn't, that's why a user can create thier own class
    called outdent or indent as required and use the property that suits
    best.

    >Text justification can only be done with text-align as I showed.
    >"margin" merely moves text from the border or from it's original starting
    >point.
    >Since he stated "indenting to left", I assumed he wanted to left justify the

    Ident isn't justify.

    >text.

    Me

    why?, Nov 10, 2006
  8. richard wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:
    >> richard wrote:

    >>> In CSS use text-align:left;

    >> Wrong again, Robin.
    >>
    >> That is a text alignment, not an outdent. Pay attention.

    > There is no "outdent" or "indent" in html or css.

    There are no *elements* or *attributes* that outdent. You need to move
    the border of the piece to be outdented.

    > Text justification

    Justification? Where did the OP mention justification?

    > can only be done with text-align as I showed.

    Wrong again, Robin.

    > "margin" merely moves text from the border or from it's original
    > starting point.

    ...which produces the outdent.

    "margin" (margin-left, in this case) - with a negative value -
    *outdents* the element - the paragraph or div or whatever he wants to
    *outdent*.

    > Since he stated "indenting to left", I assumed he wanted to left justify the
    > text.

    You assumed incorrectly, as usual. Indenting/Outdenting are not the
    same as Justifying.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 10, 2006
  9. Frank Thompson

    why? Guest

    On 10 Nov 2006 05:11:39 -0800, Frank Thompson wrote:

    >What is the html code for out indent (indenting to left)?

    Would prefer he text-indent property, over the margin-left.

    It really depends what you are doing, this is for the 1st line.

    http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS1#text-indent

    5.4.7 'text-indent'

    Value: <length> | <percentage>
    Initial: 0
    Applies to: block-level elements
    Inherited: yes
    Percentage values: refer to parent element's width

    The property specifies the indentation that appears before the first
    formatted line. The value of 'text-indent' may be negative, but there
    may be implementation-specific limits. An indentation is not inserted in
    the middle of an element that was broken by another (such as 'BR' in
    HTML).

    Example:
    P { text-indent: 3em }

    See the example in the CSS Test Suite
    http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/
    the Level 1 indent examples are
    http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/CSS1/current/
    while the margin which applies to the box model (you don't want to know
    :) ) are
    http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/CSS1/current/sec55.htm

    Me

    why?, Nov 10, 2006
  10. why? wrote:

    > http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS1#text-indent
    >
    > 5.4.7 'text-indent'

    Yes, thanks for mentioning that. In my first post, I suggested that we
    needed to know if the OP wanted to outdent an entire paragraph, or just
    the first line. Then I forgot to mention "text-indent". <g>

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 10, 2006
  11. richard wrote:

    >> richard wrote:

    >>> In CSS use text-align:left;

    >> Wrong again, Robin.
    >>
    >> That is a text alignment, not an outdent. Pay attention.
    >>

    > There is no "outdent" or "indent" in html or css.

    Really?

    --
    Refunds all around for Dreamweaver 8.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Nov 10, 2006
  12. Frank Thompson

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 16:55:20 GMT, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    >why? wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS1#text-indent
    >>
    >> 5.4.7 'text-indent'

    >Yes, thanks for mentioning that. In my first post, I suggested that we
    >needed to know if the OP wanted to outdent an entire paragraph, or just
    >the first line. Then I forgot to mention "text-indent". <g>

    Just blame it on the OP, ask a question without saying what's required.

    Maybe I should have went on with the box model example and margin. It
    was hard enough having the course tutor pound it into our heads at the
    time.

    Me

    why?, Nov 10, 2006
  13. why? wrote:

    > On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 16:55:20 GMT, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >
    >> why? wrote:
    >>> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS1#text-indent
    >>>
    >>> 5.4.7 'text-indent'

    >> Yes, thanks for mentioning that. In my first post, I suggested that
    >> we needed to know if the OP wanted to outdent an entire paragraph,
    >> or just the first line. Then I forgot to mention "text-indent". <g>

    > Just blame it on the OP, ask a question without saying what's
    > required.

    Well, there is that, too. :)

    > Maybe I should have went on with the box model example and margin. It
    > was hard enough having the course tutor pound it into our heads at
    > the time.

    A university course? You'd be lucky, then. All the courses at the two
    community colleges and the one university in my neck o' the woods all
    have the stipulation "Microsoft FrontPage is required."

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 10, 2006
  14. Frank Thompson

    x@y Guest

    Hello Beauregard,

    You have my late answer on the Subject:
    "File Association" Thread of Nov. 03,2006 10:50 PM

    Thanks x@y

    x@y, Nov 10, 2006
  15. Frank Thompson

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 17:58:56 GMT, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    >why? wrote:

    >>> Yes, thanks for mentioning that. In my first post, I suggested that
    >>> we needed to know if the OP wanted to outdent an entire paragraph,
    >>> or just the first line. Then I forgot to mention "text-indent". <g>

    >> Just blame it on the OP, ask a question without saying what's
    >> required.

    >Well, there is that, too. :)
    >
    >> Maybe I should have went on with the box model example and margin. It
    >> was hard enough having the course tutor pound it into our heads at
    >> the time.

    >A university course? You'd be lucky, then. All the courses at the two
    >community colleges and the one university in my neck o' the woods all
    >have the stipulation "Microsoft FrontPage is required."

    Online course http://www.hwg.org/ , the tutor was Eric Meyer, yes that
    one. Talk about tough assignments.

    He was even nice enough to send me a signed copy of Eric Meyer on CSS
    for my birthday and as a survivor of the course.

    Me

    why?, Nov 10, 2006
  16. why? wrote:

    > On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 17:58:56 GMT, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> A university course? You'd be lucky, then. All the courses at the
    >> two community colleges and the one university in my neck o' the
    >> woods all have the stipulation "Microsoft FrontPage is required."

    > Online course http://www.hwg.org/ , the tutor was Eric Meyer, yes
    > that one. Talk about tough assignments.
    >
    > He was even nice enough to send me a signed copy of Eric Meyer on CSS
    > for my birthday and as a survivor of the course.

    Ah, good! Makes me want to send the link to the college instructors
    here. Congratulations.

    And now, for your next assignment, please fix the above page. :-0

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 10, 2006